The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » T-Shirt Sales (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
We tried it once and broke even with a couple of boxes left over. Then we just used them as hand outs during the show.

Where we went wrong was we went with a logo kind of t-shirt.

From what I have seen if you have something really hip and funny on the front then your logo either on the front but way down low where they can tuck it in or on the back if you want to deal with two side printing costs.

This away when people comment on the guys shirt he can untuck or turn around and explain what it means. This is from a comedy angle. I don't know if many magicians sell t-shirts. I know Kozak did and Amazing J. So I suppose there is a market.

I think that is the direction we will go if we ever venture back to T-Shirts. Witty saying or something.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think your shirt just needs to be fun. Just like buying a car or any product, people are going to want to wear it. They will get this if it appeals to them in some sort of way. Either it just looks cool, or is comical or it highlights the show with illusions etc., looks like a rock tour t-shirt.. who knows really. The idea is that your taking the time to create something people will want to wear on their backs and keep as a souvenir.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Adam Grace
View Profile
V.I.P.
LA, CA
149 Posts

Profile of Adam Grace
Check out Nathan Kranzo's shirts from his website...sorry don't have the link on me. I left it in my other jacket.
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
I sell T-shirts after my show, they don't get as much sales as the easy magic for kid's book I wrote nor like the ball and vases/svengali/stripper decks and autographed photos. Unless you're a rock star or someone cool its hard to justify t-shirt sales because they can get pricy. A few years ago when word shirts were popular among kids I sold two kinds: "Dan Sperry Rawks My World" was written in scribble like font accross the front with my website link at the bottom, and I still do pretty good with those because they're just retarted. I also used " I saw Dan Sperry LIVE!" and underneath it is said "and my mom bought me this t-shirt" with my web link as well. That one did OK as well but really they're just a novelty and aren't much of a way to generate an income because its hard to keep all sizes and then you either have to have like a girls and guys t-shirt of a cross-gender t-shirt. Just something to think about...
DANSPERRY.COM
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
I use them as an upsell at kids events. For example, a birthday child gets a shirt, large balloon sculpture, etc. for additional $50. The shirt costs about $3, and I have all the birthday kid's friends sign it. Nice profit, much more than I'd make selling them. However, I'll try selling them this summer -- ya think $7 is out of line?
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
I guess it depends on whether your known or not.

David Copperfield sells a lot of shirts I would assume- because he his recognisable
, where as people don't know you

The shirts are different values to the audience- it's like presitge or something for the audience to where the Copperfield shirt but to wear (no offence) joe blows shirt it isn't recognizable for an audience.

Perhaps you could design a shirt that ties in with a performance from your magic kit- have a prediction as 1 image on the shirt- the prediction wouldn't be the focus but say you did an effect where you ask a lady her name and then you revealed your stomach and in ash was her name- something like that that is full proof for the shirt- then it could be a top up sale to the magic kit.
Or simply have the force cards of a Svengali deck on it- When I buy my Svengali decks in bulk - all the force cards are the same. which would help in printing shirts.

I have always liked the opportunity costs bit

what is the opportunity lost by wearing your shirt-----the ability to wear the nike shirt-

so I would suggest looking through all the department stores and look at designs and naaaaaaa just kidding not going there.

Anyway I hope my negative comments help

Cheers,

Dave
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
My favorite magic shirt is the "Pick another card" hand with a fan and the words "PLEASE do not show me another card trick!
I also like the ones with the secret message- (remember the old folding pictures in the back of Mad Magazine?....
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
It seems that the "Pick a card" theme is aimed at magicians, not a lay audience.
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Mine will say something like...

It takes a Village to raise an Idiot.

Then at the very bottom, where they can tuck it ink, have our logo/website.

Our last shirt just said in bold with a jester hat across the top..

VILLAGE IDIOT

Only the true fans bought them.

I agree if you aren't a celeb it needs to be something funny or striking.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The World's Greatest Magic Show has an excellent T-Shirt pitch. Each time a kid is brought up to assist, they get a T-shirt. A total of about 5 shirts get given away during the show.

At the end of the show, Kozak announces that the performers will be available to autograph T-shirts.

Here's the sneaky bit. They bring up one child from a multiple child family.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
That principle works great at a lot of the festivals I do as well. It is sort of a part of my BOR sales pitch idea. I simply give a child a gift (item I will be selling) and state that we have them available following the performance and will be autographing items after the show. It usually works out great.

I do like the idea of an item that can be sold that can also be signed. This is an added incentive to buy the item to get it signed as well.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2448 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
The shirt may sell better if it is intrinsically funny - then also tell em you can do a trick with the shirt if you buy one - use Penn and Teller's idea (they did it with a mock grave marker at Forest Lawn) - print a card image and the words "Is this your card?" on the back or tail, and include with the shirt instructions for a simple force and the suggestion that they mis-guess a couple of times and then to show your "victim" the card and words on the shirt.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Ego shirts don't sell unless others agree you deserve to have one. The Village Idiots have the right idea. Put the "want" factor into the shirt and link it to yourself. Its a win-win.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » T-Shirt Sales (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL