The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Hunter Shuffle (DVD) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I saw an online video demonstartion for this ( http://penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=990 ). Am I wrong, or is this The Zarrow Shuffle with a different name?
~Joe
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
To me it looks like a Zarrow without the covering. Which I think is a lot like the shuffle that is in Tarbell (Osterlind uses it on his thigh during his OBCS dvd).
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Scott, thanks for the referneces to comapre.

J.
~Joe
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
This is the Shank Shuffle.... which is a variant of the Sky Shuffle (I believe). Nothing new here...

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
SniperX
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of SniperX
Looks Shank Shuffle to me, maybe he should read some books before creding himself as creator.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
While the mechanics of it are *NOT* original to him, take a look at his hand position and actual movements of the cards and hands.

While this should probably be titled something like "Hunter's shank shuffle", it doesn't look like he has completly ripped off the shank shuffle.

The hand positions and movements ect are actually pretty good at covering the downsides of the shank/sky shuffle, and AFAIK are original to Hunter.

Actually this isn't a shank or sky shuffle at all but the mechanics are actually I believe out of tarbell.... Gary Plants has the correct citation for this type of shuffle(zarrow without cover) in his booklet on the zarrow.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I stills ain't buying it.
"Illusion is the first of all pleasures."
Oscar Wilde

"If you only knew the hours I spent just thinking about practicing"
-The Amazing Jonathan
14allnall41
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of 14allnall41
Steve Reynolds has some work on the Zarrow that looks remarkably similiar to this as well.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Even if it is new, to a layperson, the zarrow is going to look EXACTLY the same. Why not just learn the Zarrow?
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Quote:
On 2005-03-14 11:55, stannmaple wrote:
Even if it is new, to a layperson, the zarrow is going to look EXACTLY the same. Why not just learn the Zarrow?

Exellent point. To me it just looks like a Zarrow Shuffle with a different postioning of the cards when being pushed together.
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Its not a Zarrow... this particular shuffle is known as the "Shank Shuffle" (which pre-dates Zarrow according to this thread).

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=2

S.Segal
simply Sydney DVD here!
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Another great product from Penguin Magic!
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2005-03-14 11:55, stannmaple wrote:

That's the exact way I feel about "his" shuffle (and I think that a Zarrow looks 10x better than a Shank shuffle anyway). His Total Control dvd gives me the same feeling, if you're going to bother making this gimmicked card (which I suspect is just a corner short) then why not use a breather crimp? I admit they made a good argument in the ad, a breather crimp may lose it's feel through weather or your hand conditions. But, this all depends on how long someone uses their deck of cards. Many magicians only use a deck of cards for 1 performance and they toss it. I only use a deck of cards for 1-2 weeks, my breather crimp has no trouble keeping up. Why would you go through the trouble of using a different method (or even a gimmick) than a breather crimp if it works fine as is? If you do most of your card work in a sauna then buy his total control dvd.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Martin Nashs's "Infinity" card isa diabolical method for accomplishing card control. You can even do it with a borrowed deck. Ingenious!!!!

:dancing:
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Cardguy52
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Cardguy52
His Total Control would be great for someone just stating in card magic and is not comfortable with crimp work. For the pro, the same effects can be produced either a breather or infinity crimp.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Yep, it's best to be a crimp chimp!!!!!!!!!!
:sun:
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ctgalex
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Ctgalex
I guess Zarrow shuffle is so such cleaner than this one. This "Hunter shuffle" requires you handto cover the front of the deck while the other hand push the the halves together. But Zarrow Shuffle doesn't require all that.
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
The Hunter Shuffle is no longer available at Penguin!
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Just noticed that too Jason... Kudos to Penguin for dropping this ripoff.

S.Segal
simply Sydney DVD here!
Randy
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
261 Posts

Profile of Randy
This shuffle is actually the Oeink Shuffle. The real expert on this and the Zarrow is Gary Plants. Get his manuscript on the Zarrow which also teaches the Oeink.
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Hunter Shuffle (DVD) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL