The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sponge balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Hey guys,
Can anyone recommend a good video for learning a 'good' sponge-ball routine? I see several different routines listed over to Hank Lee's site but nothing for the 'newbie'. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Smile
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Brad Burt's tape on sponge ball magic is quite good for the beginner.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
If a routine is what you want I think you would be best served to devise your own routine.
If you want to learn vanishes that is another thing and I too would like someone to recommend a video (preferably DVD) that not only shows a number of vanishing techniques but also spends a fair amount of time on each one. Every video I have seen shows the handling of a vanish once or twice and does it fairly quickly so the viewer must constantly go back again and again. The focus on the few video's I have found are on the routine, not the vanishes.
Paul Green has an excellent video called "In The Trenches" that has a sponge ball routine. You might want to check that one out. It also has an excellent cut & restored rope routine that leads into the professor's nightmare.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Yeah, I think a video that taught the slights first would probably be best. I guess once I've learned the sleights, it shouldn't be 'too' hard to create a routine. Anyone got any pointers/suggestions? I'm all ears! Smile
mgical
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of mgical
It is not the greatest dvd but the royal magic one is not too bad to start with and is really redeemed by its price! Amazing tricks with sponge balls (or something like that). I can't think of another (apart from Brads which I am not sure is on DVD? Brad does post here so he may well correct me).

The Royal DVD offers value for money and teaches some of the key sleights
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
L&L has re-released some older Pat Page vdieos on DVD. One of them is sponge balls which has his own routine on it. He's a very good teacher as well.

J.
~Joe
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Check out the Mark Wilson Course. It has a great routine.

Richard
stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
I second the Pat Page video from L&L. I believe it's $10 including shipping, which is great value for the money. There is some great stuff on there, including a good general routine, and it's very accessible for the newbie (like me).
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
How is this for a 'starting' point?

Sponge Magic GiftPack Contents:
Set of 4 Professional Super Soft Red Sponge Balls (Value of $9.95)
25 Amazing Magic Tricks with Sponge Balls Video [VHS] (Value of $11.95)
Purse Frame (Value of $4.95)
1 Color Sponge Ball (Different than "Red" for the Color Change effect) (Value of $2.95)
Ball to Square Mystery (Value of $4.95)
Magical Gift Wrap (Value of $4.00)
Our great value of $38.75 for only $30.95!! Save 20%!!!
dam0n
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of dam0n
Hey guys, just a question...haven't yet ventured into the realms of sponge ball magic..but just wondering.i was actually looking for a blue sponge heart...and the closest I could come to was a red 1.5 IN sponger heart.....any idea if it'd be possible/hard/easy to cut a blue sponger ball into a heart? (don't know how soft a sponger ball feels)
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
I'm guessing there aren't a lot of people that still do sponge ball magic anymore, eh? Never got a response to my last post Smile
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Thousands of Magician's do sponge ball material. Sponge balls will never go away anymore than cups & ball or any number of classic effects.

As far as buying the kit that you listed? I would just buy a set of sponge balls (I prefer 2" green) and a good video and/or book and practice some moves first. After a while you will know exactly what you want.
So many people use red which is ok but I like to be different so I use green but depending on the type of routine you choose to do and the story line you may want to use other colors than the "classic" red.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
magical65stang
View Profile
New user
Turlock, CA
73 Posts

Profile of magical65stang
Hey wulfie, a bunch of magicians still use sponges and I too would suggest just buying 4 (i prefer goshman 2") sponges to get started. I learned the slights from Mark Wilson's Complete Course and tinkered a retention vanish into a version I prefer. Lately I have been doing a part of Jim Pace's routine in his Restaurant Workers Handbook. I like his idea of a flash production and the ending of a bunch of balls. Once you can see a few routines to get a general idea, then you can construct a stong sponge routine. It is kind of like creating an ACR, once you learn the basics, it is all in your hands. Good luck, and enjoy those soft little bugers.

One last note, I also started with a packet sponge trick called, Then There Were Four. This is something that killed in the restaurant, I just cannot remembet who it is made by.
"I'm not a liar, you just don't see the truth."
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Carl Andrews has a nice one called Ain't no mo and of course if you are new to magic and want some good impromptu there's always the famous Greg Wilson On-The-Spot which includes a paper balls routine which could use sponge balls instead...
catch you later

Clarioneer
threadz
View Profile
New user
TN.
37 Posts

Profile of threadz
I think beginners should learn the classic like cup & balls,sponge balls,chop cup and ect.It is the fudamental of magic and prepares you for sleights and misdirections and for the higher skills effects.I like it when magician ask about sponge balls and sleights it tells you they are serious about learning and not just wanting to buy a trick.
www.xtrememagicshop.com

where the magic is limited only by your Imagination!
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of amakar
I gotta go with Mark Wilson's routine for the typical presentations.
I've been performing that effect for over 15 years and it still gets a good reaction...the only problem is every other sponge ball routine has a lot of the same elements.

My favorite sponge ball effect is Clones From Brazil by Ron Bauer.
Originally published in Genii Magazine, the effect was later published on the http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com site.
Nick Az
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Nick Az
It has already been said but I'll repeat it. Patrick Page's L&L DVD that came out is a pretty good start it's only 12.50 and he has a few good vanishes he goes over, as well as a reasonable routine.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I bought the Royal Magic kit for TT magic for my sister-in-law who has taken a real late in life interest in magic. The video while having fair material was not well produced. The picture is dark, like they could not afford one more light on the set, and since a lot of the action takes place near the bottom of the screen it would have been nice to keep it in frame. I am hoping the Royal sponge ball tape is better produced.

I am awaiting the Pat Page video with great anticipation. I love his style and probably keep this one for my library - Sorry Patricia.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Speaking of sponge balls, Jay Sankey's Ear Plugs! has some really good sponge balls routines. He uese the yellow rectangular sponge in the EarPlugs! dvd but I can see replacing round sponge balls.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sponge balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL