The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Library rates (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
I am curious, what do you guys charge for library shows? I will be performing at some for the very first time and I'd like to compare what you guys charge to what I am charging. I have worked similar venues but never an acual library -- something new!
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
In the past I've done free library shows. While this may seem unproductive, it actually gives me that chance to get free publicity, give out tons of cards, talk with tons of kids, etc. After you've done free shows for a while and you have polished your shows, you can start to charge a bit. If you're good, the library won't mind bringing you back. Then, you can start to charge for specialty shows such as a summer kick-off reading program, a halloween show, etc. The way to begin library shows, I believe, is offering your services for free. If you're good, they'll invite you back again and again, and that's when you can charge. When I charge for a library show, it's usually less than my birthday show because I know I'm getting tons of free publicity.
Best of luck!
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
A general rule of thumb is that libraies can pay about double what you would get for a birthday party show in your area. A library show in upstate New York generally brings in $200-$300. The most I've ever received was $600 in Smithtown, Long Island, and it was a long drive.

Last year a local librarian called and asked me to recommend someone who could perform for her summer reading program. I used to perform at her library many years earlier, but she knew I wasn't working libraries any longer. When I stopped working libraries, I had recommended another performer.

"Unfortunately," she said, "he told me this year that he has gotten too big to do libraries any longer."

"What's the date?" I asked.

"July 14th."

I looked on my calendar and saw that it was available.

"I'll for it for you." I said.

"Goodness, I can't afford your show," she exclaimed.

"I'm not doing it for the money," I explained. "You gave me work every year when I was just starting out. The least I can do it to repay the favor. Just pay me whatever you had budgeted for the show."

I had a great time doing the show and afterwards she handed me a check for $250. She told me that when the other librarians learned that she had booked me they all wanted to know how she was able to get me to come.

"I just asked!" she answered.

You can find out what libraries can afford for a show by asking what their budget allows. Often special events and programs at libraries are funded by a grant from a local arts council or business. The amount can vary depending upon how much grant money they were able to raise.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Some great advice from Jim...I'm starting to do some Library shows and found this info very useful
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Hi,
I have performed at my local library for 3 years now for the Vacation Reading Program. I started out that first year charging $50 for my hometown library and $75 for out of town libraries. The next year I charged $100 for all the libraries, which included the ones from the previous year plus a few more.

This year I did not raise my price for the eight or so libraries that helped me get started, but I did ask them to let me put them on my website as referrals. They were more than happy with that arrangement and have helped to double my libraries for this summer. I am charging the new libraries an average of $200 per show, although some of the smaller ones are $150 and a few of the ones farther away are $250.

As Jim said, be nice to those libraries that helped you get started and it will help you out big time with getting more bookings from others-they do talk to each other. I also arranged to sell BOR items (Jim's suggested 102 books) which will also increase my profit. Library shows are great and can be a nice bit of income-just ask Ken Scott.

Have a nice day,
Chad
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Yes libraries can be a great income it is a huge part of income for May June July. I have 95 library shows this summer. Fee cans vary. But I am getting on average 300.00 per show some more some less. I also if I can so ALOT of BOR in the library shows.

It is true I do pick a lot of birthday shows from it however I do the entire state of GA and I am only going to do BD in Atlanta.

As someone mentioned do have a polished act before you go in there. A bad ACT can hurt all of us. Librarians talk a lot amongst one another. Sad thing is if there is a BAD act out there that word get out more than the good ones. As for doing them for FREE I guess since I make a fulltime living doing magic and libraries being one of my places I do that I don't like to see guys doing free shows. But someone mentioned you have to practice.

Enjoy
Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Library rates (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL