The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much money would you invest in magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Interesting insight, in the same time, there are a lot of Indian produced magic props in the US.
Cards never lie
Blinky
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Blinky
Im a bit of a nut case, I will usually spend at least $150 a fortnight, up to about $300 or so.

Probably close to $400-500 a month
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
My monthly cost has skyrocketed since I first posted on this thread...

Now with my ropes (Lowes Hardware 100' for around 10 bucks) I might be $21-$31 a month. I might have to start buying the 3/8"Cotton clothesline stuff (At $4 per 100' it's more reasonable)

I am really hoping to be getting 2 of Frank Starsini's Poachers Pouch's, so the next 2 months it will be going up around $150 a month, then back down. Although, Billiard ball manipulation is getting me interested (For busking purposes) so with the trip to Michael's Fabrics I might have to add another $10 this month.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

I always spend 350$ for a mounth. I always buy new thingsand Dvds. But that's not the only thing I buy.Smile

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Xemm
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Xemm
Well in the beginning most of magician spent a lot of money buying stuff, but I think we will spent less and less as we becoming more expert right?
HowaboutBob
View Profile
New user
south of atlanta
54 Posts

Profile of HowaboutBob
Main investment has been in dvds. I think I'm at about 70 or so after 5 years.
Some full price, some off ebay, some traded.

Don't use a lot of consumables in my shows.

Bob
Cycopolos
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Cycopolos
Well I would spend a lot more but there isn't many places for me to buy magic the really good store I use I have to go to another city for so that stops me from spending a lot of money.

also because here in the uk we have to pay more for out items and I am only just a student so everything is against me at the moment
Nathan Hastings
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
78 Posts

Profile of Nathan Hastings
I think I spend way too much of my money on magic, because I buy things on impulses. Always think before you buy, no matter how excited you are to learn and perform a certain trick. Write up a mission statement like, "I wanna learn all the basic sleights with cards, coins, and sponge balls before I spend money on anything else," or something like that. You need focus to be a good magician, and to be a wise buyer.
"As my plastic surgeon always said: If you gotta go, go with a smile."

-the Joker
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2005-03-16 00:57, Gede Nibo wrote:
The thing is, we all too often spend days looking for that ONE trick that's gonna exhalt us into the magickal-god status..but as the elders will tell you, it will never happen...desire is unquenchable...so let us seek to master the ones that we already possess...the ones that we often complain is way too much work to pull off etc...if you master one effect...you are, in fact, a magick master...but the master is forever and always the humblest student...

Baba

Nothing could be more true. It's like the heroin addict who keeps chasing the dragon. Indeed, the desire cannot be quenched, and thus, I have become a jack of all trades, master of none.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
So true . . . it is the misguided believe that possesing equals mastering.

I tried to summarize this in

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&29
Cards never lie
Lumas
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
202 Posts

Profile of Lumas
Hobbies are dangerously addictive in the beginning. I didn't feel like a card collector when I bought just one pack of baseball cards when I was a kid, so I had to go out and spend $50.00 on many packs of cards. Same thing with comics - one wasn't enough, so I had to buy 10.

I didn't feel like I was going to be a magician unless I bought a bunch of books and tricks instead of only one. I have calmed down with the spending and try to spend less than $50.00 a month on magic, which = a book or dvd or two.
mikemcclaskey
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of mikemcclaskey
The coins I carry Smile

The best part is, I never actually 'spend' them in the process of doing magic Smile
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
I go through phases where I will spend $100 to $300 a month and then nothing for 2 or 3 months. I am a sucker for sales. Just bought a set of used books, Tarbel's Course (Vol. 1-6), for $77 including shipping. Just too good of a deal to pass up.
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
When I got my Tarbell set the guy who sold it suggested. "With this you will never have to buy magic props since you can make your own. For every tick you master and perform in public, set $2.00 aside. Use this to purchase gimmicks and props and things that you may need. Never spend anyhting on magic that you did not earn by doing magic.

You might raise that to $10.00 today.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
1000$ and the right advice will get you everything you need to get started doing commercial magic shows without ever truly needing to buy more. You can get a wireless headset mic, portable amp, and instructional DVDs and props. I focused on learning things that don't need to be bought too often like coins, cards and mentalism.

Little things that need to be purchased all the time are things like loops, but if you make your own you won't need to by IET too often.

If you focus on putting together an act, you can narrow down the list of tricks or effects you need. Once you have an act, stop buying tricks! Now it's time to make money with your investment!
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Enough. I went through the gotta-have-it phase slowly. Now I research the H_ll out of stuff before I buy it. Last major purchase was TA and my money to the I.B.M.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2005-03-15 17:22, Static wrote:
How much money do you all invest in magic per month. I usually spend 200 monthly. All of my magic is close up, is this about the norm? Thanks!

I "invest" as little as possible per month. Over a period of ten years the figure is rounded up to $2.10 a month. This includes instructional material and disposable props. I can't imagine spending $200 a month "investing" in magic. Going way out on a limb I would venture the opinion that $200 a month is not the norm. On the other hand, A bah, Ahh Beee, my measuring stick has been called suspect.
You know why don't act naive.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
In the last month I have spent about $200. Mostly on books and dvd's but a few gaff tricks as well just to see how they work. I honestly think that the books and dvd's will keep me busy for months and give me enough material to last years... Though of course I will spend more sooner or later I am sure.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
In one year, I may spent just about $3500 dollars. why:
Because I just started out and fulfilling a dormant interest in magic which is a great hobby. No intentions to really "perform".
So of course I have my share of pure crap and redundant items because I bought into the hype, sucker purchases etc. etc.
Now I'm done because buying any more will not improve anything and I have way to much unread books and unseen DVDs, really silly. I almost think this could be some addiction or some other obsession.
I've learn that the best magic are the basics, still since half the stuff out there if not more are old tricks with slightly new twists. I can't tell you how many times I get a new card or coin one trick and find out it originated from the 40's or 50's. oh well, I can tell you I am much wiser in making purchases. I hate finding tricks still shrink wrapped, not good. Much too indulgent.
Peace out ya'll.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Oh, add another $200 for buying Morgan silver dollars and Walking Liberties. Guess what, The coins are so cool that now I started to get into collecting coins. Curse you Magic with these off shoots of interest.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much money would you invest in magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL