The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » So what exactly is the greatest trick?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TheReviewer
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of TheReviewer
Hello friends. If X-stream by Chris Dugdale is not the greatist trick of 2005 what is? I am interested in all your views for the greatest trick of 2005 or of all time for that matter!

For me I can't really decide, although I think a signed card to impossible location has to be up there among card tricks at least! I enjoy Jay Sankey's Paperclipped and Tommy Wonder's card to ring box is very nice too.

The Reviewer
vilewarner
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
86 Posts

Profile of vilewarner
WHY WHY WHY
TheReviewer
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of TheReviewer
Thanks for the contribution vilewarner.

The reason I asked is there was another post called "the greatest trick of 2005" which seemed to be a bit of a plug for Chris Dugdale. It got me thinking about what could be considered the world's greatest trick.

I am genuinely interested in the differing views of other magicians on this.

So in your response to the post "WHY WHY WHY", I have to ask why why why did you make that post!

The Reviewer
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
There is no "the greatest trick of 2005" or any other year. I have seen people bore their spectators to death with the "hottest new trick," and I have been fortunate enough to see Karrell Fox have people entertained and rolling in the aisles with laughter using nothing more than a half dozen imp bottles. The "greatest trick" is in the performer.

Have a good one,

Bob Phillips
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
What is the best food in the world?

What is the best car under $100,000?

What was the best movie of the last 5 years?
TheReviewer
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of TheReviewer
Goodness me, I'm sure there isn't one answer. I was asking for different opinions on the subject, I'm sure people have OPINIONS on what the best car/food/movie have been.

If you don't have a valid contribution to this thread then why do you have to make a post!

Honestly... How rude! I make a simple post asking for a few points of view and all I get is snide sarcastic comments...
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Good point The Reviewer ! I am a little tired about the sarcastic guys on the Magic Café who write comments empty of content ...
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
A trick is just a medium for magical expression, nothing more, nothing less. I've seen great tricks that were butchered by mediocre magicians. I've seen pros (Bob Sheets comes to mind) take tricks that I considered mediocre and turn them into astonishing performance pieces.

Great magicians are far more interesting than great tricks.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:
On 2005-03-16 18:48, BarryFernelius wrote:

Great magicians are far more interesting than great tricks.

Spot on,

that's why I like the great magicians turn a simple trick into great effects.

In the right hands ANY trick is great. apart from "braco's floating ball"

Sorry to bring that name again Smile
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I second the WHY WHY WHY.... Its an empty question.... whats the best trick of 2005?! come on....

Go with what's old and proven instead of new and exciting...
TheReviewer
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of TheReviewer
It's an open question with many answers, put it into context. It was a mirror of a previous post with the same title. I did mention that I was not just talking about 2005.

It's just so many people came on to say that the X-stream trick is not the greatest trick, perhaps these people would like to speak up and say what IS.

You are right, the question is a no-brainer and was asked in a light hearted manner. I personally think it is fun descussing prefered effects and methods with other magicians. Sorry not everyone agrees.

ERIC - lighten up, how do you further the art of magic if you only go with what's "old and proven"?
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Quote:
On 2005-03-16 19:44, TheReviewer wrote:

ERIC - lighten up, how do you further the art of magic if you only go with what's "old and proven" ?

If you start digging into old catalogues and magic books the "new and exciting" is just a remake from "old and proven"

I have a hobby of digging old magic catalogues and once I saw a zig zag type illusion dating back to 1890's ! ! ! I am not saying there is nothing new in magic but there is already too much stuff to work for the rest of your life rather than everytime looking for a new trick and forgetiing the good ones you already know and do. Try and make a trick look good with presentation and patter rather than looking for a diabolical method/secret that nobody can find out.

There is NO such thing as greatest trick becouse once it is exposed it is no more "the greatest trick"

:kewl:
TheReviewer
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of TheReviewer
I totally agree, my point wasn't that I believe in all these new "daibolical" secrets. We all started with the quest to find that "perfect" trick that doesn't exist. I'm not into gaffs, being a purist I am a loyal follower of Marlo.

"go what's old and proven" - that's a pretty broad statement to make and doesn't refer to method, effect or presentation. I think it important to develope old effects and make them your own, with your own presentation. There would never be any new presentations if people just went with what is old and PROVEN.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
If I were to point at something, Id say the Cups and Balls is the greatest trick/effect ever.

Many magicians have earned big name, fame and money with this effect.

Shown by every kind of performers. From streets to big posh places.

Appear, Vanish, transport all is included in this one effect. you teach em and still fool em.

My vote goes to C & B

:kewl:
vilewarner
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
86 Posts

Profile of vilewarner
The "why" was in response to what I interpreted as another worthless thread that shamelessly plugged this "x-stream" product. If I was wrong in my assessment, I am geniunely sorry. You do have only 9 posts and are called the reviewer, just made me wonder..
vilewarner
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
86 Posts

Profile of vilewarner
The "why" was in response to what I interpreted as another worthless thread that shamelessly plugged this "x-stream" product. If I was wrong in my assessment, I am geniunely sorry. You do have only 9 posts and are called the reviewer, just made me wonder..
vilewarner
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
86 Posts

Profile of vilewarner
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-03-16 18:14, RIVARDJLR wrote:
Good point The Reviewer ! I am a little tired about the sarcastic guys on the Magic Café who write comments empty of content ...

RIVARDJLR,
Blah, blah, blah.

TheReviewer,
it's March 2005, not January 2006. What's your deal on the best trick of 2005??????????
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Is there such thing as a greatest trick?

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Paul Hughes
View Profile
Regular user
UK
123 Posts

Profile of Paul Hughes
Blimey people! Why all the venom? Its only a question essentially about what people think is the best trick they've gotten this year.

I'll stick my two penneth in (although its not strictly a trick) - Stelth - the invisible thread loop making system. Brilliant, cheap and dead easy to make hundreds of elastic thread loops for pennies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » So what exactly is the greatest trick?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL