The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Absinthe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Has anyone on the forum ever had the drink Absinthe? Your experience?
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Alniner
View Profile
Loyal user
Burlington, ON, Canada
254 Posts

Profile of Alniner
Yes. I have a bottle at home.

Perhaps it's just the brand I have, but I didn't get stoned or drunk. Maybe having a few drinks before this would really mess you up. But on its own, you might have to drink the whole bottle before getting messed up.
Skål

--
Alan
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Yes, I can get a good straight Absinthe, I enjoy this natural stimulant.
In the UK we are quite strict with it (laws) but you can get it if you know where too look.

I also make a wormwood brew. You can go and pick wormwood most any place and incorporate it as you would like snapps. i.e. get a spirit, lets say vodka. then soak the WW in it for a few months.
Massive caution note here. Know your plants! and know the amounts too use.
You could make a fatal brew messing with quite a few different plants and mixing them with spirits.

Note Alniner. You may have the Absinthe without the active ingredient wormwood (the US standard) as is sold in most places. Real Absinthe is less frequent and costs a lot of money. the wormwood is of medical quality.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
You can read about absinthe here. The FDA and USDA prohibit importation or sale of beverages containing wormwood (Artemisia absinthum) in the United States.

Yours,

Paul
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
I have bought a number of absinthe drinks, some of which clalimed to contain the wormwood. I have never been anything but disappointed, the alcohol content is high but I have not experienced anything like the experience described by the users of a hundred years ago.
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Alniner
View Profile
Loyal user
Burlington, ON, Canada
254 Posts

Profile of Alniner
I import my Absinthe, to make sure I am getting the best. This is the bottle that I currently have at home.

http://www.absinth-bibel.de/ch/clandestine.html

Zum 01.03.2005 wurde nun endlich auch das Absinthe-Verbot in der Schweiz außer Kraft gesetzt, und so wagte der ehemalige Schwarzbrenner Claude Alain Bugnon als erster nach Yves Kübler den Schritt in die Legalität, und destilliert seit Anfang 2005 somit den zweiten legal hergstellten La Bleue aus dem Val de Travers, den er einfach nur La Bleue Clandestine (53%) nannte.

Wie jeder echte La Bleue handelt es sich beim Bugnon Clandestine um ein reines Kräuter-Alkohol-Destillat, in dem man aufs deutlichste den Wermut und in diesem Fall etwas zurückhaltender den grünen Anis zu spüren bekommt.

Im Gegensatz zum Kübler 53 ist der Clandestine nicht so schön abgerundet I'm Geschmack sondern eher etwas grob oder kantig veranlagt, was aber durchaus nichts schlechtes ist. Der Wermut-Geschmack läßt sich nicht 1:1 mit dem des Küblers vergleichen, da hier der eher etwas frische Wermut-Geschmack dominiert, den man meist durch Zugabe von Nachlauf aus Vordestillationen erhält, und nicht so sehr um den tiefen, fast erdigen Geschmack, der durch die reine Alkohol-Destillation bei niederen Temperaturen entsteht, den man vor allem I'm Kübler 45 und I'm Segarra vorfindet. Was dem Clandestine außerdem fehlt ist die Komplexität und der volle Körper, was ihn gegen den Kübler 53 und gegen den Blanche de Fougerolles abwertet.

Sicher ist Bugnon's Clandestine ein sehr guter und authentischer La Bleue, trotzdem wäre er durchaus noch verbesserungsfähig.
Skål

--
Alan
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Alniner, you import this to ensure you're getting the best but it doesn't get you stoned or drunk? Why not drink water?
Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Grimm
I drank absinthe once in New Orleans. It was very interesting, it was prepared in the traditional way, i.e. sugar was added and then it was lit on fire. The experience I had was in no way like that related in stories, though generally that is the case with any substances. My experience with absinthe was that I ended up drunk but lucid. I knew this sounds strange but it's the best way to describe it.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Dr. Wilson....although the US my not allow the import of beverages containing Wormwood...what about importing to the US wormwood extract or the actual plant? I'm considering making my own Absinthe brew I found on a website and it obviously calls for wormwood....just not sure if I can get that.
Brian-
Alniner
View Profile
Loyal user
Burlington, ON, Canada
254 Posts

Profile of Alniner
Quote:
On 2005-03-23 17:20, jonesc2ii wrote:
Alniner, you import this to ensure you're getting the best but it doesn't get you stoned or drunk? Why not drink water?

Because you can't find a good bottle of $80.00 water.
Skål

--
Alan
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Tuffnavyrn,

My advice is to stay away from the home brew approach. You could end up poisoning yourself. Save your money and go to a nice place in another country where you can enjoy Fee Verte with the special spoon, the sugar cube, and appropriate decor.

It's much safer and cheaper to enjoy Dr. Wilson's Memory Elixir!

Yours,

Paul
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I will heed your advice! Thank you for your responses.
Brian-
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Dudes and Dudettes, In the good old days the locals would drink near fatal amounts of drinks (wormwood infused) and this is why you hear the descriptions of intoxication you do.
My own wormwood brew is awesome. After about 50ml you get the effects described for the old style brews but the ratio of wormwood is much higher in mine so the alcohol ratio is less. thus less harmful, given that I can accurately test the level of wormwood in my brew.

Also note. High levels of thujone can affect the heart at a basic level. i.e. interferance with the elecrto nervous aspect of heart control.

If you are really interested then get a book that covers wormwood and learn to identify it, you will soon see it everywhere. Learn to dry and preserve it in vodka. Abs can be home made if distillation is legal, otherwise you have to use inffusion.

There are many other 'un'known plants that can be inffused to produce various effects. think Calystegia and la-111.

In Asia they have beetle nuts. While the residents chew them and get a stained mouth, some of us have started to use them as an additive to vodka after it has been treated.
If you have tried this brew you will most likely forget it along with the rest of the day! You wake up with your wallet still full of money as the one drink is enough Smile
- Mark Twain
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Quote:
On 2005-03-24 09:33, Alniner wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-03-23 17:20, jonesc2ii wrote:

Because you can't find a good bottle of $80.00 water.

Sure you can. Here I'll sell you a lovely bottle of Oxford water for $80! Smile
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Partizan.....I currently live in the US Territory of Guam where Beetle Nut is a staple with many Guamanians and Palauans. Do you mind sharing a home brew recipe for using the Beetle Nut after "treating" the Vodka? Please explain in depth the "treating" portion. Feel free to PM! Thanks.
Brian-
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
It needs too be pulped then reduced (boiled) in vodka. seperate out any oils and then dry it. Use this to infuse your vodka.

This is a good page.
http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/
- Mark Twain
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Thank you Partizan.
Brian-
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
489 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Quote:
On 2005-03-23 10:28, tuffnavyrn wrote:
Has anyone on the forum ever had the drink Absinthe? Your experience?

Sorry for the inconvient "off topic" remark that follows:

Doesn't Absinthe Make The Heart Grow Fonder?

Sorry, I had to do that. lol!
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
We can buy it here in BC with Wormwood!
Logic Defied
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Alym, What is the quoted content of wormwood in the drink you get?
- Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Absinthe (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL