The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Pk sharpie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I have sent this question to other guys on this website (PM) and I figured I would ask here for other people to read.

I'm going to ask you a question and I would like for you guys to answer honestly. I was think about buying this, but I also want PSI Sharpie. Now, I know these are two different gimmicks. But, I was wondering would it be dumb to have both? I mean, PSI Sharpie is used for the slightest turn, movement. PK Sharpie is used for falling off things? Is that the jist of it? Again, would it be dumb to have and use both?
§kitch
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Hi Skitch,

I don't think it would be dumb to have both, provided you see a PSI Sharpie in action first? I mean, I don't know how it works, but I assume it's electronic at that price, and you have to see if it looks good as it moves, and if it makes any sound. Hopefully, it will go well on both respects.

However, the PK Sharpie is a completely different method, and if you balance it on the edge of the table or a wine glass, it VERY slowly topples over and looks very creepy. The pen is then examinable and will still write.

But having both pens might be an idea for repeat performances to some of the same crowds... especially if you get the pens in different styles (so they know it is not the "trick pen"). That way if someone says, do that moving pen trick, you can show them something different (although similar) with a different pen.

Hope that all made sense, because sometimes I type faster than I think!

All the best,

Liam
http://www.magic-mirror.co.uk
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of jasper
I was wondering how long the pk sharpie could write for! I guess some/most of the inners have been replaced, which will give it a shorter writting life span. All I'm thinking is if I have someone use it before hand in say a Drawing dupe how long before I replace the pen?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Hi Jasper, good question.

I always recomend people only use I for something very small, ie. signing a card etc.
but saying that, I use the same pen when I do my drawing dupe.
unfortunatly I can't say how long before you have to re-ink it, as I use 20 of them in my show! I have a whole cup full and simple ask people to take one when they need to write something. then later they can also hand me any pen for the PK effect.

but between 20 pens I have not had to re-ink yet over the space of a year... I will let you know when I do.

In Magic
Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of jasper
Thanks for quick response! Mine is on order, looking fwd to its arrival! Having a cup full is a great idea but is a few hundred pounds out of my price range!

Hold on - when you say re-ink it does that mean I could replace the ink unit?
--Albert Einstein
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I saw this demonstrated today, And I know I will get a lot of heat for this. But I was extremley disapointed with it. I believe it was Over Hyped and it is way over Priced.
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of jasper
Why disapointed?Was the pens action/quality not great or could it have been that it was not presented well!
--Albert Einstein
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Corey, did you see this done in an actual performance, or was it simply demostrated as to what it does. It takes a lot to pull off this kind of effect.

Banachek now uses this version in his lecture and his professional shows. He presents it in such a strong way, he gets full impact from the effect.

please let us know what exactaly you didn't like about it? :@)

To say it is over hyped is strange becuase we have only ever said what the pen does. it just falls off a table. that's it. but presented well it is a shock effect.

The people that own it seem to like it and I have even had one person buy three for his act to offer a choice of pens. bit like what I do but on a cheaper scale.

peoples comments are always valued, so thank you for stating your view.

In Magic
Steve Dela
FFFF
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
From the feedback, sounds like just a toy for me. That's my opinion.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
I've heard great things about Banachek's presentation of the PK pen/sharpie. Is there any way I could see it without buying his DVD? I already have one of the DVDs from his series, but the it's not on it.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I'm sure its in the presentation. My Sharpie is ordered but I already own the PK Pen and T. Timber. I wanted the Sharpie to cause the knocked down cup and wobble effect.

I agree, a demo would be really nice.
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of jasper
Just recieved mine! It's fantastic! Once I found the right ballancing point (which is more pen on table so looks impossible to fall) good amount of time before any movement, then a little wobble, a bit more, then pow it falls! Very impressive action I will definitely be using this item!
--Albert Einstein
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Thank you Jasper for your kind words regarding the sharpie.
the more pen on the table, is what makes this effect so creepy for lay people to watch.

if you try it with the lid end on the table, the pen seems to turn a little right before it drops!

In Magic
Steve Dela
FFFF
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
"then a little wobble, a bit more"

Can't wait for it to arrive, this movement is why I wanted it to begin with (with PK pen)
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Hello,

I'm interested in the PK sharpie. Can I change the time(from putting to falling)? I like 30-45 seconds.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Can it be done on the spectator's hand?
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
The PK Sharpie can indeed be done on someones hand, perfect for walk around mentalists.
I takes some control, but it has nice impact when done correctly.

Jay - Unfortunatly the time can not be changed to drasticaly, there is a large time range, but it won't quite last up to 30 seconds before it falls.

Two reasons for this, the method combined with the weight of the sharpie means that getting the right amount of the secret something was realy difficult, it took a lot of experiment and about 30 -40 pens before I had it where I wanted it.

The other reason means that those that have Banacheks original pen can place both down at the same time and have a kind of mental PK race with a participant.
using a magicians force (type thing) you end up with the PK Sharpie, place both down and ask your spectator to concentrate on getting their pen to move.
The Sharpie will fall first, now relax and say, look I shal now attempt this one (point to Bic) then that falls, nice shocker that makes it look like you realy do have total control.

I am currently working to see if these can be made to fall after a longer wait (Very difficult, ususaly end up with it just not moving!).
Possible a PK Generation 2 will eventually come out, but not for a long time yet.
Then it may be possible to do the above routine using two sharpies.
Personaly I, and many others believe there is a long enough time period to build up the tension. A lot of tension building can actualy be achieved before you even place the pen down, for example by following the PK Pencil effect on banacheks DVD.
The tension is already there, it is now a case of doing the effect with a heavier object.

In Magic
Steve Dela
FFFF
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Thanks, Steve.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I received this the other day and have used it a few times for strolling. Aside from the small difference in the color of the ones sold here, it works great. Sometimes I get that little twist (Steve wrote "if you try it with the lid end on the table, the pen seems to turn a little right before it drops!") before it falls and it is powerful.
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Hello I own the pk sharpie and I find that it is hard for me to balince it in the right area, I'm probaly just being a dork on this, so I appolagize if I am writting the obviouse, but is there any tec. that people have delvloped to get it to fall everytime, I love this effect, it is real cool and my audence has a fun time with it thanks justin
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Pk sharpie (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL