The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » DMX Controller/DMX lights Solution (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
Why try to figure out how to use the lazer, when you can just turn the light on and position it?
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
For a fixed light, that is the solution. But a light with X-Y movement, I really need it to be centered perfectly as I use Black Art and no room for error. You can read about 3 of my illusions and methods in the Deceptive Side of Magic HERE

My requirements for these DMX lights and their movements is more critical than let's say a DJ or a band, or a magician or performer that does NOT use my methods for illusions. I am not a professional light man, but I feel I am quickly becoming one with all I have learned in the last year, and now with this powerful software, my visions of how these things should work are coming true!! I just don't want to take a chance a ruin an otherside great performance because my lights were just inches off revealing my methods. I hope this makes sense.
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
Listen to Kevin at Living Illusions he is a pro that tours and knows what he is talking about.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Oh I have!! He has patiently guided me through the DMX world. I have even called him on the phone for an Elation Pro 101 course. I owe it all to Kevin, which is why I started this thread so others can benefit as well. I knew NOTHING a year ago when I bought my first DMX lights and basic DMX controller. I have come a LONG way thanks to Kevin. I'm going to see his show this summer...I'm really looking forward to it!!
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hey there Muzicman, What dmx board are you using?
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Thanks for the kind words guys. We enjoy helping others achieve thier goals and to help make their show the best it can be. I look forward to hearing success stories about how you shows are coming along.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Originally I used a Chauvet DMX-6 Jr. it works great if your a DJ or have a band. Basically, you program "chases" and then play them back. Speed is controlled by a slider. It makes the lights move and change colors but that's about it. For serious performers, check out the Elation Compu Ware Pro (not the CLUB version). Elation even has the software you can download for free from their website HERE Then check with Kevin here at the Café for the best price and support.
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
So is this run through a laptop????
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
The Elation Compu Ware is run through the laptop, not the Chauvet DMX-6. The music is also run through the laptop for my shows and the software has a timetime for it as well. When I add multumedia (projectors) to my show, it will also sync that to my music and my lights. My work with the lights is all done before the show. I don't need to pay a lightman to run my lights during the show. Come show time, I just cue up my show and press PLAY. My music and my lightz are in perfect harmony. There are some portions of my act that I envisioned the lights to FLASH during an explosion heard on the soundtrack. The lights (now) pertfectly match the sound. I just added 5 new DMX fixtures last week and it was a snap to integrate them into my existing light show. I struggled with my old DMX-6 Jr controller board. It was not designed for an entertainer, just DJ's and rock bands. Seriously, if you have DMX lights, and you are a professional, (or want to be), this software will give you the power and control over your lights to move to the top level. I wish someone had told me about this software when I made my purchase for a controller, it would have saved me money in the long run. That's why I started this post, so others don't make the same mistake I did.
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hey there Muzicman, Thanks for the great info. I just want to make sure I got this right. All of my DMX fixtures and dimmer packs connects to that little box which plugs into my laptop turning my laptop into my light board. Whats the difference between the clup and pro versions? Thanks again Brian
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
I JUST GOT MINE UP AND WORKIG IT IS THE BEST THING I HAVE SEEN!!!the club version doesn't have as many features as the pro. it is worth every penny to get the pro version if you want to program your lights and music. I am so glad I got it (it replaced my show express by Chauvet) it is 50 times better!!!
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Great question! I had to ask that one myself. There is a BIG difference in price. The PRO version comes with EASY SHOW software as an addition. It's THAT software that makes the difference so don't get the club version. Basically, you program the different patterns you want using Compu Ware. You can program by individual fixture or groups of fixtures of the same type. You can even program in real time 1 fixture at a time. Then, you fire up EASY SHOW which contains the timelines. 1 timeline for your audio files (wav/mp3) and 1 timeline for youe audio CD (if needed) and 1 timeline for your multimedia (projectors). Then each fixture or group of fixtures (you decide) each get their own timelines as well. The preprogrammed movements can be dragged and dropped right into that fixtures timeline. You can also speed up/slow down each movement by stretching/compressing that action within the timeline for that fixture. So lets say you have an illuminaire with X-Y movements and you want them to make a perfect circle in the middle of the stage and complete that circle within a specific time period based on the soundtrack.

The DMX interface connects to your USB port on your laptop. I use a mini connector on the headphone jack that has 2 RCA plugs (right/left) so I can input my sound/music into my PA or my sound system. If you'd like, PM me the specific fixtures you have, or want, and I'll show you how to make them work with the demo software at the link I posted above. BTW, the software was extrememly confusing to me as the manual is vague and uses terms that don't seem to match what they do. I can help simplify what they make complicated.
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hey there Muzicman, Thanks for the great info. I will email you when I pick up the soft ware. Brian
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1832 Posts

For anyone wanting Compu Ware Pro or Club, either PM or email me as we are dealers for Elation. Let me know what we can do for you.

Kevin
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I have a quick question about sound cards. Are there specific sound cards that are compatible with or are recommended by Elation? If not, does anyone have any recommendations regarding professional sound cards?

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I am currently using what came with my system. It's just the standard 16 bit on a Toshiba laptop. I have an adaptor (several actually) that connects to the mini plug for the headphones, which is then split into left/right RCA type plugs, then adaptors to get them to 1/4 inch standard male plugs for input into the PA mixer. The sound is great! I have been considering upgrading to a 24bit card and 5.1 audio but not because of any limitations due to the 16 bit card I currently use. It only becuase of the 5.1 which is another subject altogether. Hope that helps!

Minimum System Requirements for Elation Compu Ware Program:
• Laptop or desktop computer with USB port
• Windows ME, XP or any up-to-date version
• 800x600 screen resolution
• 256Mb Memory
• Clock frequency : 800 Mhz
• a 32Mb RAM video card to use the "3D software" supporting Microsoft DirectX 9.0
Best Results
• Laptop or desktop computer with USB port
• Windows XP or any up-to-date version
• 1280x1024 screen resolution
• 512Mb Memory
• Clock frequency : 1.5 Ghz
• a 128Mb RAM video card to use the "3D software" supporting Microsoft DirectX 9.0
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Muzicman,
Thanks for the reply. I've been researching software for DMX control. So far the SFX package from Stage Research is my leading candidate. SFX recommends using a high end sound card, which seems to make sense to me. I'd definitely like to learn more about compuware and will spend some time doing research on that as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using a laptop vs. a desktop to run the software? I'd appreciate any input there.

Thanks,

Tony

www.anthonysisti.com
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1832 Posts

Tony....
SFX from Stage Research is a great product. Drew Thomas currently uses it for his show.

Their recommendations about the high end sound card is spot on. In fact you may notice that two of the sound cards they sell are external. That is the best way to go. The sound card honestly should not be near the power supply, hard drive, cd/dvd drive or anything else that moves, spins, hums or makes any type of noise.

If I am not mistaken you will still need another program or board to actually send the DMX to your fixtures.

As far as desktop vs. laptop....We looked at both. We decided that high end video and sound cards were more important that portability. Thus we had a desktop built and it is a dedicated computer that is only used for the show. We run over a gig or ram and have swappable drives..we have a cloned backup ready to go at any time.

Right now we are having the computer rack mounted and adding a 1 unit keyboard/monitor in a pull out tray. We are also upgradeding to RAID drives. We will be running two RAID drives...this way if one drive should crash the other will keep the whole system running. You would not even know that anything happened. One could go with as many drives as they wanted, but I think two would be fine.

Hope that helps.
Kevin
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Thanks, Kevin. Can you tell me what type of video and sound cards you use? I've been leaning toward a desktop machine myself. I hadn't thought about the raid drives - I'll take a look into that too. Thanks for your help.

www.anthonysisti.com
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Ok, you all have me thinking. I have a standard 16 bit sound card, and the sound tracks I use were all recorded on a 16 bit system. Would it be beneficial to me to upgrade to a 24 bit sound card? For instance, I have a 10 minute routine, all recorded using my current system (16 bit)....would I get a better sound if I played it back through a 24 bit card? Or is my playback the best it could possibly be because it's recorded in 16 bit to begin with?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » DMX Controller/DMX lights Solution (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL