The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » English restaurant magicans (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Elite user
i have nothing to say about my
455 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Hi everyone
I have never seen a magician working an English restaurant,and that is something I would love to do. If there are any English restaurant workers here, how did you go about getting your job, and what restaurants are you working at?
cheers
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
I'm not a restraunt worker but...

In nottingham there's 1 restraunt that I know of that has a magician, it's called 'Millers Barn' (it used to be called The Nottingham Knight). It's maybe a bit far north for you to pop by, but at least you know there is somewhere.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
mgical
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of mgical
For london based magic performance look here, I have never had the chance to go but would like to. I am not sure that there is table hopping in the trad sense but you could always give them a ring.

http://www.falseimpressions.com
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
I am pretty sure there aren't any magicians doing magic in restaraunts in London. I have looked in loads and asked around but seen none. Just an urban myth I guess. I heard that Michael vincent worked in TGI fridays but I don't know if that's true.

Chris
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
I'm going into london this weekend for the exact same reason. it seems an un tapped market and its worth looking into. theres so many bars and restaurants someone has got to be interested
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1654 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I have lived in London for 21 years. I eat out quite a lot in a variety of venues. I have NEVER been approached by a magician at the table, nor do I know where any perform. I have once seen a young Croatian guy busking for tips round pub tables in the west end (and he wasn't bad)and that's it.

Shame, but it's just not a common thing this side of the pond.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Toasty
View Profile
New user
Wales
36 Posts

Profile of Toasty
I don't know about magicians who work in restaurants as a job or anything, but previously it's been pretty cool just walking over to a random table, and showing a trick. You usually get a good response or a tip! I've only done it a couple of times, when I was really enthused over this one card trick, but it'd be cool to see a professional doing it. Word out.
life is magical-in one way or another...
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of Markymark
I think pub landlords on this side of the pond are just too mean!.They won't spend
money on something they don't have to. If you think I'm wrong look at what they charge for soft drinks!. Americans just understand hospitality and entertainment more.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
I really agree guys. Its a shame their isn't any close up magicians actually performing reguarly in London or anywhere in the UK for that matter. I travel quite a bit over the UK and I always ask my non magicians friends to look out for them but nothing. I see there are loads of UK magicians advertising at http://www.corporatemagicians.com but I assume they are all bedroom magicians as they don't work proffesionally...lol.

Does table hand magic even exist in the UK?

Chris
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Ooooh ouch! I get a fair bit of work out of Corporate Magicians, Duncan Trillo provides a fantastic service with his website. Oh yeah, I'm a bedroom magician too, so the wife tells me, anyway Smile
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3263 Posts

Profile of warren
You should be able to see a close up magician in just about every tgi friday's in england at the moment,they work saturday evenings usually 7pm till 10pm,i know this because I've done it myself a few times now working as a sub when the regular magician can't make it,hope this helps.
gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
I'm finding it very hard to get into a UK restaurant! No one wants me - am I that bad!!!!
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Gandalf you look magical so I am suprised you are having trouble gaining magic work. Your fan is excellent and that is what counts.

Warren I have heard about TGi's but I believe its a myth. Whereabouts do you live? Who do you cover for? I assume you are just working for tips. Can you tell me the name of a magician and a location of a TGI specifically as I would like to witness magic up close.

The UK is a magic desert.

Cheers,

Chris
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1712 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I worked TGIs in Bedford Street for about 7 years in the 90s. I also worked Old Orleans restaurants too. The only magician I know working one now is Michael Gee who is at the one on Watford Way on Saturday nights.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
What is a bedroom magician?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
I work closeup at parties and bars in London- not regular gigs, just bookings when they have special parties etc.

Am often performing at nightclubs etc for events- recently was hired to entertain closeup magic at the Gizmondo (games console) launch party at the Park Lane hotel, great fun! Can now say ive performed along side the likes of Lennox Lewis, Busta Rhymes, Pharrell Williams, Clipse, Dannii Minogue and Verne Troyer (aka Mini Me), Tom Green, Sting and Jamiroquai as they all attended the party!!! Smile

Its quite rare to have regular 'house magician' closeup gigs in the UK, most work seems to come from one-off bookings.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3263 Posts

Profile of warren
Chris,
the tgi fridays that I've personally worked at is in sutton coldfield in the west midlands,the gig isn't for tips it is a regular payed gig,the magician I cover for is alec powell although the work comes through an agency and not from tgi fridays direct,as already said if you go to a tgi fridays in the uk on a saturday evening you will see a magician at work.
circuskevin
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, UK
60 Posts

Profile of circuskevin
I was wondering who did the Sutton Coldfield TGI. Now I know!

I did the Ladybridge 'Beefeater' restaurant in Tamworth for about 18 months. That was on a rota with several other magicians. It finished about a year ago. The booking came through the agency 'Pete Corby Entertainments'.

Some of the hotels have entertainers in the restarant at busy periods eg xmas. Hilton and Forte-posthouse are a couple I've worked at a few years ago. As with anything you have to go out and get the work. Ring your local entertainment agents and let them know you want the bookings. Visit restaurants, impress the manager and leave your card.

Bear in mind it's often the children the management want to see you keep amused.

Kevin
mowog
View Profile
New user
Wales, UK
12 Posts

Profile of mowog
There was a national contract running with TGI Fridays in 2004 through Starfish Entertainments in the UK. It seems that not all the Fridays restaurants have carried forward into 2005. I share the Cardiff TGI work on Saturdays with another magician.

Agree - you don't see much restaurant magic in the UK. I would really like to secure several residencies but it is difficult to sell.

Darren
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi
I also work restaurants in London - Have done for about 4 years now.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » English restaurant magicans (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL