The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Magic Inc. cups for $45?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
While browsing eBay I found a source for cups that might be helpful to those looking for a good set of cups that won't break your wallet. The link below will take you to a site that sells the Magic Inc. cups that Penguin Magic sells for only $45.

While these are not the best cups on the market, for the money IMO you CAN'T go wrong. The cups are available in both Brass and Copper.

http://www.magicforless.com/

Note: I’m NOT affiliated with this individual in any way, but thought that those who don't have the money for an expensive set of cups would like to know about the source.

MM

I also found a set of brass cups on eBay (Item number: 6520916667).
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
They don't have any cups listed on their web site. However, the Penguin Cups and the Brass "Collectors Cups" are NOT by Magic, Inc. They are by Magic Makers, Inc.

Magic Inc. makes the Laurie Ireland Cups, which are a completely different cup.

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Not only is Bill right (he usually is), but the site carries much of the MM line, some of which are known to be unauthorized copies. I really like the "Time Machine" which they say retails for $99.00 They sell it for $99.95! What a bargain!

BUYER BEWARE
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have the Ireland Cups and they are beauties... Classic shape, well spun, nice weight... you don't need much better!
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Bill,
I was incorrect with the maker's name, thanks for the correct info. The site does have the cups. I'd just send them an email if you don't see a link.

The eBay item 6520916667 is being sold by magic4less.com.

$45 is a good buy for the cups. I was unaware about the MM line being knock-offs. I was just watching for a "good deal" on eBay.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is not one original trick in the MM line. They have copied the Paul Fox cups, the Watch and Wear from Bazar -- even down to getting the same company in China to make them, the Badlands Bob from Viking, Vanishing Lifesavers from Viking, spirit key from Viking and the list goes on.

The trouble with their stuff is that there is no real quality control. One set of cups will be fine. The next set will wobble like there is no tomorrow. One set will be sparkly clean. The next will take 15 minutes of scrubbing to get all the residue off of them.

Their vanishing candy trick -- half the time, the gimmick is so loose it falls out. And "Lifesavors" -- give me a break!

Put those next to your Polex watch, your Guggi handbag and your Mel Blanc pen.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I think that I'll be sending you a PM asking for recommendations before I jump on a set of cups from eBay. Guess sometimes a "good deal" can cost more in the end.

Speaking of cups, any updates on the Milt Kort cups that are on your site?

MM
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Not exactly. Something is in the works, but I can't reveal the exciting ending.

One thing I have to say about the Penguin/MM cups. Once in a while you get a really nice set. But I had seven sets that were sent to me from MM. Out of those, 5 needed major cleaning and one was returned to me because of excessive wobble. It also had a defective lip. I found someone who wanted a set very badly and made him a deal on them.

If they are selling these cups for $45, then they are either selling them for wholesale (or less! -- I heard they had gone up) or they bought a huge order of them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
"Mel Blanc pen." LOL!

Too bad Mel never received a special Oscar for his work. He certainly deserved it - one of the greatest voice workers who ever lived. (Off topic, I know, but there is a special place in my heart for Mel Blanc).

Mark Hall
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Mel did win one award. He is in the Guiness book as the actor who appeared in more films than anyone else.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
These are typically sold on ebay for this. I even own a set and they aren't bad. But I don't like supporting MM. For the same price, you can get what I think are better cups from Bazar de Magia which I think are heavier and hold a slightly larger load.

You say they are selling the copper version. I was under the impression those were made exclusively for Penguin, who overcharges 99 dollars for them.
Chris
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
They are also sold through other outlets. Calmagic has them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
My first set of cups were from Magic Inc. The Charlie Miller cups which were copied from the Bertram cups and copied by the Phoenix cups. I believe I paid around $50 for them. Very sturdy cups, but I'm much more fond of the Paul Fox style used by Johnson, Sherwood etc. I've been debating selling them for a year or so. If I keep 'em, it's only for sentimental reasons, since it was my first set. If I do sell, what would be a fair price Bill?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Johnson cups do not have as much attic space as the Paul Fox cups. The Sherwoods have much more attic space. I don't think you can categorize them as Paul Fox style cups, other than having a rounded top. I'll PM a value to you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Sorry, but I'm a little confused. Where would be the best place to purchase cups (at a reasonable price)?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Bill Palmer won't tell you because he is an ethical man but the Ireland cups can be had from his web site. They are a very reasonable price and are very nice cups. I have a set and like them a lot.

He also has some others for sale there. I would trust anything that he sells. He is an honorable man and wouldn't cheat you.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Rik:

Thanks for your kind words and understanding. I don't plug my retail web site on the Café, because I haven't paid for a banner ad. I do plug the cups and balls museum, because it is not a commercial site.

Any criticism I have of any products on the market is based solely upon my personal experience with the product in question. There are lots of good cups available. I just wanted to have a set that is reasonably priced for the intermediate to professional performer. I would actually use these cups in a show.

There is a set of them on Ebay right now. Just do a search on Adesso Verlag, and it will come up. I'm kind of irritated at the lister, because he lifted the photos of the wand and cups right off my web site, without asking permission. I re-wrote the text for him and hope that he will put it up soon.

But it's a good chance to get a nice package of cups and a wand fairly cheaply.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

saheer
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of saheer
I'd just like to add that Bill Palmer's cups also come with a wand, mat, balls, load balls and a booklet. http://www.adessoverlag.com/cupsandballs.htm

Magicinc.net has the new and old Ireland cups for sale as well but you don't get the extras.

Unfortunately, I think Magic Inc. sold out of the Ross Bertram knock-offs at least a year or two ago (don't know for sure) after carrying them for ages. Though those cups were sturdy things, they really didn't have much of an attic. However, you could bang on 'em pretty hard and not worry as much about a spectator dropping them. Since you couldn't really use the attic, they didn't need to nest all that well anyway!

But now I'm blathering. . . .
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Magic, Inc. Miller cups come up now and again on eBay. The Bertram cups are historically significant, because they were the first really heavy cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Quote:
On 2005-03-28 15:35, Bill Palmer wrote:
I don't plug my retail web site on the Café, because I haven't paid for a banner ad.

...and this, ladies and gentlemen, is what I mean by ethics. Whenever I have an ethical question I turn to Bill and am always given an answer that I can trust. His long experience has made him a font of knowledge on the right thing to do. I've avoided several questionable acts by carefully following his advice.

As for his Ireland cups - No, they aren't Sherwoods, they aren't the best that you can get by any means. They are good though. Not only would I use them in a show but I have. For the money they are great. Professional quality at a fraction of comparable cups.

As for the Magic Makers cups, I bought a set from Penguin a couple of years ago. I was one of the lucky ones and my set is very nice, but I've heard horror stories and even mine took a lot of work to get to look nice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Magic Inc. cups for $45?! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL