The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Story telling with a packet of cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lynne Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of Lynne Kelly
I am interested in using about six cards to represent characters (probably from special decks) to tell stories - folk tales and stories which make a point. I want to use various false counts, and maybe a double lift and turnovers, to have, say, four of the cards appear in each count through. I'd like to use some of the beautiful artwork decks, such as on some tarot and character decks, for stories I particularly want to tell. I want to do my own script.

I have Card College which has two sections on 'False Display Counts' so can work from that. I also have videos of basic card sleights. I want to be able to use any deck, not gaffed cards.

Can anyone recommend books or DVDs/videos which shows narrative being enhanced by lovely card handling? Or maybe a different direction to achieve the same goal?

Lynne
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
Check out Color Monte , it uses only four cards and comes with a story and handling . With a little imagination you could make your own story,and the cards are examinable. You could also incorporate many packet tricks although many of these use cards that are not examinable. Eugene Burger uses many stories in his effects as well. I hope that helps.
Magic is Everywhere
Jonathan Rice
View Profile
Loyal user
Maryland
223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Rice
Even though this does not directly refer to what you asked about, A good story telling trick is an Ace Assembly. You can tell a story around it wheather it be a dream or etc. A good Ace Assembly is "A dream of Aces" Enjoy!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Gamble Amble is a very strong story packet trick by Louis Tannen. I don't know if Tannen still has it, but it's in their catalog.

Hideo Kato
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Bill Malone has one in one of his On The Loose DVDs using 4 cards. I'm not sure which volume it is in. If you wanna use a whole deck with children stories, check out Guy Hollingworth's Once Upon A Time. There is 3 stories in there, Cinderella, Goldilocks and the 3 Bears, and Jack and the Bean Stalk. Hope this helps
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Check out Robert Neale "Life, Death & other card tricks". Lots of stories with cards.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
mgical
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of mgical
Have a look at Once Upon a Time by Guy Hollingsworth (Don't be put off when you see his name, this isn't up to his normal knucklebreaking levels!) It is a special deck designed to tell fairystories. It may not be something you actually use in the end (since you wanted to write your own scripts) but it shows a nice way to tell stories using a special deck.
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Quote:
On 2005-03-13 08:03, amerigo wrote:
Check out Color Monte , it uses only four cards and comes with a story and handling . With a little imagination you could make your own story,and the cards are examinable. You could also incorporate many packet tricks although many of these use cards that are not examinable. Eugene Burger uses many stories in his effects as well. I hope that helps.

Color Monte actually only uses 3 cards, which are examinable at the end. An alternate handling and MUCH better story (with a moral) is Gypsy Monte 2003 by R. Paul Wilson.

Look into "Sam the Bellhop" as well. There are lots of different ways to do that story, or you could take the idea and write your own story. Sam [usually] only uses normal cards.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
Thanks Joe
You are correct of course it is 3 cards { early morning post ,for me anyway}
Magic is Everywhere
Lynne Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of Lynne Kelly
Thank you for so many interesting suggestions so quickly - much appreciated. I intend to follow up on all of them. I have read some Eugene Berger and will read more. I have been inspired to take this road by my success with a Christian Chelman routine, and that my personal style really suits story telling. Plus the pure pleasure I get when I watch a good magician using cards well - artistically as well as deceptively.

My local magic store will be rejoicing their increased profits when they know I have been asking questions here!

Lynne
Whitewolfny
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Whitewolfny
Hi Lynne,
I'm sorry I really can't give you suggestions on tricks or story lines as I'm not that deep into what's available, however, I just wanted to say I really like your concepts and where you want to go with your card handling. Sounds to me like you have a great imagination to create wonderful stories. Best of luck on your project.
Braxton Mannar
<BR>Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks Smile
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
946 Posts

Profile of Aus
Hi Lynne

Card Magic for Child has always be of interest of mine and up to recently I have had much luck in presenting a number of card effects, which tell a story and have special printed cards depicting numerous charters. I’m not sure who your target audience is but I’ll share two effects that’s I have developed so far.

One effect is a simple card transportation, where on cards I a Green frog and one is a blue from and a child holds a four inch linking ring as a hoop and magically the cards transpose jumping through the hoop.

Another effect is the very old trick of two thieves, two barns and the sheep. Where two the thieves wonder in each barn nabbing sheep until they are interrupted by some passers by and quickly put them Back. Finally ending with all sheep in one barn and the two thieves in the other.

A big tip in selecting a story for cards effects in take vist to your local library for a book on short storys and see how many of them can be adapted.

Magically

Aus
Nick B
View Profile
New user
London, England
59 Posts

Profile of Nick B
Hi Lynne

Like your idea!

Have you seen "Twins"? It appears on one of Michael Ammar's "Easy to Master Card Miracles (Vol. 3?) and uses Bro. John Hamman's Gemini Count which might well suit you, in terms of a false count / display. I think it (the count) also appears in Card College, but can't be sure.

Hope this helps.

Nick
Nick
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
327 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
A lot of good suggestions here. And while Sam the Bellhop is one of my all-time favorite storytelling tricks, I probably wouldn't recommend it for this particular thread. Not only does it require the whole deck (as opposed to the 6 or so cards requested here), but it requires a lot of advanced false shuffles and card handling.

Again, nothing that can't be mastered with practice, but I kind of got the impression that this would be a little too advanced for the post in question.

I have to echo many other's by saying Color Monte is probably the best small packet trick out there which involves a story. It's funny, cheap in price, and best of all, it's completely examinable!
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
You could check out Spooky Villa. I don't know any more about this effect than you'll see on that page, but it looks pretty cool and about what you asked for (6 cards representing characters to tell a story).

Here's another one from the same site.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Lynne Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of Lynne Kelly
Quote:
On 2005-03-15 11:10, Jeff_Mash wrote:
Not only does it require the whole deck (as opposed to the 6 or so cards requested here), but it requires a lot of advanced false shuffles and card handling.

Again, nothing that can't be mastered with practice, but I kind of got the impression that this would be a little too advanced for the post in question.

The suggestions are very much appreciated - and even more is the encouragment. That's what I need most as my brain and hands are not yet fully co-ordinated when there is a deck of cards in them. Jeff is right in suggesting I need fairly simple handing at the moment - I am working hard on the card handling, but not there yet. I want to expand this concpet in my performances, so will follow up on it all so I know where I am heading.

My logic is good, though! I have finally got a sequence which does the display I want using six tarot cards (including the magician of course!) and uses only the sequencing, with double and triple lifts and push-offs. I should have it working well enough to show at the magic club meeting next week. I find that if the guys there can see what I am asking, it is much easier for them to offer advice. So I will take my rough version in and let their expertise polish it for me.

I have also asked The Magic Store guys here in Melbourne about the books and videos recommended here. By co-incidence, I have just received the Michael Ammar set, and hadn't yet looked at Volume 3. I am still trying everything on the first one. Did you all find, as beginners, that every new DVD and book just inspired too much, and it is hard to concentrate on getting a few things to good performance level? I want to do it all!

Between Ammar and Osterlind, I have enough inspiration for a lifetime! Then there's Royal Road and Card College and Mind, Myth and Magik and Corinda and Lewis Jones and Christian Chelman and Eugene Berger and ...

Thank you for being so encouraging!

Lynne
mikeflex
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of mikeflex
You can make up a good story around the CardToons decks.
toonomads
View Profile
Regular user
Albuquerque, NM, USA
172 Posts

Profile of toonomads
You might also seek out performances by Juan Tamariz and Rene Lavand who both utilize stories as well as their formidable personas to elevate their routines.
One for the Money
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of One for the Money
Another good one would be "Cannibal Cards" by Lin Searles. It's taught on Michael Ammars Easy to Master Card Miracles Vol. 1.
Lynne Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of Lynne Kelly
Thanks to everyone for their help. I have now watched the Ammar DVDs as recommended and got a better idea of what I want to do. Spooky Villa looked like fun - but at this stage I don't want to use anything but the cards. Interesting to think about in the future, though. I will see if I can get a chance to see something of Juan Tamariz and Rene Lavand. You have all been a big help. I am getting a good idea of what is possible and what I want to do.

Someone mentioned elsewhere that I should look into 'Card Stories' by Ariel Frailich.

Another one mentioned was 'Pasteboard Presentations'.

Does anyone know them and if they are along the lines I mean?

I have done searches on both on The Magic Café but didn't get the information to know if it is what I need. Ammar's Twins was a big help. I am being shown Gypsy Monte and Color Monte on Monday (I have been promised!). I think what I need to do is work on the various display counts and then try them out and see if I can get the effect I want. Plus try out the one I have now developed and see what sort of reaction I get. Could be such that I give up on the whole idea. But then again, it might not!

Thanks again,

Lynne
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Story telling with a packet of cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL