The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much money would you invest in magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Yiannos
View Profile
New user
Australia
57 Posts

Profile of Yiannos
I'm pretty much a beginner, been learning card stuff for about the last 3 or 4 months. I bought card college 1 and 2 and have just been trying to work my way through them. Gimmicks interest me but my main goal is actually to become extremely competent (i won't use the word "master") at the sleight of hand required to do impromptu tricks with any old deck, so all I really spend my dosh on is four packs of cards a month. That sets me back around 30 bucks Australian a month. Bicycle decks are a bit pricey here in Oz.
Sabrina
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
94 Posts

Profile of Sabrina
The coolest library I ever got to visit was the one in the basement of The Magic Castle. They have the most vast collection of magic books I have ever seen. I only got to spend 4 hours of an afternoon perusing books...it wasn't enough time but I enjoyed every second!

Sounds like there are a few private collections that might put it to shame though.
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
I like the fact that there's a lot of things in magic that just can't be purchased. A five dollar gimmick done without skill might be just a stupid uncle trick, whereas the same five dollar gimmick combined with some polished sleight of hand can create a moment of mystery. A pack of cards costs very little, but to make someone really care about what happens to those cards is priceless.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I haven't spent more than $2 in the last six months. What I have spent money on is advertising, new performance clothes, etc. The stuff that takes care of the business end. I spent more money than I should have in a life time on magic up until six months ago. Then I realized that I perform no more than five-six routines/effects a night with no trouble. Why do I need to buy new stuff? Of course I know that eventually I will crack and buy something, because like most magicians when I see something that "wows" me, I like to know how its done. I'm a naturally curious person, and in our line of work I feel that it's somewhat natural to want to know how something is done if for nothing else than mere curiosity.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I'm a hobbyist and I've spent a few thousand dollars over the years to develop the 12 routines I perform (consisting of 4-9 effects each) and the dozen one-off impromptu/encore effects I do. Nowadays I probably spend less than a couple hundred dollars a year on new things. I never like to have any more than 100 effects in my active repertoire or my performance quality suffers. Staying proficient in 100 effects is like a part-time job though, so 100 is probably too many anyway Smile
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
tony2514
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
162 Posts

Profile of tony2514
I have wasted more money than I care to think about on poor or substandard effects. I did this a lot when I was starting out and I could not tell the difference between a killer effect and a peice of trash, but I've done it recently as well. I bought The Bat and was in love with it (or was it just infatuation) for a few weeks. It has spent the best part of the last year sitting in a drawer untouched.

My best investments have been Tarbel, Mark Wilson, Apocalypse books, Hugard, Erdnase, Bobo, (of Course)and Fulves. On DVD, my two favourites are 'Anytime Anywhere' and 'The Art of Sleight of Hand' by Jay Sankey and 'Trickery' by David Forrest (David is a genius for those who do not know him)

I would not like to say how much I have spent in total, but if I had only bought the books, it would have been enough.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2005-03-15 23:03, BerkleyJL wrote:
Who said anything about needing to buy it? I admit I'm a junkie and probably own more magic than I'll ever have a use for.

"I NEED A STAGE NAME

How about: Hi, I'm Joe from Berkley!, not California, From (insert Dad's name here)!

hey now...
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-06-18 15:18, tony2514 wrote:
I have wasted more money than I care to think about on poor or substandard effects. I did this a lot when I was starting out and I could not tell the difference between a killer effect and a peice of trash, but I've done it recently as well. I bought The Bat and was in love with it (or was it just infatuation) for a few weeks. It has spent the best part of the last year sitting in a drawer untouched.

My best investments have been Tarbel, Mark Wilson, Apocalypse books, Hugard, Erdnase, Bobo, (of Course)and Fulves. On DVD, my two favourites are 'Anytime Anywhere' and 'The Art of Sleight of Hand' by Jay Sankey and 'Trickery' by David Forrest (David is a genius for those who do not know him)

I would not like to say how much I have spent in total, but if I had only bought the books, it would have been enough.

Tony,

you are right on spot. All the good investments I made were books - apart from a great set of C&Bs.

Andy
Cards never lie
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Hello Gang,
Just thought that I would drop in and give my 2cents worth on How much money would you invest in magic.

If I were a doctor or lawyer I would have to spend a huge amount of money to educate myself... I would have to ask myself how much is too much, to educate and properly equip myself so that I might be all that I could be. Of course, take into consideration the type of venue your after these amounts vary. I guess the bottom line for me (since magic is my chosen vocation) I know many magicians who spend exuberant ammounts of cash to get where they are today... I mean do you think Copperfield, Burton, or any number of Magicians are successfull because they bought 2 or three hundred dollars worth of magic and thought they had a complete evening show. No, they invested in their own knowledge (Books, Tapes, DVDS and etc) and built upon what they already have and know.

I realize that we are not all on national tv and have to live in the real world and money is tough to come by. Just my humble oppinion.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I support David Mann's thoughts here.

The results or reward we would like to get from magic is proportionate to what we put into it. The more (time, effort, money) we invest in it the more we get out of it.

Of course we are not talking about simply buying all kinds of things. Proper planning is needed here. Develop a blueprint on what you want to achieve in magic. Work out the necessary steps and move on step by step. There are many nice people in this forum here. An email or PM to them can makea difference to your goal.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3226 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-06-02 14:08, Mark Wilden wrote:
I spent $3,000 on magic in one month. I cannot believe it.

///ark

I might be able to take some of that off your hands, Mark... Let me know when some of that stuff begins to gather dust in a drawer!

Cheers!
G
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
I'm only 14, and I don't have a steady source of income so I only spend like Ten dollar a month on a case of cards, and I spend most of my birthday on magic.
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
Quote:
On 2007-06-04 08:54, Fman111 wrote:
I got back into magic to help quit smoking. I needed something to keep my hands busy, as they were just itching for something to fill the cigarette void. So as a reward for not smoking, I save up the money I would have blown on smokes and take it to the local magic shops. That makes my magic budget is $9.25 per day.

Man! Smokes must be expensive there... and I thought $4 a pack was too much. Haha!

I did the same thing as you're doing, although it wasn't "back into magic" so much as "into magic for the first time" for me. I used card flourishes to keep my hands busy and it worked really well.

As for what I spend on magic, I keep it to what I earn with magic. I do a Saturday morning show for tips at the local farmer's market. The money I get goes into videos and books and the occasional gaff. I'm looking to go pro in a few years, so right now I'm focussed on building a strong foundation. This means more books than gaffs to me.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Actually, a lot of that three grand was big-ticket items like a camcorder and collectible books. I still can't believe it, though.

///ark
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
I'm seriously considering a camcorder so I can see how I seem while performing. Vanity or a drive toward exellence... you be the judge! Smile
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Froste, I think you'll find that viewing a video of your performance will be an eye-opening experience.

For example, I found that I had a tendency to make an irritating "tsk" sound. In a rope trick, I saw that I was fidgeting with the rope too much.

I don't perform a trick - period - unless I've made a video that I'm happy with first.

///ark
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2277 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I bought things I not only didn't need, but would never really make use of when I was 20 or so. OFten to find out how they worked. THankfully magic was more reasonably priced then than now. THese days I rarely buy, but rely on books I learned were a better long term deal. THe newest effect isn't always new at all; only a variation or rip-off of something which preceded it. Only so many principles are used in all effects. Like letters of the alphabet or notes in music.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1360 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Of course, you really don't need vast library's of magic books either, since everything's in Tarbell. Smile

I think I spend about $200 bucks every 4 months.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I finally decided not to buy any more "trick" books until I'd actually finished RRTCM. I'm getting there!

I still can't resist buying books like Shattering Illusions when I haven't finished Strong Magic and there's Our Magic, "Outs", Precautions and Challenges, The Ostrich Factor, and The Books of Wonder ahead of it in the queue.

///ark
Shakey
View Profile
Veteran user
In over 4 million i've made
360 Posts

Profile of Shakey
The more I learn the less I spend
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much money would you invest in magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.38 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL