The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Snowstorn in China Patter? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagiCat
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of MagiCat
Hello!

Firstly, it was suggested that a good "Closer" to an upcoming Living Room show would be Snowstorm in China (its a relative's house, they wouldn't mind the mess).

So, two questions:

1. Where can I get the basic routine, with the snow/fan
2. Where can I get killer patter?

Thanks!
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
You can get the props from Mondo Magic. The basic routine is in Tarbell Vol. 1. It is a good frame work for the routine but you need to make the rountine your own.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1669 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Hocus Pocus has a good version with all you need plus instruction!!

Type in "snowstorm" in the search engine

This effect plays very well with nice music in the background-you don't need to say a word as it is a visual stunning trick-still will give you a great ending to your performance
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Here's a thought for mindreading

You do your mind reading bit and then you write your prediction on a piece of paper

you get it wrong and tear it up and snowstorm the pieces. the audience catches the pieces and on every single piece are the tiny words that match the prediction

WOW Mind reading and manipulation combined add a flourishy ending to a mind reading trick

Now gotta find a small printer.
shan
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of shan
Heh heh, you could always go with the patter given in Tarbell's Course. Smile

I have only seen a few Snowstorm performances, and all were done pantomime, except for Carl Andrew's version, which has a great emotional hook to it. But even Carl Andrew's Snowstorm would probably be considered pantomime, I think?

Anywayz, DarkWing is right... Unfortunately that's also my biggest problem right now >.<

Regards,
Shan
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22177 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The one Dai Vernon used is published in a little booklet called 'Select Secrect'. It is also explained by Ganson in the book by Supreme Magic, The Magic of Facette Ross.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Using the patter in Tarbell might be a little of a strech for most of us ("On my last trip to China....").
MagiCat
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of MagiCat
I actually went to ChinaTOWN in San Francisco a few years back ... thinking of starting from there Smile
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Jeff McBride on his dvd's Magic on stage has a basic pattern. Its a good routine.

I would combine the snowstorm with snow powder.

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Do you need patter???
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Icentertainment,
Do you have a patter to offer?

Ray
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
I forgot whose routine was it I saw without patter and just music. And it was pretty nice. Traditional way with torn paper, bowl of water, etc. Have to mime, act, and stress well though.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Sugram- The Jeff McBride routine on aaaaah VOL 3 of his stage show has him dressed in his asian garb doing a silent snowstorm (mmmmit could be vol 2)

I don't have patter for my mind reading snowstorm because I don't do it
it was just a thought

sorry,

(I can't find a printer small enough)

Dave
chris randall
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of chris randall
When you buy kevin james snowanimator you are able to use his patter. Kevins lead in is the best I ve ever seen. Check it out.
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Iceentertainment - oh yeah, I forgot about McBride's routine that is also silent. I'm thinking of someone else that did something like that... maybe it was on the PBS Art of Magic special. I like it without patter and just music. The audience isn't quite sure what's going to happen next.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
For patter......hmmm..you can say something you used ot do magic in hospitals and one kid who was an invalid wanted one wish, to see snow...he lived in Florida. Tell him you were going to ake his wish come true, but when you returned to hospital the next day he didn't make it through the night..Dedicate the trick to the kid, telling him that it's snowing. The patter for this effect is about 5 full minutes.

I know I'll receive some criticism because the story may not be true, but it really plays on the audiences emotions. Just hope the audience didn't see my show (thats the one I use) then see yours. They'll be wonderign if it was the ame kid. Lol.

Hope this helps

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Just my personal opinion but that using emotional repsonse is a great idea however, when you use it, you really shouldn't use it in such a negative fashion. By saying that the kid did not make it is such a sad and terrible thing, that the magic simply can not make up for it. You want emotional response but obatin it in a bit of a better fashion.

Why have the kid pass away when you can have the magic that you created for him give him the energy and the ability to truely beleive that anything was possible and gave that child the gift and will to get better. Now you get an emotional response that is double what you intended. The story gets the audience feeling good and the magic gets lifted up more because of that. It is a win-win situation if done in that manner.

I also strongly think that you can indeed use other magicians to inspire you, but do not be too tempted to use their music, their movements and their patter.This only creates magic clones and we have too many of them already. Step outside of the magic world to get your creativity from. Use the world around you and your own unique personality to create something that fits YOUR personality on stage and that makes your magic as unique as you are.

Sure it is easy to go and purchase or find a routine or patter, but why? Other then that fact that it is easy and convenient, isn't it really it really just an exscuse not to really get more involved in your own magic? Just because a routine works for another magician, does not mean it is going to work for you, your character, your stage personna or your intended market.

I would much rather spend the time to be inspired by other performers but then leave it at that. I then go out and try and create a routine that works best for myself and my wife and the audiences we are performing for.

I know I am different and I am unique just as everyone here is. I also know what I can get away with and what I can not. I have a certain personality on stage that only works for me because I have found out who I am and even more importantly, who I am not. For me, I could not go out and do power magic or try and become a Lance Burton. It just doesn't work for me and for who I am on stage.

With this in mind, I would take an effect like snowstorm and I would research various methods and use my library to research these ideas and what others have done. I would then put all of that way and start brainstorming and thinking outside of the box to create something different and unique that works around who I know I am and who my market is for.

I also must make sure I am never putting in or creating a routine just because I like it myself. The magic I do has to be for the entertainment value of my audience and just because I love an effect, does not mean it is right for who I am sharing it with.

I strive then to not look at the prop and create the magic around it. I think in reverse. I try to think of the magical storyline, the plot or essence of what I want my audiences to experience. I then work inwards from that point and I find my magic becomes much more creative that way.

So think outside of the norm with your routine for snowstorm. Think of something that fits your character and perhaps is a story from your childhood or your past. The ideas are limitless if you just open up yourself to thinking in a more creative fashion.

Just my two cents worth is all.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Kyle,

Excellent advice. That is the true essence of magic. We must NEVER forget that the people who pay our salaries are the end-user. The customer if you will. Therefore, we must create something specialfor themn. It must be special so it is unique to you. If every magician had the same style and same "bag of tricks" then the whole individuality and uniqueness of ones style would be lost.

The first step in putting together a routine that will last is finding out who you are, and what you want to achieve.

My 3 cents worth Smile

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Haas:

Thank you. I just feel that too many magicians like to take the easy way out because it is just hat.. easy and convenient. Why be creative and use hard work when I can just go out there and buy a routine or mimic one I have seen someone else do?

I think the artform of magic is lost if one takes that approach. To me part of the excitement of magic, is in the creative process. It is coming up with a routine that fits your style and is unique to you and that truly entertains your audience in the way you intended it to. There is great satisfaction in that and it tends to make your magic stronger.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Haas,

I agree with Kyle, The kid not making it is a downer. What has happened in your own life which would lend itself to the magic of indoor snow? Thinking of a special holiday? A trip up North? A snowstorm which kept you home for a week?
Do you have a son/daughter, little brother/sister or neighbor that needed magic in their life?

Kyle is right about making the magic your own and creating an effect with your audience in mind. I'm more believable speaking about something that actually happened in my life and it much simpler to sell the audience and have them come along for the mystery.

David
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Snowstorn in China Patter? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL