The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Daemon's dirt... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2005-03-21 16:57, kaytracy wrote:
And besides, I thought those Cal Tech guys were the ones getting you INTO trouble!!

Well that too.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
burgerinc
View Profile
Regular user
Sin City
196 Posts

Profile of burgerinc
I would love to see it burn a pentagram in a tarot card!
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
I suspect that the bad results are from using too much G**** It only takes a drop or two to get the reaction.... More kills it.
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of saheer
Sanscan's right - most of the time I've had problems with this it's been because of too much G.
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

perhaps saher, you wernt drinkin enuff brew ski heh?

LOL

Im not ordering this shyte...seems overall to be YET ANOTHER piece of MAGIC HYPE..
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Good idea baba....go with the original!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17670 Posts

Profile of Slim King
What "Original" are you speaking of?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27146 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Can we move this discussion of chemistry and safety issues to somewhere safer.

We are discussing glycerine and concentrated oxidizing agents here... that are not safe to taste test.

Suggestions?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Funny you should mention that, Jonathan. Guess what I just found on eBay ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie......ack=true

Still, I don't see why it should be moved. No one here is, nor should they be, responsible for what someone else decides to do with whatever knowledge they got from this discussion. For one, this information is not hard to get, a simple google search (or any other decent search portal for that matter) will yield the ingredients list.
In fact, as I just pointed out, you can even buy it on eBay now.
I think society must start backing away from this mindset of communal blame and absolution of personal responsibility. Every time somebody goes and does something stupid, we all get punished for it by having something taken away - a freedom, or some substance, book, or product that is removed from market, etc. The way we can start to do this is by rounding up all the lawyers and ambulance chasers into a huge dining hall, and pull a Vlad Tepes on them. (Dracula historians will know that which I refer to).
I do wish to note however that I am not referring to the Patriot Act or anything terrorism related. I am solely referring to the kinds of acts of idiocy that result in things like dislaimers in catalogs of children's toys that state, "Children not Included".
True story, I kid you not ! It's sad.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Actually, that is in violation of eBay policies as a harzardous chemical.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Does this really qualify as hazardous though ? It's not toxic or radioactive. After all, we can sell and buy flash paper, flash powder, etc.
Do an eBay search on "chemicals", some very interesting things pop up, including a Doug Henning effect, as well as pyrotechnics.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Well, many strong oxidizers will require a hazardous shipping fee, and proper markings to be shipped by ANY means, and some will be fully restricted form being shipped on airplanes (guess how a large amount of mail and packages get to places!)
kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Yeah, that guy on ebay.. his effect portion is a direct rip off of a Harkey effect called Bon Fire.. somebody should tell him.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Actually, this is a restricted substance. I've been working with it for some 20 years, when you could buy it over the counter in toy stores as part of a chemistry set, or at drugstores.

It is now used by illicit drug manufacturers to produce certain items, so you need to be very careful about purchasing it.

Once I learned how to make it work, I never had a problem with it not igniting. You have to use a non-metallic mortar and pestle and grind the granules almost to dust right before setting it up. This exposes fresh surfaces for the G to work on. Otherwise, it oxidizes slightly and forms a layer that keeps it from working.

I don't know how this pyrotechnic company is selling it over the internet.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of saheer
Bill Palmer - Thanks for the advice! I never thought about grinding it further.
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I got the advice from a chemistry teacher.

BTW, to kind of parallel what Jonathan Townsend was saying, if you do work with this or any other potentially dangerous chemical, get the MSDS for the chemical. You can find these on line. MSDS means Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet. Sheherazade was the first magic book to have the MSDS's for every chemical even mentioned in the book.

Also, ask a chemistry teacher to help you with the proper disposal of the chemicals and with proper handling of them.

Finally, many people who make magic props intentionally mis-name the chemicals used in their props so you can't refill them yourself. This is probably illegal. If you don't know what you are working with, you can't possibly handle it safely.

There is a smoke product that the manufacturer claims uses a tritium compound. It doesn't. It uses a titanium compound that is DEADLY. Tritium would be worse. But the compound they claim to be using does not exist.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Thought I'd just dig this up ( no pun intended), as this is very useful information.
I too had the problem of not getting it to combust.
Once I ground it up in a mortar and pestle, it worked like a charm !
The trick is get that ozidized crust off the grains, this "exposes" the chemical and enables the reaction.
I wonder how long before it starts to oxidize again though .. ?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
FYI= Ebay removed the item for it being a violation of their rules... so there ya go....

Posted: Nov 30, 2005 6:50pm
BTW - I must have it wrong - although I'd love to get a hold of this effect - didn't Andruzzi's demon dust also sprout tentacles and such? Or am I thinking of a different effect... somewhere when a cop pulled out a gun thinking a demon was really materializing... or is that an urban legend? (Urban for here, that is!)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Almost Amazing Doug
View Profile
New user
Pullman, WA
78 Posts

Profile of Almost Amazing Doug
Dr Spektor,

You are correct. This thread is dealing with two differnt things that have the same name.

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Daemon's dirt... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL