The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much money would you invest in magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Well, I just stopped by my friendly neighborhood dealer to pick up an invisible deck and dropped $90 bucks. Most of that was on a book I had wanted and a DVD that the owner reccomended.

I know what people are talking about when they speak about buying "too much magic". I was pretty lucky, I got some good advice early and put a stop to that buying every trick nonsense. My magical "junk drawer" is pretty small.

Resist the urge to purchase every trick that amazes you, it's not worth it just to learn the method, which is why a lot of magic gets purchased. You have to accept the fact that you don't know how everything is done and never will. Be able to enjoy a trick without having to OWN the secret and purchase those things that will improve what you already do or can help you to a specific aim. It's been said so many times, and it's true, that you are better served purchasing classic and well reccomended books and other instructional material.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
pepijn
View Profile
Regular user
Utrecht (the netherlands)
134 Posts

Profile of pepijn
All I can say is that that is a lot of money some of you spend, I usually try to fiend a couple of completly different sources talking about the same items and then I may purchase. I have problems with some of the shipping rates so I usually order every couple of months and then order like two or three books, I guess somewher in the range of 40$ a month, maybe a little more or a little less,
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I would say I spend about 200 to 300 bucks a month on magic. Mostly Books any more. It really depends.
Kentrell
View Profile
New user
Cleveland, OH
72 Posts

Profile of Kentrell
How much you spend depends on what your goals are. If you want to become a professional caliber performer, you probably need to acquire (spend) less. You are better off learning to perform a few effects very well. After you can perform those effects comfortably in front of an audience, then you can begin the search for the next effect you want to learn. This is a theme Eugene Burger has written about in several publications. Michael Ammar's "success in magic" also discusses it nicely.

If your goals are simply enjoyment and you want to be exposed to as much magic and information as possible then that is a different story (and a different goal). I am not making any judgement on which is right, but I think you have to decide what your personal goal is in order to decide what your mothly investment should be.

K
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
About £100 to £ 150 per month on books videos and dvds
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Most magicians probably spend way too much on magic. I know I do. Even when you have a house full of it, you just buy more. Truth is you won't use 10% of it. A good friend in the Dallas Magic Clubs recently told me something every beginning magician should consider: "You can only do so much magic. Don't try to do it all." So find some area that really interests you, be it coins, cards, manipulation, parlor, stage, close-up, and keep ur spending there. Try to see effects before you buy them, and learn principles. Learning principles will keep you from buying basically the same trick over and over, just presented differently. When you see an effect, don't buy it because it "wow"ed you. Stop and think, Does this trick really fit my style. Would it fit into my performance routine? Then spend accordingly.
But then, of course if ur half bitten by the bug as the rest of us, you will still fill ur garage, attic, and house with magic you will never use. Part of the fun of it. Like loosing in Gambling, Just don't spend more than you can afford.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
magicsarge
View Profile
New user
Northamptonshire, Great Britain
79 Posts

Profile of magicsarge
I recently started keeping a set of accounts for my magical activity, as I thought it would be a good idea to try and earn back some money, whilst gaining experience in the real world.....wow I didn't realise how much I was spending a month! it was a well worth while exercise, although I do have to admit to some costs for advertising/promo material etc.
keep spending guys Smile
Rik Taylor
View Profile
New user
Delaware
58 Posts

Profile of Rik Taylor
There is some valuable info here on the Café' if we just look. I didn't see it till this topic came up. When we open up each board at the top is the info we should read first.
Looks like a pearl and it's always on top for a reason.
Go to this link and read on. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&53
...less is not more, less is less you have to carry, more or less...
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Those pearls are "sticky buns." This is a Café after all.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Rik Taylor
View Profile
New user
Delaware
58 Posts

Profile of Rik Taylor
Understood. I'm on a diet, trying not to think of food.
...less is not more, less is less you have to carry, more or less...
Static
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Static
Haha thanks for all the insight guys, as always you guys are awesome! Im going to work on perfecting my material I have now before moving on. Thanks again!
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Not too much. Maybe £10 a month or less. A pack of cards, some sponges or silks. I try to work on the material I already have and might supplement my knowledge from the occasional book/DVD purchase or browsing through free stuff on the internet.

How much you spend depends on amatuer or pro, stage or close up, collector or worker. One thing is for sure, spending out on effects won't make you a better performer. If you enjoy collecting or retail therapy that's cool, but after purchasing a few classic books and the mimimum of props, a lifetime of discovery awaits using just those.
Richc98
View Profile
New user
Orange Park, Fl
71 Posts

Profile of Richc98
Working at a magic shop, I have seen it go from one end to the other. When we saw someone that kept coming in buying week after week, we would ask them what are they doing with everything they bought. We didn't want them to get burnt out. But magicians that have been in the biz for a while didn't spend much that is because most had found their main effects and worked on technique and routine versus the prop.

I like collecting and I can spend some money, past two months I spent $3100.
U.S. Army Retired Soldier for Life - SFC
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Richc98, I noted that you are into collecting. Would you know of any sites that offer different playing cards? I am just starting out in collecting playing cards and would like to know of any sites that offer all brands of playing cards. Foreign and domestic.

Thanks edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
I would also like to know where we can order different playing cards. I recently managed to get my hands on 2 pairs of 1984 Olympic Bikes that are still sealed and in mint condition!! imagine that! 20 years pass and still superb condition!

I am willing to trade or sell them so I can get other playing cards

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
In my situation the cards being offered for sale do not neccessarily need to be high value cards. As a matter of fact to start with I will probably just buy playing cards that are still being used but have interesting artwork on the backs. I have seen some cards that have beautiful artwork on the backs.
Magic is a vanishing art.
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
I spend what I earn from performing.
I am an amateur that performs about once a week.
So I spend about $500 a month.
Actually, probably a lot less, my wife usually takes half.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
WOW! How do you keep her to only taking half? Now that is a trick I'd like to learn ! Smile
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
In the past 40 years, I have bought enough stuff to pay for several cars and a house.
Every once in a while my wife will say something like,"Don't you want to sell some of that stuff?"
To which I reply,'Are you crazy? I might need that some day." Smile
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Well..i am reeally begginer and I was buying a lot in the beggining..its just 2 months I started magic but I have stopped all of those..u just need one good book and lots of practice..i think we all make mistakes..when we master the basics we become the masters..u can create and understand easyly how the other person is doing the tricks..
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much money would you invest in magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL