The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Suticase Table / Setup Time Problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I have used the Joe Lefer suticase for years now and love it. There is only one problem with it however. Once you get to the show and set the table up, all of your props are just sitting there and you then have to sort them out and set the show up. The same thing when you are done.

I am looking for the same idea but instead a table that actually has cubby holes that you can put a trick in. This way when you arrive you REALLY ARE ready to go. Also, when you get done with an effect, you simply put it back in it's space for the next show. This is the only thing I don't like about the standard suitcase tabel- after a trick you have all of this stuff sitting there that you now have to spend time repacking in nice and neat so that you can get out.

Does anyone out there have or know where I can get a suitcase with cubby holes?
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Build you own! It's easy to make cubby hole inserts that fit right into you pro case. That way you can make them custom-fit to you props. Plus sometimes when you do a big show, you may want to remove them, so I would advise against any permanent cubby holes.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I have though of this already! The problem is that some of my props are rather bulky and long.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
If you have bulky props, then you'll have problems with any case, even if you buy one with cubby holes. I don't understand your problem. Buying cubby holes instead of building them won't solve the problem of bulky props. What are you looking for? Your question asks "Does anyone out there have or know where I can get a suitcase with cubby holes?" If your props won't fit in cubby holes, it might be best to go with a trunk or something larger, especially if you have the small suitcase table. You could always get a larger suitcase table, but that might be more than you want to spend.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Dear WiseOne....

The problem is this....

I have the large suitcase table which is great. The problem is that it only has 2 shelves which means you have to pile stuff on top of each other. Once you get to a show you have to sort everything out which takes time. I though if you had something that each prop had it's dedicated space to this would solve the problem.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13387 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Options:
Get a case-on-wheels and put dividers in it. Open it up and you're ready to go.
Something like Jeff McBride discusses on his fantaistic must-have Stage Magic #1 DVD. I've seen cases meant for "scrapbooking" that are large, wheeled, lots of dividers and pockets and go from $70-$100. Almost bought one on saturday.
But then you'd have the suitcase table and one more case. Not necessarily bad. Especially if you have a large show.

I usually just use my suitcase table (small lefler) and I have my props lined
up on the middle shelf. I have a tupperware of accessories, and a cardboard box of decks, coin purse, silks, etc. on the top. I have my cups,hat,pouch in the bottom. The first couple of things I have on my person when I arrive.

Consider using tupperware to hold things too. The taller, and longer ones could be put on their side and stuffed into the shelves in a semi-permanenant fashion. Take the lids off when you get there, and you're ready.

Hmm....I might do this myself.
I've been using a 3" mailing tube to hold my spongeballs, tt, purse frame, and squeekers. But I think I'm off to the 99 cent store for plastic-ware.....
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Todd,
thanks for the clarification. I understand the problem now. I have two ideas. one would be to use Tupperware, like Frank suggested. In my trunk right now I have supperware drawers that hold things just great. If you'd like, I can take a picture tonight and send it to you. the other thing I've seen done is an insert made of cardboard or very soft wood and it was held together with ducktape. It actually worked very well, even though it sounds cheap. It provided protection for the props and divided the shelves into little compartments.
One nice thing about the plastic drawers is that they provide instant access. For example, I do a vanishing Ketchup bottle trick at my birthday shows. As soon as that's done, I slide open the drawer, place the gimmick in there, and grab my next prop.
I hope this helps!
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
DearWiseOne...

Send me a picture please! You have my curiosity going now.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22443 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Adding drawers would of course add to the weight of the suitcase table. Most tables of this nature have movable shelves. If yours does, just add additional shelves. But edges on them, so things don't roll off. Line with felt so props don't get scratched.

You could just use a roll on table, they usually have 3 shelves, just add more and remove each shelf and place on the table top for performance, then when complete, return it to the proper shelf and remove the next. This type of table usually fold flat, but you could have one that does not, and just put a sliding panel on the rear of the table. The limits are how high your props are. The taller they are the less shelves you can use.

On the late Don Lawton tape, he used a box on a single leg. It had a drop down cover at the back, held by a chain, like a draw bride. He then had trays that were brought up to the table top for each routine.

It is hard to tackle a question like this as many performer use different props. Maybe if you list the tricks by name, we can suggest something further.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13387 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I bought the tupperware-esuqe containers and I was able to shove 3 of them into the small lefler table shelf perfectly. I feel more organized already.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I had decided to keep my Lefler table afterall. I was going to have one custom made and found something very interesting at Home depot. It is a portable workstation that is perfect for what I need. Yes, it means that I now have 2 tables to bring in but it is a real time saver. I will try to find a link to it so that you all may check it out. I think you will be impressed!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Suticase Table / Setup Time Problem (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL