The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Resetting tricks for walk-around (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Don't worry about it Stan. Some people like to preach about being real magicians and not collectors.

They may also tell you that a "glorpy" is just a toy that the magic shops sell and no serious magician (like those mentioned above) would touch it.

That is until they see Eugene Burgers handling of said effect and they cant type in thier credit card numbers fast enough.

It's not about the toys folks. The toys are just there to illustrate the idea. Whats the first thing we should do with a new magic effect when we get it? Immediately look for a way to make it bigger, better, funnier, and more fitting to our characters. If you can achieve that with a hotrod, use a hotrod.

I am not a magic purist. Then again, I live in the real world.

S. Patrick
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
I still don't understand how we got on this topic. It's funny that we did though. Oh wait! I just went back up to what Randwill was responding to. It still only half-way makes sense that we are on this topic now though. After-all, there are plenty of tricks using just slight of hand that need reseting. Ah well, on with the discussion about what is really magic and what is not.... hey, if we're going to get on this discussion anyway, does anyone have the Sylvester Pitch tape? I think it's interesting what Dan Sylvester says about the subject. He feels that one thing is not more magical than another and one should utilize everything available to create magic whether it is a gimmick, sleight of hand, or whatever. Interesting stuff. So... with that said, any other ideas to help me reset tricks (specifically parallel worlds)
Dann
CraigB
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of CraigB
Ok, so this is an old topic, but I figured I'd add my two cents...
I think if you know that you have some effects that require resetting (certainly the best advice is to keep these to a minimum, but invariably many of us have a few), when you get to the venue, find a spot where you can privately reset if necessary. You don't always need to use that spot, sometimes you just have a bit of a break between crowds that you can use wisely.

If you're stuck with a few people following you around, you'll then have the option to be able to say something like that you need to take a break for a couple minutes, or that you need to get a new deck of cards, or something and that you'll be right back after which should give you the necessary time needed to reset and possibly reset your audience.

Just a thought.
Mostly I just look for those breaks in the crowds when I do walk-around. When I'm working a fair booth, there are times when I'll say that the show will stop for a couple minutes and that we'll start up again in X minutes.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1113 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
As a full-time working pro, I only do effects which are reset on the fly. This means that my clients get the maximum amount of magic for their money! It also looks good in the eyes of the bookers too - do they really want to see the magician dashing off after each routine?

Anyway, here's my fav coin routine which is instantly reset and is ideal for mix and mingle.... Hope you like it!

https://youtu.be/80jEfFpAW7s
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1088 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
I don't have resets. I just put them back in my pocket.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Read...no, STUDY! Tarbell! Learn PRINCIPLES, not TRICKS!

Then, with only a TT, and a silk, or a book of matches, four feet of rope and a ring, a few sponge balls and a purse frame, two golf balls, and, a couple "Slydini Silks", you're ready to work. When I stroll, I reset NOTHING. (It aint WHAT ya do, it's HOW ya do it!)

KARRELL FOX, once worked a "run" of auto shows, with a 5 foot length of rope. His daily fee was in FOUR FIGURES, + first class plane ticket, and per diem. (He did G.W. Hunter's "Impossible Knot".)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I never did tricks that require reset. Just my preference.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1088 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
I am glad people are saying no reset. I am glad we think a like. Just wonder why it took so long.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't like to ruffle feathers.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1088 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
LOL
rhone
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of rhone
Ressetting or not resetting , that's the question . the other question from clients is "why the magician goes on toillet /closet / behind the bar / on his suitcase between each groupe / table.
Some effect are very strong and need reset , so I used them only once or twice in the event . like a final or a special effect. So it's limited the choice . it is strong enough or not compared to the other magic I do (without reset).
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Working in a restaurant or any strolling party I've done, there is just no time to reset while going table to table or group to group. Everything has to be instant or no reset. I can't imagine taking time to go reset something at a busy gig.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can do the following all without reset.

Card Under Tablecloth.
Card in Matchbook.
Corner in Glass.
Card on Ceiling.
3 Card Monte.
Triumph.
Coin Matrix.
Sponge Balls.
Sugar Cube Trick.
Card Under Glass.
Too Many Cards.
Ring, Rope and Rod.
Chop Cup.
51 Cards to Pocket.
Signed Cards Across.
Color Changing Deck.
2 in the Hand, 1 in the Pocket.
Dice Stacking.
Cut and Restored Rope.

So to my mind there is absolutely no reason to have to worry about reset in the world I perform in. It is not as if this list of tricks is lacking impact in any way. It is not a complete list, but I think it makes my point.

All of it and much more can be done with little more than a few coins and a deck of cards. You only spend a few minutes with people at a time. You only have so much time every night and I don't want to spend it bothering with reset.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hee hee! Looking at that list, Danny, I suspect that you "knew" Chuck Schulein, Jim Ryan, Heba haba Al, and, perhaps, Don Alan! (maybe Crandall, and Allerton, too!) Youse "learned" from the BEST!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3246 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I work three restaurants a week and don't do tricks that require re-setting. It has nothing to do with magic it's just a practical matter. There are so many tricks that require no reset why bother with those that don't?

With a little though many tricks that don't reset can be made to reset. Gypsy Curse is a trick that doesn't reset but I found a simple way to do it. Hopping Halves can be made to reset simply by using two pockets (vest and pants) or one pocket with a divider.

Along the same lines, I don't do tricks that need special equipment unless I always have that equipment with me. If you are going to make a dollar bill float you better always have IT with you because people are going to request that trick. This isn't an iron clad rule but I prefer it over having to make excuses.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YUP!
spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
160 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
Great tricks I use for walkaround which are highly visual with no reset are ones such as,
Greg Wilson blank deck routine... Great for groups and couples and much akin to Anniversary waltz plus it doesn't destroy your regular deck.
Rubix Cube Steve Brundage... And a bag... Sometimes I have Rocky go in there after reading someone's mind and solving the side they were merely thinking of and then he does all the cube.
Again visual and good for noisy environments...

Card on Forehead... Card to fire wallet

Acrobatic matchbox Kennedy, use the premise of Herculese the flea...

Bill to lemon.... Not the plastic bills though...! Just have half a dozen made ready to go...

Best Nic
http://www.magentalist.droppages.com/

A.N.T , Bookworm , 50 Shades Blue, Heads I Win Positvely
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1438 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
That's a killer set Danny. I wish I could've experienced the Chicago bar magic scene.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1088 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
A Rocky for walk around! Wow!
spectrahue
View Profile
Regular user
Leicestershire
160 Posts

Profile of spectrahue
Yeh... I have him inside a small reinforced cardboard Pets at Home pet carrier box and I can fit my nights work in there.
When approaching tables I don't need an introduction because his tail has popped out and is wagging.... The curiosity that ensues has the guests trying to make sure I visit them first!
I can pop my pet box down on a chair table or floor and get Rocky out to do our act... Then when he's had enough in he goes...

You can get quite a lot of tricks or routines in the box and it's logical. You always transport pets in some kind of box or carrier so why not Rocky...

Nic
http://www.magentalist.droppages.com/

A.N.T , Bookworm , 50 Shades Blue, Heads I Win Positvely
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Resetting tricks for walk-around (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL