The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much money would you invest in magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
doulos
View Profile
New user
Fort Worth, TX
61 Posts

Profile of doulos
Since I have renewed my interest in magic I've spent about $500.00 US in the last 4 months. I do look to slow down pretty quick. Most of that was on Books and DVD's. I look to by a few props that my books and DVD's require. It won't be as much.

I figure I can do at least $100.00 since my wife smokes, and I don't. If she can "burn" over $100 a month on a habit, then so can I on a semi-hobby. But I will have something to show for it afterwards other than cancer.

Doulos
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I buy books, books, and more books. Something about books- magic related of course that excites me. Maybe it's just knowing that someone put together a great collection of effects and thoughts- and it's at my disposal. At any moment I could pick up Harry Loraynes, 'Apocalypse' volumes and find whatever I need to. Or pick up Aaron Fishers, 'Paper Engine' and answer the questions I had about a particular sleight. That I can get information whenever I need it! That I could create and expand on what was printed.

So, nowadays I just buy printed material. Volumes of them at my home. Even when I'm overseas here- I still put in orders for books every week. Literally. They are just piling up. Now- some may say, 'Are you ever going to read them?' YES- I am an avid reader. I just enjoy collecting them too.

How much do I spend on them though? A pretty penny usually....

Read books- expand on the basic, 'coin through the hand' trick found in Tarbell- and make it unique!

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2006-07-03 01:19, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Wow Drew, I'll be the magic dealers love you! Smile

Some of us enjoy magic as a hobby and don't mind spending money even if it's just to adorn our magic shelves. I don't care if I make any money at all on magic, I still enjoy buying new toys now and then.

A) I'm not here to be loved by magic dealers.

B) I'm not addressing desire. If he wants to do something, he hardly needs a concensus to tell him what he wants. I'm telling him what he "needs". If someone feels inclined to break the bank buying magic knick knacks, that is certainly something they are free to do. I assume we are big boys and girls. If someones goal is to be a magician, my list is complete. Mark Wilson's CCIM, and Tarbel.
Joker63
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Joker63
I am a hobbyist and have spent >A$ 2000.00 over the last couple of years. On a monthly figure, not too much I guess. I went through the gimmick phase, and am now keen to work on cards only until I can comfortably, and correctly, perform a 30/40 minute routine with cards. I have enough other props to then move on. Some of the money has been on 'one-trick-wonders' (Tenyo); but these have mostly been for my kids. We 'do' magic together and it is fun.
I have some good book resources: Giobbi vol 1-4, Bannon Smoke and Mirrors, 'The Magic of Ascanio'. So I am generally happy with the money I have spent. I have recently moved to DVDs, less 'tricks per dollar' but I get to see some performance.
My next few dollars should be on more cards (approx eight dollars a pack here); though I am keen to get Darwin Oritz's 'Strong Magic', and judging by many posts in the Café - Mark Wilson's CCIM.
I may break my rules an buy a chop cup? A 'local' store has an interesting looking pool ball and cue for sale.

I tend to 'study' in isolation, so perhaps my future 'magic funds' should be accessing a group of like-minded people.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I spent $3,000 on magic in one month. I cannot believe it.

///ark
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
I enjoy collecting books - and have quite an extensive collection. Over the last few years I've certainly spent less. Its the only hobby I have (this thought helps me justify to the wife!) and I work hard - so I don't really think about the cost.
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Adam Milestone
I am very lucky able to spend somewhere around $5000 or $6000 a year on magic and mostly on books, lecture notes and other manuscripts, some DVDs, lots of utility stuff, a small amount of collectable things, but not a whole lot on tricks; maybe a grand or so. After buying magic for the last 24 yrs. I realized long ago that tricks come and some stay and some quietly go away, but it’s funny how books written years and sometimes decades and even centuries ago are still ordered by shop owners year after year. There's a good reason for that; tried, tested, and proven. Buy the classics, recent and older; they will almost always be of more value in the end than most tricks.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3196 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I love to buy magic books...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Adam Milestone
So do I!!! When holding a big tome I feel like a grand old wizard paging through my book of "spells"! Smile
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Too much, I am afraid.
Cards never lie
antonio2030
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of antonio2030
Woooow, and I thought I spent a lot in magic, LOL, I think with 200 dlls a month in magic you coul make a very vast and cool repertory, I personally invest like 300 dlls, every four to six months and then practice those till I get those right then I spend some more
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Adam,

you are very lucky indeed . . . Your library must be rock solid . . .

Andy
Cards never lie
Joker63
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Joker63
I only buy teaching books at the moment. I was interested in the 1902 Erdnase book on EBay, but obviously didn't appreciate its value (it sold for just over $200.00).
Would be a good book for the collection I guess!

Does anyone here buy the old and collectible books? I guess this would send the monthly budget up a fair bit.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
When I was younger I brought loads of gaffed decks and self working tricks. Then I left magic alone for 20 years. When I got back in to it I started to re buy bits and bobs but then I met 2 magicians at work and learnt of them, also borrowing and trying out stuff from them helped.
I now just value a few effects done well rather than load of effects. I also try and use stuff that I can find laying about in a any were any time style.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
I got back into magic to help quit smoking. I needed something to keep my hands busy, as they were just itching for something to fill the cigarette void. So as a reward for not smoking, I save up the money I would have blown on smokes and take it to the local magic shops. That makes my magic budget is $9.25 per day.
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
143 Posts

Profile of cosermann
I'll pipe in an say maybe $250 per YEAR (carefully chosen). It's hard for me to justify spending more money on more stuff when I haven't mastered what I have.
Regards,
Eric
LCBellah
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of LCBellah
Too much!! I used to buy all kinds of tricks and gimmicks, then I started buying books which I think give the best value for my money. I keep trying to cut back on my spending on magic but can't help myself. When I go shopping with my wife, I find myself looking for items I could use in a magic effect (cards, small balls, shot glass, rope, etc.) I don't really think a lot about the amount I spend on magic as long as we have some left over for food, gas, etc. (ha ha)
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of glatner
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 05:39, Joker63 wrote:
I only buy teaching books at the moment. I was interested in the 1902 Erdnase book on EBay, but obviously didn't appreciate its value (it sold for just over $200.00).
Would be a good book for the collection I guess!

Are you aware that the 1902 edition of Expert goes for between $1000-3000 USD depending on condition?

That's a profit of $800 right there.
C-Taylor
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of C-Taylor
For me it depends.. Ill go for a month with out buying anything. The next month Ill spend a Grand. It just depends on if what Im looking for is available.
"theres a lot of good card magic in that book, unfortunately you have to have skill to do most of it." Smile
Joker63
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Joker63
[/quote]

Are you aware that the 1902 edition of Expert goes for between $1000-3000 USD depending on condition?

That's a profit of $800 right there.
[/quote]

Wow, I didn't know that. To be honest though I would rather have the book for the books sake - ie. nice to have such a rare magic book - than for the potential profit. Would have been nice to pick it up though.

cheers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much money would you invest in magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL