The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Rubinstein DVD reviews and Cutting Edge Cards and Coins review. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I just posted an in depth review of Mike Rubinstein's two new coin lecture DVDs at http://www.coinvanish.com.

I also posted a review on John Born and Jason Dean's new Cutting Edge Cards and Coins DVD set.

Enjoy.

Dan
Click to visit:
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of John Born
Great site!

Thanks for the review!

John B. Born
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7007 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
The gaffs for Translocation Reborn: Do I need to actually buy gaffed coins for it or are they gaffs you can make?

Expecting to have the dvd's soon. Can't wait.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
You can't make them unless you have a lathe and the ability to machine coins to make coin gaffs. So... you will need to buy them.
Click to visit:
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Thanks for the review Dan! Smile
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7007 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Just checking. Thanks so much.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
One of the trick, according to Dan's review, seems to require GOLD coins, am I right? Do I need to buy extra coins for that effect?

best,
Hirase
In love with magic!
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4149 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
If you are referring to Twilight Zone Wild Coin, or the Merlini Purse Routine, I use old copper coins that are tarnished to a very dark color, and one that is gold plated to provide contrast.
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I just had the opportunity to view both of the Michael Rubenstein DVD's, and I reccomend the experience to anyone interested in coin magic, regardless of his or her present skill level. There's something here for everyone, and Michael is so warm and friendly about the whole thing that even novices will find themselves trying out moves that would otherwise have appeared too difficult to even attempt.

(By "otherwise" I mean if the same moves were presented in the intimidating, elitist, excessively macho manner used on other video projects, like those "Palms of Steel" things)

For the specifics on these DVD's, including what they are and what's on them, I can do no better than to refer you to Dan Watkins' thorough reviews. I generally concurr on all of his comments with regard to these DVD/s. However, I'd like to add the following:

If you have any interest in Coin Assemblies and how to actually perform them for paying audiences, have a look at Quadra Coin Reverse Matrix. Michael's handling is graceful and deliberate. Note especially the elimination of the snappy and quick "Pick Up Move" and indeed any quick movements that suggest that you might be tossing, shooting, or sliding the coins around. The resulting movelessness is very disarming, and goes far to create the illusion of magic, as opposed to sleight of hand. This is probably the first reverse matrix to be true to Al Schneider's original vision.

The Click Pass Dan mentions really does work well. It looks natural, and produces a convincing click that is audible even under the less than perfect recording conditions that Dan details in his review. The ROPS looks great on this disc, too.

Finally, all I'm going to say about "Matting" is that I'm a complete sucker for this technique. I never see a thing when Michael does it, and just I've come to accept the fact that, from time to time, his hands will be completely empty when they shouldn't be. If you are fortunate enough to perform on your own surface, you need to learn this.

Thank you Michael, for an evening of great coin magic.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Rubinstein DVD reviews and Cutting Edge Cards and Coins review. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL