The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Clear cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
There is a nice interview with Jason Latimer in the February 2004 issue of Math Horizons ( published by the good people at maa.org ) in which he talks a little about the work that went into his cups ... Actually, virtually that month's entire issue is magic-related in one way or another.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mischiefManaged
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of mischiefManaged
Quote:
On 2005-03-16 07:39, braddini wrote:
Bummer to the fact that someone thought already of this idea,
no disrepect to anyone.
know of a place with a video of latimer's routine?

Hi, I recorded Jason Latimer on the Late Late Show with Craig Fergeson the other night. He did the transparent cups and yellow balls routine. It was really quite awesome. I still watch it with amazement.

http://youtube.com/index?v=YlAvfUKvLCw
braddini
View Profile
New user
Kissimmee,FL
63 Posts

Profile of braddini
Verry nice , wish I would hae thought of the routine Smile
"I ate what?"
www.bradbreaux.com
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
It really is incredible the amount of work he has put into this, I was stunned when I spoke t him. He also said he would continue doing it, as it is like Bill said its his signature effect. That makes him stand out from the crowd thus getting him plenty of bookings.
To design the routine he worked out every sinle move he could do with the cups, wrote each one down on a card, and filled an entire shoe box and more with these cards(Thats a lot of cards) He then tossed all the cards on the floor and tried to fit the pieces together, a bit like a jigsaw.
I have tried this method, I is effective, timeconsuming and you have to have real dedication.
Nick
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Aside from the mechanical gizmos at work in my Clear Cups and Chicks routine (The Wizards' Journal #8 - on my site) there are some natural aspects to various clear cups that you should investigate if you are planning to switch from opaque cups to clear cups. I found all sorts of interesting things by buying sets of transparent cups from various Dollar Stores. Real glass cups with crystal cut designs have their own way of making a ball invisible, while transparent color plastic cups interact with different colored balls to make some colors more visible and some completely invisible under ceretain conditions. I go into this in the article, but I am always amazed that more magicians don't just buy some clear cups and experiment with the optical properties on their own. We seem to accept that a cup is a cup is a cup and that for some reason, transparent or clear glass cups will present problems, when actually they often present alternate solutions. Enough said.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
Quote:
know of a place with a video of latimer's routine?

He was on Late Night with Craig Ferguson about 3 month's ago. (I'm guessing it was him...he had clear cups.)
He was very good and if I remember correctly, the finale of the act was all 3 clear cups were completely solid.
You may watch your local listings for a rerun.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Clear cups and Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL