The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Wild Levitation impromptu? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
I've seen on a couple of sites that the Wild Levitation is "totally impromptu." Yet, I've read here that it uses a gimmick. Are there different versions of this levitation? I realize I need a jacket and shoes, but other than that, is it impromptu or is there a gimmick? If it is gimmick free, I thought it would be a great introduction to King Rising where you first lift up with a jacket in front and then say something like "pretty amazing, but I bet you're wondering what is behind the jacket..." then set up, do King Rising and amaze them even more! Is this practical with the Wild levitation?
Dann
Jluvlace
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jluvlace
I think there is a version of Wild that has the same hook up as King Rising. I'm not sure though, as I haven't bought either of them.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Well, it does use a gimmick, but from what people have told me, once it is "in place" so to speak you should be fine and ready to go anytime. I really like your idea though, casting aside doubts that your audience may have.

Nick Fox

PS: I have managed to do Wild Levitation without the gimmick in a more or less impromptu environment. I did need a few minutes to test it, but that was it. I have also done Elevator completely impromptu, just becuase of the characteristics of the environment I was in.
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
The version I have seen, showed to me by a magician friend of mine, is NOT impromptu and involves a gimmick. In my opinion, the coat is too fishy, but when performed well, it truly is a sight to see Smile
dengez
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
245 Posts

Profile of dengez
I made up an impromptu version...

****CLUE- Use one of your foot's toe* for the dirty work behind the jacket.
Jluvlace
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jluvlace
Sorry, that's already been done, but it is a good idea
dengez
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
245 Posts

Profile of dengez
Doesn't matter who made it up, just trying to help out a fellow magicican.
Frank Russell
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta Georgia
128 Posts

Profile of Frank Russell
I just made up an impromptu...I will call it..."Balducci" (sorry, bad joke) Take the hint. lol. It is definitely the best. However, I don't like the idea of a coat with WL or KR. It proves you are hiding something but if you can capture the imagination of the viewer, it is a very good illusion with the jacket. The elevator is great too but the setup is annoying as it makes you appear you are "hiding" something as well. Speaking of the elevator, has anyone gotten the E2 yet? I understand it is exclusively available for E1 owners at this time. If anyone has had a chance to take it for a test drive, how was it?
wookiee
View Profile
New user
Colorado Springs
95 Posts

Profile of wookiee
Frank, here's the current thread on the e2. There have been 2 reviews on it so far. I'll write a review there when I pick mine up tomorrow (VERY EXCITED!!!).

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

-Jeremy
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Wild is an excellent levitation. The jacket or cloth in front seems to be a big deal for magicians, but it really is no big deal for spectators. They kind of expect some sort of cover. They know you are not ACTUALLY floating, but it is an ILLUSION that you are floating.

Try this next time. Instead of going straight up 6 inches, tilt to the side a bit, so your body is at an angle. Kind of like your body is turned where your feet are at 4 o'clock but your head/shoulders are at 10 o'clock. With this move, you can get nearly 2 feet off the ground. You may need a larger cloth than a jacket. I'm not sure if this is an original move, but I've been doing it for years and it works great.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
silapmata
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of silapmata
Either it is KR or Wild LEvitation both still need some practice to do it perfectly.And I still find it is still not so easy to fool ppl if you lack of experience to do it.
Josh Allens
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
188 Posts

Profile of Josh Allens
Jesus Help you People!! Why does everyone keep getting all these new levitations. Just use one and stop paying all this money for the new "best" leviation out there. Each Leviation looks the same (self ones at least). YOu float of the gorund. Yes it would be cool to be able to spin in the air and and stuff like that. But do we really need that. I don't think so. So while you guys keep doing this stuff. Ill keep using the balducci.
Btw, doesn't having a jacket in front of you while you float seem a little (alot) fishy. that's yet ANOTHER reason I use the balducci. Its just the ultimate ( haha) impromptu leviation.
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Depending upon your situation, you may not be able to do the Balducci, but you could do Wild. You may not be able to do King Rising, but you could do Elevator. THAT's why you have multiple methods for the same effect.

Another reason could be that you if you are performing for a crowd on the street, it is possible that some of the people in the crowd are repeats, coming back for another peak (wouldn't it be great to have groupies like that all the time??). If you use a different method to levitate, you can protect the secrets even better.

Regarding the jacket in front. No one seems to care, accept magicians, that a jacket is used. I've seen this argument a lot it appears to be from people who have not used a jacket method. I have performed Wild hundreds of times, and not once have I heard from the audience, "hey, why the jacket?".

It is a prop. People expect magicians to use props. Like a deck of cards are props. There is no real need to explain the jacket away, but if you feel the need, use patter and performance to explain why you need the jacket. It truly is no big deal for laymen. They just don't care and they accept it as part of the overall effect.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
Nicholas Spade
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati Ohio
123 Posts

Profile of Nicholas Spade
Quote:
On 2005-03-20 11:53, semo wrote:
Depending upon your situation, you may not be able to do the Balducci, but you could do Wild. You may not be able to do King Rising, but you could do Elevator. THAT's why you have multiple methods for the same effect.

Another reason could be that you if you are performing for a crowd on the street, it is possible that some of the people in the crowd are repeats, coming back for another peak (wouldn't it be great to have groupies like that all the time??). If you use a different method to levitate, you can protect the secrets even better.

Regarding the jacket in front. No one seems to care, accept magicians, that a jacket is used. I've seen this argument a lot it appears to be from people who have not used a jacket method. I have performed Wild hundreds of times, and not once have I heard from the audience, "hey, why the jacket?".

It is a prop. People expect magicians to use props. Like a deck of cards are props. There is no real need to explain the jacket away, but if you feel the need, use patter and performance to explain why you need the jacket. It truly is no big deal for laymen. They just don't care and they accept it as part of the overall effect.

You are so right I stayed away from this for a long time. I saw a lot of bad performances and said na not for me and I thought the cloth or jacket was fishy. I went ahead and gave it a go.I just float up a few inches and go right back down. Once I practiced this in the mirror and got it the way I thought it suited me I went out and performed for serveral specs not one person said why the jacket/cloth. They alll enjoyed it and I enjoyed performing it. If you do the wild correctly you truely look like you levitated. This is just my opinion but your hands should never touch the ground near your shoes before or after a levitation that is super fishy to me. Even if you have some well thought out moves to do so. Its just not my thing.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24062 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I just had a soft carrying case made for my Chair Suspenion. I will carry it around with my table in the streets now.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2512 Posts

Profile of critter
Nothing wrong with balducci. I've actually seen people scream from Balducci.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
mysto59
View Profile
Loyal user
Bethalto, Illinois
264 Posts

Profile of mysto59
I don't do it very often but when I do the balducci it goes over well. I did it for my brother and his girlfriend at my last BBQ and she took off running across the yard yelling that I "wasen't right".
It's not the size of the wand that matters, it's the "magic" in it...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Wild Levitation impromptu? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL