The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » College - Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicguy45
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of magicguy45
I have college already paid for and there is no way of not going. What should I study as a career because I have got no idea what to do. I'm lost, although I wish I could just take magic courses (hah hah hah). Can anyone help me out?
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Acting, buisness, or whatever floats your boat...

I think it's sad you get to go to College when so many want to and cannot...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The first two years of college are a great time to explore. Meet the students and see how things go. The basics, like reading, reasoning and rhetoric are useful wherever you go (those are the three r's btw )

Enjoy exploring and watch out for distractions.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
I suggest you may want to look into acting or maybe speech and drama. Psychology is exceptionally interesting, plus with these subjects at hand, you can apply them (or aspects of) to your magic!

Good luck!

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
We can't really tell you what to study, we don't even know you, it needs to be something you enjoy and it helps if you are good at it, this is you're future we're talking about, if you're seriously thinking of magic as a career, then you also need a 'safety net' just incase it all doesn't work out

Think about it

Tom
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
I strongly suggest you take a liberal helping of all different subjects as you knock out your core classes in the first two years.

Psychology is always good to take. Beyond the introductory level, courses in behavior analysis and even abnormal psychology can be beneficial later in life. Same for economics and sociology.

Math is a must and most people don't like it but the more math you have the better off you'll be in the long run.

IT jobs are always fluctuating on the market. Still one good solid cycle of at least one programming language will help later in life.

What (beyond magic) do you enjoy doing?
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Get ready for the third best ride of your life!
(marriage and children being second and first respectively, at least according to me.)

Jonathan Townsend and mentalvic give very good advice. Don't limit yourself at this point by omitting core classes. Most colleges have a basic freshman program that prepares the student for just about any career. Depending on what major you choose, you might have required courses as early as the sophomore year, but usually there's a lot of latitude until you are a junior.

Also, while job demand does matter, you should like what you end up doing. Money is not a substitute for time. Of course being unemployed leaves you plenty of time and it’s hard to survive without money. But, in general, a college education will make it much easier to get a good job.

Do take the time and evaluate your options. Write down career choices on a piece of paper and, over the next year or two, eliminate the one’s that don’t fit you. Also, if you decide to settle on a career, it’s good to talk to someone who’s already working in that field. My sister dropped pursuing a particular career when she found out that everyone starting out in that field worked 70 to 90 hour weeks for many years. She didn’t want that (nor would I).

And finally, take heed at Jonathan’s warning regarding distractions. Write down a schedule and stick to it, at least most of the time. Writing a schedule down in advance makes it easier to avoid tempting distractions later. It also provides a way to occasionally give into distractions, because you can shuffle time slots if you’ve planned ahead. Otherwise, without doing this, required work can fall by the wayside. I believe that most people who flunk out of college do so because they failed to plan their time.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I am 15, so I have ZERO experience, but, I would just take the courses that look interesting, maybe 2 or 3 classes that seem really interesting, and one requirement. I dunn know, lol.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
College has requirements about grades and credits per term. When you attend full time, you are on a schedule. And the presence of distractions including drinking, drugs, mob behavior, politics, sexual experimentation... can hinder the rest of your formal education.

There is a wide and wonderful world of ideas to explore and it's useful to get some exposure to as much as you can while you have easy access.

Bit of advidce: If you are going to study psychology, get your own issues out of the way first. Don't have to resolve any issues, just accept that you have them. Then you can enjoy the show. DSM IV as improv material can be great fun.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
From your post it almost seems as though you're being forced to go to college. It also seems that your only concern is magic. So my advice would be to take business and/or marketing course...in the long run this could help out a lot if you choose to make magic a full time job.

Mike
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It really depends.

My one daughter took up Accounting because there was a demand for that type of work at the time. She has done very well over the past few years and makes good money. It's not that she likes it but it's good pay.

Others take courses that they enjoy. These people are not money oriented but would rather try and make a living doing something enjoyable. Artists, writers, actors, etc. Some end up making good money while others may be content with just doing something enjoyable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » College - Magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL