The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tarot Card and Book combination ???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

la9
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of la9
Thinking of diving into Tarot cards and was wondering which deck/book was recommended. I've read some past threads and just wondering if anything had changed.

Thanks
kenpodragon
View Profile
New user
Florida
6 Posts

Profile of kenpodragon
Whenever I get roped into doing some cold reading with Tarot cards I use the Ryder-Waite pack.

As far as books go, I really haven't found anything bad with any of them.

The biggest key in learning the tarot is memorization of the 156 cards (78 cards up and down). Almost everyone has some variation on the general and specific symbols - what you need to do is come up with something that works for you and stick with it.

A tip in learning the cards - take 3-4 each day and work them into some sort of story, by the end of the month or so you should be versed enough in the symbolism to begin some sample readings. While the Celtic cross is one of the better known spreads, I would start with the horseshoe spread and go from there.
Knock Knock.
Whose there?
Exactly!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
The Rider Waite is pretty much one of the industry classics, but, frankly, I really love the Robin Wood deck (she's a personal friend, so I admit bias), which is a variation of the Rider deck.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
burgerinc
View Profile
Regular user
Sin City
196 Posts

Profile of burgerinc
If you are looking for tricks with Tarot, the Book of Thoth by Stephen Minch (not Aleister Crowley) is the standard. A lot of self working variations.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Mind, Myth and Magic contains some great effects with Tarot cards as well. (It also has an excellent essay on doing readings that should be required reading by anyone that considers doing them.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
sharingan
View Profile
New user
Finland
48 Posts

Profile of sharingan
Might be stupid question, but what is the point use tarot cards to magic trick, because the are visually cooler?
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Sharingan,
Many people have the opinion that playing cards are too "magicy."
Using Tarot cards mat, in some people's minds, take the heat off.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2005-04-07 20:53, parson smith wrote:
Sharingan,
Many people have the opinion that playing cards are too "magicy."
Using Tarot cards mat, in some people's minds, take the heat off.

exactly...
plus the very act of divining ones future goes mano y mano with the art of magick itself.
Skeptic
View Profile
New user
Holland MI
46 Posts

Profile of Skeptic
The fun part of tarot is that you really do not need to memorize the meanings if you are good improvising. There are lot's of "official" ways to read meaning into the cards. They are contradictory, so one more way would be no different. You just need a convinving back story and sell it. There have been a number of times that I have made up on the fly a meaning or spread pattern. Even real New Age junkies don't know the difference. It's all just projection anyway.
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
Interpretation can go as deep as you wish. There is enough material in the little booklet to give you enough info to sound like you know what you are talking about, that, intuition, and cold reading will give you enough to make a god show of it. Anyone doing cold readings should already have read Gale Sheehey's Passages (available in any book story in the Psychology section).
Another bit of advice that gets passed on for doing readings is to have t least one done by a "real" reader. As well as some counseling therapy. As for decent tarot related books, Pictorial Key to the Tarot, 78 degrees of Wisdom and most New Age slanted books can be helpful. A study of Jung and Joseph Campbell will offer good background in deeper meanings of symbols many of which are found on these decks. Cashing in on the Da Vinci Code hype there is an interesting book called "Tarot Trumps and the Holy Grail" by Margaret Starbird, in which she pts forth a plausible theory that the major arcana is a pneumonic device to memorize the story of the Magdalene as bride legend. I have started incorporating these ideas into my tarot lectures at psi parties.
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Tarot Card and Book combination ???? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL