We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Story telling with a packet of cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Two words: Wild Card. The changes can show a lot of things - progressive improvement in product quality, uniform levels of education, the ability to improve to a new level, the ability to change behavior - all sorts of things - and the number of cards (9) is close to what you want and varying the routine down to seven cards isn't difficult. No tough sleights and a killer finish.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Lynne Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of Lynne Kelly
Hi Lee,

Thank you for this recommendation. I have done a search. Do you mean Wild Card by Frank Garcia? This reads like a different approach again. Fascinating. I will look into it.

Once I have explored all of these, I will have the background to develop what I want.

Thank you again.

Lynne
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Lynne,

Ariel Frailich's web site is http://www.isawthat.com It's a bit confusing as how to enter his site, so go to the right hand corner and click on "English". Christian Chelman is a contributor to the Café and often post in the Bizzarist forum if you also want to check that out. You'll get some help there as well I'm sure.

Good luck to you!

Chrystal
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Yes, Wild Card is the routine that Frank Garcia made famous, but it has a much longer history that I won't go into right now. It's one of what I consider to be the three greatest packet tricks out there and the one that seems to best address your initial request, even if it is a bit gimmicky.

I've been doing Wild Card since about 1975 and I never fail to enjoy the response it gets from the people watching it.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
burgerinc
View Profile
Regular user
Sin City
196 Posts

Profile of burgerinc
I am really going to second Robert Neale's Life, Death and other Card Tricks. Great story sources and surprisingly a good resource on learning different counts, probably one of the best written descriptions of the Elmsley I have seen. If you are looking for something visual perhaps the Magical Voyages of Eugene Burger. Very inspirational for story telling magic.
Lynne Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of Lynne Kelly
Thank you to everyone for these ideas. I have managed to borrow quite a few of the items mentioned, with the intention of buying anything I go ahead and use. I shall spend Easter enjoying them.

So far, the reaction to the simple one I have developed has been really good, so I intend to go on with this concept. From the items receommended here I can see ways to gain a lot more from what I am doing, but it will take time and work - as all good magic does.

I really appreciate the advice!

Lynne

Update: March 31 2005

Quote:
On 2005-03-13 12:49, BerkleyJL wrote:

Color Monte actually only uses 3 cards, which are examinable at the end. An alternate handling and MUCH better story (with a moral) is Gypsy Monte 2003 by R. Paul Wilson.

Look into "Sam the Bellhop" as well. There are lots of different ways to do that story, or you could take the idea and write your own story. Sam [usually] only uses normal cards.

I have now checked out a lot of what was recommended and found Gypsy Monte is by far the closest to what I meant. I watched it on Paul Wilson's 'Knock'em Dead' video when strongly recommended it at my magic club as well as by Joe here. I love it!

I also watched Sam the Bellhop and thoroughly enjoyed Bill Malone's presentation, but my intention is to use a small packet of special cards, not a full deck. I do lots of psychic and gypsy type things, so Gypsy Monte is perfect for me. My current handling of my own version with six cards is now working well, but hasn't got the same magical punch as Gypsy Monte. It does have a more complex story line to tell the story I want to tell.

So now I will work up Gypsy Monte and work on my own versions with more cards and see what happens. Magic means you never have time to be bored!

Thank you everyone for all the help.

Lynne
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Hi Lynne (good to see another Kelly in the Café! Smile)

If you like Gypsy Monte, I would definitely recommennd that you buy R Paul Wilson's marketed effect of the same name. This comes with a much better ending with the "killer" card when used with a mini-himber wallet. It really is worth purchasing and would put the final "nail in the coffin" in your story.

Apologies for the cheap puns!

Roger
Lynne Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of Lynne Kelly
Quote:
On 2005-04-03 06:27, Cardiac Arrest wrote:

If you like Gypsy Monte, I would definitely recommend that you buy R Paul Wilson's marketed effect of the same name. This comes with a much better ending with the "killer" card when used with a mini-himber wallet. It really is worth purchasing and would put the final "nail in the coffin" in your story.

Apologies for the cheap puns!

Cheap puns much enjoyed. I do like Gypsy Monte very much and appreciate your recommendation and description. I also believe in buying whatever I use to repay the originator. You have now got me onto a pet topic, though. If any of those who talk magic with me have read your reply, they will have done the full psychic thing and predicted my response.

Wallets and pockets. [I can hear them groan!] I wear gypsy like clothes (not just stage, that's me anyway) and women don't usually have pockets nor carry wallets. For your own amusement one day, skim a book on cards or mentalism (the two fields I mainly read in) and note how often wallets and pockets are mentioned. There is so much I'd like to do with a Himber wallet, but can't find a way I would have it naturally with me. It is so clearly a man's wallet. I can disguise it as something else, but then I may lose the value of it being a normal wallet. Some women would use a wallet, but I am very much velvet and long, full skirts and spider rings and junk, so a neat leather wallet is just not me.

I do carry a large velvet handbag with pockets sewn in (and spiders sewn on) and a close-up pouch with my effects in decorated envelopes. I do adapt things to a non-pocket way, and have the advantage of the handbag enabling me to carry more props than a jacket - so it's swings and round-abouts. And I love making the props. But can I adapt the finish in the marketed Gypsy Monte effect? This may not be easy to answer fully without giving anything away, so an opinion without explanation will be fine.

Thanks!

Lynne
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Hi Lynne,

I'm thinking that if you need a switching device that a 'Devil's Hanky/Napkin', old looking 'Buddha Papers' would be good for your character.
There are some nice velvet change bags without the wood handles available too.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2005-04-03 06:51, Lynne Kelly wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-04-03 06:27, Cardiac Arrest wrote:

If you like Gypsy Monte, I would definitely recommend that you buy R Paul Wilson's marketed effect of the same name. This comes with a much better ending with the "killer" card when used with a mini-himber wallet. It really is worth purchasing and would put the final "nail in the coffin" in your story.

I do like Gypsy Monte very much and appreciate your recommendation and description... ...But can I adapt the finish in the marketed Gypsy Monte effect? This may not be easy to answer fully without giving anything away, so an opinion without explanation will be fine.

Hi Lynne

Very interesting. I see where you're coming from. Perhaps it was a little stupid of me, in the first place, to even consider a himber wallet was appropriate for a lady magician! (I'm always being told to think outside the box!)

If you're good with making your own props then play around with some kinda switching device. (Dont use a 'switcheroo' though - the thing is to small for the Gypsy Monte cards - I've tried it!)

It sounds to me though, now knowing your style, that the original Gypsy Monte will suffice with the cards being removed from one of the pockets in the handbag.

If a little comedy is your 'bag' - get a copy of "The Dave Campbell Legacy" and try "Alcohol Monte." Similarly using three cards whilst reciting a rather lengthy and funny poem. But I suspect that your presentational style is a little darker? Which, if is the case, have you visited Peter Marucci's site:

http://www.online-visions.com/bizarre/

There's a plethora of goodies there!

Good luck

Roger
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1346 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Others have mentioned Twins as an excellent story trick. As you get it down, you can ADD to the story, do your own displacements. I do both a gay and straight version!!! Just takes a little displacement. The idea is that you don't have to copy Hamman's story verbatim. You can make up your own!
Lynne Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of Lynne Kelly
Thank you to everyone for all these ideas. I have now had a few weeks of the pure joy of new discoveries. Another Lynne! Twins is a good one to play around with. Thanks.

I have now performed my six card story routine a number of times to a very good response. I will follow this theme for a while and improve on what I am developing.

I am also close to performing Gypsy Monte which I adore. R. Paul Wilson has a new fan. I now have his video (Knock'em Dead) and find I like everything on it. I will follow through on the marketed effect.

Roger: don't worry about the himber wallet thing. It was an important suggestion which I now have to work on for another routine which I am not happy with. In fact, I will start a new topic!

Lynne
Mike Baxter
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, B.C.
87 Posts

Profile of Mike Baxter
Not a 'story' with just six cards, but maybe of interest - I have posted a story about the whole pack of cards in the 'Pick a card...any card' forum:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=2&0

Hopefully of interest . . .
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Mike, the link you gave does no exist any longer !?
Smile Smile Smile
Mike Baxter
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, B.C.
87 Posts

Profile of Mike Baxter
Sorry. The topic has been moved and is now located in:
A Family Tradition / Everything old is new again / Why the pack contains the cards it does.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Story telling with a packet of cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL