The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How many times can you get away with the same trick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
I'm thinking here...

And when the people say: "Can you do a trick for my friend?"
You say: "Yes!"
And he says: "So do that trick that you steal the watch of the guy!!"

AND NOW WHAT???? Smile Smile

All the best,

Mesquita

Any ideas???? Smile Smile Smile Smile

Thanks
"Siempre somos tres me acompańa la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I would say, "Let me show you something even better!" and do something neither of them has seen. Or at least perform something that has a better chance of success when the outcome is known or expected.

It is pretty much impossible to steal a watch undetected if the victim knows it's coming.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
Thanks Joe Berkley, my idea is just do another pick pocketing, like steal his Wallet!!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile

I did this one time, and it works better!!!!!!!!!!

All the best,

Mesquita
"Siempre somos tres me acompańa la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
sharingan
View Profile
New user
Finland
48 Posts

Profile of sharingan
I may do trick again if it is so easy that there is simply no way to show it is done. And so that there is many possible position where they think I can do the actual trick so they will not no where I do the actual trick.
dunlop
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, UK
201 Posts

Profile of dunlop
Even if you're very good at sleight of hand, it's very dangerous to do the same trick
to the same person more than one time. Think about this:
- They already know what is the effect, there is no surprise.
- They'll be focused on your hands at anytime (if they're that kind of persons who want's to "get" you).
- Misdirection will be hundred times harder to do.

If they insist, just tell them ok, and go ond wth another trick that you know they'll like, they'll completly forget to ask you for the other effect.
bigchuck
View Profile
Veteran user
Nothing clever has ever been said in my
400 Posts

Profile of bigchuck
Mesquita -- if you go into another routine as cover for the watch steal & THEN steal his watch so you can use that more as a kicker ending I think you can pull it off... personally, I don't do watch steals, but have seen a few & Greg Wilson has a couple pretty novel approaches in his 'On The Spot' video.

As regards to repeating the same effect -- I don't do that anymore except in scenarios like Blindbo mentioned, you are just asking to get busted if you do --unless you have a completely different methodology to accomplish the effect.
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. - Frank Zappa"
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
I think it's pretty common for magicians to believe that it is never a good idea to show the same trick to an audience more than once. I certainly wouldn't advise three times or more but there are some conditions when it's OK to do something twice (e.g. ambitious card perhaps using a slightly different technique/set of techniques/in a different order (or if you are so well rehearsed that you can do it in your sleep without fear of getting 'caught out')).

I agree with those above though that it's never a good idea if an audience member is asking for something specifically. They will never be amazed by the second performance as much as they were by the first.

If you can, do a very similar trick that uses a different method (e.g. Blizzard - Mental Photography Deck), if that's not possible I would do something completely different (e.g. using coins instead of cards or a vanishing silk instead of cut and restored rope).
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
liam-j-gilbert
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
121 Posts

Profile of liam-j-gilbert
Once is a trick, twice is a lesson.

Need we say more?
www.liamgilbert.co.uk -- for info, booking or queries on Liam Gilbert
Jason Cardwell
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Jason Cardwell
The issue of repeating tricks has been pretty well covered, but I had two related thoughts:
1) Even the first time you perform a trick for someone, you don't want to let them know ahead of time what you are going to do. (And now, I will make the egg disappear!) As has already been stated, it is the surprise ending that gives almost any magic trick its power.
2) In my experience, almost ANY trick in isolation seems to invite the spectator to try to puzzle out how it was done. The best way I know to avoid the request (do that again!) is to be moving on to the next part of a ROUTINE before they have time to move from amazement to analysis. Of course, you still have the problem of the last trick...
gngorick
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of gngorick
Besides saying "I'll show you something even better," what other lines are there to get out of this situation? For those who are familiar with coin bending, you have probably realised that you will be asked to repeat it over and over agian. No matter what I do (showing them another effect etc), that one trick tends to stick with them. They will always ask for me to repeat it (with the audience burning your hands and trying to spot some sort of switch or sleight etc). The same goes with the pen to ear effect (Son of Recap from CulturalXChange 2). How do you get out of these situations?
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Michaels
The element of surprise is an important component to good routining in magic. When a spectator sees a trick for a second time the "element of surprise" is lost, and therefore, the strength of the impact is lost. It's not much different than already knowing the ending of a movie or knowing the punchline to a joke.
Top of the day,
Michaels
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How many times can you get away with the same trick? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL