The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jarvis
View Profile
New user
UK
27 Posts

Profile of jarvis
I work as a waiter, but I am a capable amature magician. All I need is a good angle to start a trick or two at my tables.

Does anyone have any ideas? Smile
James Rewind
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of James Rewind
The problem if you are a waiter doing tricks is that the audience perceive you as just that. If the restaurant hires a magician then he is viewed with a higher status immediately and the audience is much more likely to relax and see the situation as acceptable. You may also annoy your bosses if you are doing magic rather than your job. These are just a couple of thoughts from my own experiences.
If the place you work at has a bar or a lounge area then a good thing might be to go there and show people a few things when it gets quiet.
Oh, one final warning if you work at a restaurant that hires a magician to go round you will annoy him or her a lot for several reasons if you start doing tricks for the customers! This may not apply to you but it may apply to anyone in that situation.
J
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
James: Ditto, one or the other. Bartenders excepted!
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
DonB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DonB
You've been given good reasons to consider why you might not want to pursue this angle. If you're still intent, however, find information on napkin folding. My son learned how to roll a cloth napkin into a candle with a flame while we were on a cruise. There are many things like that you could do as an ice breaker.

Also, check out Dan Harlan's starcle.

DonB
Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
Along the lines of Dan Harlan, you might consider the linking rubber bands. Easy to carry on your own wrist and a quick effect that allows your spectator to be the magician.

Obviously, only you know the circumstances of your situation. If you're careful not to step on any toes (your boss, the house magician, whomever...) you can do some quick and amazing things with rubber bands in any setting.

If your situation allows and you have the skill, go for Michael Ammar's "Crazy Man's Handcuffs". Another rubber band effect that is a solid through solid penetration. It's quick, involves your spectators (if you choose), and completely baffling.

Best of luck!
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
James:
One other thought along the lines of what's already been said...

As a customer at your restaurant, I'm interested in you providing good service to me. If you're at another table doing a card trick, I'm not going to be a happy camper...when I want my ketchup, I want it now! Smile

On the other hand, if you're working at a restaurant where *all* the waiters do magic, then my expectations are altered accordingly.

Best of luck.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Buy "The Restaurant Worker's Handbook" from Jim Pace. Buy a book about bar magic.
Fatboy
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Fatboy
Hey Jarvis,

I am also a waiter/magician. I find that in the dining room, a quick thimble routine is great for the kids and the adults. It won't take too much time away from your other tables and will personalize you with the customers. Definitely don't bust out the cards unless the table asks for it and the other tables can't see you. If you are in the lounge or behind the bar, use the cards and shuffle loud to draw others attention. People in the smoking section are more relaxed and looking to be entertained. I hope I helped you out a little bit. e-mail me if you ever want to trade ideas. Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5765 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Even with bartenders, they show up early to do the prep work for the bar -- things that most bartenders do during a shift. Besides, the main job of a bartender is as booze salesman, no matter how you sugar-coat it.

A waiter has to work quickly and the magic would just get in the way. A waiter would have to be extremely good, in order to keep their job and keep the customers happy, while doing magic. In my lifetime, I've seen only a handful of waitresses, and not one waiter, who had that potential. The job is tough enough as it is. Besides, if they know much about the world outside of the restaurant, they'll find that they have the skills to get a much higher paying job that's more enjoyable; the ability to work with people is in high demand and has a short supply.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
How about "noticing" that the table has a defective spoon. Go into a spoon bending routine.

Take a look at what is commonly available at all the tables: Silverware, plates, glasses, saltshakers, sugar packets, maybe candles, a flower, etc. Use these objects instead of coming with your lampshade on.

Also if you are a waiter remember two thing
1) Keep it short. The people came to eat, not be entertained.
2) If you do a trick for one table other tables will expect the same treatment regardless of how busy you are.

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
Hey all, I am too a waiter at a restuarant, from my experience I learned that the louder you talk the more people seem to look at you, then once you get someone's attention then they will ask for a trick, sort of table hopping because soon the whole room is watching you, my boss loves this because it brings people in, but don't try it out, because your boss might not think it's so great. Also I get big tips by doing this.
You can always set an appointment on your days off with the boss and ask for time to do magic in his store, this works as well.

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL