The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mentalism?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about getting into mentalism and was wondering which would be a good place to start? I'm considering several effects and was wondering if anyone can recommend one over the other? The effects I'm considering are, My Word by Dan Harlan, BIP Book 2.0, or Fifty-Two Thoughts by Cody Fisher. Anyone got any suggestions or other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Todd
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Do you do any card tricks? But what I am really asking is are you familiar with cards? Cause Out of Sight Out of Mind isn't presented as a card tirck but as a feat of mind reading which just happends to use cards.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Start with Annemann's Practical Mental Magic and Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism.

:cucumber:
Philip Chau
View Profile
Regular user
Macau
124 Posts

Profile of Philip Chau
Hi

I currently just started mentalism too!
I would think that it's better to go with books or DVDs, and not just single tricks.
The forums here definitely help a lot!
Books above are really good. For DVDs, I suggest ones from Banachek, Richard Osterlind, Max Maven, Bob Cassidy, etc

Philip
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Mentalism is EASY TO PERFORM badly!!!!!!!!! One needs to be a consumate performer and an excellent actor in order to perform mentalism well PLUS the thinking behind mentalism is NOT the same as that of a magician. Techniques also need to be learned and rehearsed so well that NO thinking needs to take place for them (such as proper peek techniques) as there is NO ROOM for error with those or what you are doing becomes nothing but another TRICK.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
liam-j-gilbert
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
121 Posts

Profile of liam-j-gilbert
You are correct 'thoughtreader'. Mentalism is difficult to perform well and easy to perform badly - but it is also very enjoyable to perform, and very rewarding IF you are willing to put in the effort to learn the techniques used by mentalists to there fullest.

I feel that your best option when beginning in mentalism is to read, read, and read some more. Attempt to gain as wide a scope as possible on the mentalism world. Corinda's 13 steps, Peek Performances and Peek encores, Luke Jermay's building blocks and 7 deceptions, Banachek's Psychological Subtelties.

The key to effective mentalism is to be willing to learn some theoretical techniques aswell as some astounding tricks. Once you have learnt to combine the two, then you have learned to amaze and to touch your audience.

I hope this helps in some way.

Liam
www.liamgilbert.co.uk -- for info, booking or queries on Liam Gilbert
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Okay, how about I put it this way. I'm thinking about purchasing the effects that I've listed but which of the three would be easiest to perform yet still pack a punch?
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Wulfie66,
You will hear many opinions concerning mentalism.
The way that I started was through magic.
I used the card tricks and other tricks that I knew and started thinking about how I could turn them into mental effects.
I think that if I had not had a good foundation in magic, doing good mentalism would have taken me much longer.
At the same time, I think that it was very difficult for me to change some of my magical thinking to mental thinking.
If I can be of help, please PM me.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
I got the annemans practical mental magic but I found out that some of the tricks are advanced..but there are loads of tricks there and many are easy..the only thing I like about mentalism is when the trick doesn't work I just blame the spectator of not concentrating too hard or my mind is too tired. so I think its good for begginers.
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Sorry Jack, but I humbly disagree.
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
203 Posts

Profile of Ronin
Quote:
On 2005-03-27 22:42, wulfie66 wrote:
Okay, how about I put it this way. I'm thinking about purchasing the effects that I've listed but which of the three would be easiest to perform yet still pack a punch?

Wulfie--

If you haven't already done so, your best bet to getting an answer to THIS question seems to be to go do a Café search in the mentalism section on these effects. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with them, but good luck finding your answer.

Like everyone else here, I'll throw in my two cents about the wanting to "start out in mentalism" part of your original post. It's all about presentation. Many mentalism effects are easy in terms of method, but it's the presentation that makes them "still pack a punch."

I spent much of the past year experimenting with mentalism, and have put it aside--I found that my interest is more in magic presentation, than mentalism presentation. But I developed a great deal of respect for the mentalist.

I thought "13 Steps to Mentalism" was indispensable. Two books that offer some excellent models of interesting presentation are Barrie Richardson's "Theater of the Mind" and Max Maven's recent "Prism".
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Jack, I couldn't disagree more. I think this is an ignorant view of mentalism. I think the art deserves more respect than simply being used as an 'out', and I certainly would not just insult the spectator in such a way.
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mentalism?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL