The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Led Zeppelin Best Band Of All Time!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Salzmanmagic
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Salzmanmagic
The best band of all time is definately Led Zeppelin! Jimmy Page is the best guitarist, Bonzo is the best drummer, Robert Plant is the best singer, and Jone paul jones is the best bassist, keyboardist, etc. The Beatles aren't even rock so they don't count. Rolling Stones are not nearly as good. The Who is ok not close. Grateful Dead isn't either.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
I just through looking at the dvd that Plant and Page made in Morocco. It's fantastic. If you havent seen it do whatever it takes to get a copy.
-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
Anyone who thinks Jimmy page is the best guitarist hasn't seen him live.

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Page's genius is in composition and production.

The Beatles aren't rock?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-03-16 16:50, Salzmanmagic wrote:
The Beatles aren't even rock so they don't count.

Your post speaks only of bands, not genres. Whether the Beatles were rock or pop or whatever is irrelevant.

Led Zeppelin pales.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
While I agree that Led Zeppelin was a very good band with some great songs I was a bit saddened that you felt the need to put down other groups.
Comparing bands is kind of like comparing apples and oranges, they are fruit but each has it's own unique flavor and texture so a comparison really is not fair and besides, one's taste, be it for fruit or music is very subjective.
As far as the Beatles not being a rock band? They were Rock, Pop, Rockabilly, Ballad, Psychedelic and even a little bit country (Act Naturally). Go back and listen to their very early material when they were doing Skittle and then say they are not a Rock band.
Thanks to the genius of George Martin and his very liberal attitude towards the Beatles by allowing them to play around and experiment in the recording studio, many new and innovative recording techniques were developed that every band since has been able to use to their advantage.
In my opinion there is no best band but there are many great bands and soloists. Just to name a few:

Black Oak Arkansas
ZZ Top
Ted Nugent
Bob Seger
Frank Zappa (some of his guitar solo's kick butt)
Ten Years After
Jimi Hendrix

I could go on and on but this short list makes my point.
You are obviously a great fan of Led Zeppelin and I do agree that they were a great band but there is no need to put down or degrade other groups in order to praise your particular favorite.
With that said, I do think that one of the best songs of all time is "Stairway To Heaven". Love that song Smile .
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11174 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-03-16 16:54, tabman wrote:
I just through looking at the dvd that Plant and Page made in Morocco. It's fantastic. If you havent seen it do whatever it takes to get a copy.
-=tabman

I'm assuming this is the DVD that matches up to the CD, "No Quarter- Page and Plant Unledded"? I haven't seen the DVD, but I do have the CD and it's one of my favorites. The last four tracks are hypnotic, and build like nothing I've ever heard.

I was 13 when Led Zeppelin first came out, so needless to say, I was raised on them at an age when music really starts to matter to a person. I followed them through all their albums, learned to play some of their music on guitar, saw them in concert, even saw the movie, "The Song Remains The Same" when it first hit the theaters, but have typically managed to keep things in perspective.

There were Zep zealots then, and I suppose they will be around for a long time. The younger ones kill me when they get all pumped up and talk to me about Led Zeppelin like they are giving me new information. Mostly, the Zep zealots are the ones who can head bang with the best to any radio-favorite Led Zeppelin song, but don't know much beyond that.

Iven indicated what the Beatles were in terms of their music... Led Zepplin was experimental and groundbreaking in the same way. They were blues, ballads, pop rock, hard rock, acid rock, heavy metal, rockabilly, and classical. Often, these styles were mixed on an album. On ocassion, they were mixed within a single song. Their style evolved with each album they released, and the time that passed between those releases, testified to the fact that they were true musicians and artists, and not just existing to crank out Top 40 hits.

Many of the hair bands of the late 70's and early to mid 80's were directly patterning themselves after Page and Plant. Led Zeppelin was extremely influential in music style. But, so were many bands. While some are overblown in my opinion, some are unsung musical geniuses. It's unfair to say any one band is the best, but Led Zeppelin is surely among the best.

Led Zeppelin was great because all the members were great. John Bonham knew more about what to leave out than many drummers know what to play. To say that Page was sloppy is side stepping the issue. Music is often better graded on the emotion, rather than the precision. Plant has the soul of a musician in a way rarely seen or heard. Watch him on Austin City Limits on PBS. John Paul Jones' contribution to the band has always been the hardest to describe. The best way to understand, is to leave him out and you'll know what's missing.

To say that Led Zeppelin is the best is narrow-minded in its disregard for all music. To say that they aren't in the running is simply being ignorant to the essence of Led Zeppelin.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Irossall.

I think you will find the word you are looking for is "skiffle".

Many a youngster formed his own group and played "skiffle" music. Made a bass out of an old tea chest and broomhandle, an old glass washing board played with thimbles on the fingers sufficed as sort of snare drum sound and of course some cheap guitars.One of UK's earliest "skiffle"groups was lead by Lonnie Donnigan who sadly passed away a couple of years ago..famous songs "Rock Island Line" and "Cumberland Gap"

Beatles were a sort of Skiffle group in their infancy as "The Quarrymen"

Howard
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
And that should read Lonnie Donegan !

Howard
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I think Cure is the best band of all time because they are much more like rock than Shania Twain, However she is quite a bit harder than Bach
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Thank you Howard for the correction. Now I feel a bit silly Smile
Maybe I just created a new genre of music Skittle Smile .
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
No problem......it was specific to the UK anyway..

Howard
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
Quote:
To say that Page was sloppy is side stepping the issue. Music is often better graded on the emotion, rather than the precision.

The initial subject was concerning Page's guitar prowess, not the music of LED ZEPPLIN in general.

Regardless, sloppy musicianship can and does reduce the emotional impact of music.

If LED ZEPPLIN had any weak links in concert, it was Page.
Salzmanmagic
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Salzmanmagic
I have seen him on dvds live even better than not live
Salzmanmagic
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Salzmanmagic
Beatles are more folkish than rock some songs r rock but not real rock. Led zeppelin wasn't really classical. stairway to heaven isn't classical, it'z slow and it speeds up I cant put that into genre.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Zep rocks.
Black Oak Arkansas...Go, Jim Dandy, Go!
Beatles never fade in my ears.
And while you're talking Lonnie Donegan, don't forget Chas and Dave for fall-out-of-your-chair funny...especially "Wallop!"

Da nah, da nah, Dunt, Dunna Dunt, Dunna Dunt!
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
mikeflex
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of mikeflex
When I am in a bad mood, no song cheers me up like "Rock and Roll"
Rudolph McGuinness
View Profile
New user
Isle of Man
23 Posts

Profile of Rudolph McGuinness
Led Zeppelin, Kings Hall, Belle Vue, Manchester, England, around 1971. Woweee!!!

But then I also like modern jazz and classics, so no big statements. Enjoy what you like and don't wear horse blinkers.

Rudy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Led Zeppelin Best Band Of All Time!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL