The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Killer train gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Haven't you tried the card on window in a train like Copperfield did in one of his specials?
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
No, haven't tried that one! Smile

I'm on again tomorrow (Saturday, June 4th). I'll post a report about the show tomorrow night.

Update: June 5 2005

Had a great time tonight with a full train. Most of the folks sat in the open-air cars. It was a beautiful evening, about 75 degrees and gorgeous scenery.

One really fun thing that happened tonight while I was in the open-air car: I was doing my Amb Card routine and was near the end, about to do the Pop Up move. I was displaying the "selection" with the bend in it when a sudden gust of wind blew the card right out of my hand and off the train! Everyone was surprised and felt genuinely sorry for me that the trick had been ruined. I said, "Well, it probably isn't gonna work NOW... (big laugh from audience)... but I'll give it a try anyway." I hold the deck up with my right hand, snap my left fingers and a bent card appears on top! Everyone went absolutely ballistic! The response lasted for 2 or 3 minutes--they just could not believe their eyes, and thought the whole thing was part of the trick!

Thank God for the DL!!!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
That was a great finale to the ACR, Scott. Although we have to say it can't always be done. Smile
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
If you guys haven't read Scott's fuller account on his blog (blog at http://scottfguinn.blogspot.com/, story at http://scottfguinn.blogspot.com/2005/06/......ine.html ), check it out! Sounds like a great night.

BTW, Scott's blog is the best magic blog out there. If you're into blogs, go read it and add it to your RSS viewer. If you're not into blogs, now's the time to get into them.

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Envy, envy, envy! What a cool gig! Trains are SO much safer than buses! A few years ago, Jeff Bibik, myself and one other magician were scheduled to work a special event bus ride (3 busses, at different times) from McCormick Place on Chicago's lakefront (it looks like the box Disneyland came in) out to the headquarters of Computer Discount Warehouse (CDW), which is about a 90 minute ride in good traffic.

Traffic was NOT good that day. Nor were some of the other things that happened. The first magician's trip evidently went just fine, but took almost 2.5 hours. Jeff went out and, in traffic, reportedly took a spill when the driver swerved suddenly to avoid an idiot driver (we breed them for size, speed and agility in Chicago, folks!).

When my turn came, the CDW person who was supposed to take me down to the bus literally RAN off like a scared jackrabbit, leaving me standing there looking like the magical idiot we all know. I wound up working the hospitality party at the Green Dolphin Street restaurant instead (a great jazz venue, I might add) and they loved that, but a damper got thrown on that as well. It was the day of the Columbine shootings. I heard about it in the cab on the way over to the gig. I vowed never to work a bus gig from that point on.

Next time I'll know to take the train!

Scott, you have a great gig there! Nurture it!!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
RealDeal JU
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
375 Posts

Profile of RealDeal JU
Speaking of a "Killer" train gig, has anyone ever seen the movie Terror Train? David Copperfield is a magician perfroming on the train. I watched this movie once not even knowing it had anything to do with magic. Sorry I couldn't help myself with asking the question espically since the title to this topic is killer train gig.. lol

Jim
"Challenge yourself to come up with your own

material, rather than buying into the idea that

you have to do the same thing that everyone

else is doing to be a good magician."
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Scott-

Just had a look at the link to the website you provided-Fantastic-I loved it

What a beautiful train & scenery-What a great place to perform-The wonders of the magicical entertainer!

Well done on a top gig- & Im sure knowing how good you are the people are thoroughly entertained & have a great day with you included

Plaudits to you Scott!!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Thanks for your kind comments, guys!

Lee, I've done magic on buses, too! The last one was at 6 AM on a bus traveling the winding mountain roads of central Idaho. I was facing the back of the bus (no window), it was stiflingly hot, the driver was speeding because we were behind schedule, I hadn't eaten and only had about 3 hours of sleep the previous night. I was supposed to do an hour. After 30 minutes, I was white as a sheet, sweating profusely and ready to vomit at any moment. I had to sit the rest of the performance out. The client was VERY understanding and apologetic, and still paid me the full performance fee, but I was pretty embarrassed. Nothing remotely like that has ever happened on the train. (Thank God!)
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown
View Profile
New user
Niagara, Ontario
68 Posts

Profile of Hobie the Magical Hobo Clown
That is so great. Envy here too.
One Mustn't study a magician to closely,
Never look up his sleeve,
Never look under his hat,
Just sit back and let him do his act.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Quote:
On 2005-03-13 17:19, mandrake01 wrote:
We have one like that here in Rhode Island, but I didn't get the gig.

are you talking about the Newport Dinner Train ??
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Killer train gig (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL