The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "woah! hold on, let me get my friends! do that again!" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

krist0pher
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of krist0pher
Ok, I'm more than sure we've all been faced with this..heh.

You're performing a sleight a single person, and the reaction causes them to fetch a bunch of their friends,...next thing you know you've got 10 or 12 people encircling you waiting to see you do a repeat of the 2CM you just pulled off.

Should you do it again?

Personally, I don't like re-doing tricks. I think it takes away from the performance, and the theatrics of it all.

What are some of the things you all have done to deal with this issue?
Kristopher Scofield

Myspace.com/imkrisscofield
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well never repeat a trick. WHy? Well the person may catch on to what you are doing. And you don't want to be known as a one trick pony. And never do a trick upon request. Have a back up ready like Daily's Last Trick or something.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Just do another one
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
All the talk they say about never doing a trick more then once isn't always accurate. Sometimes a trick can be stronger the second time because now they are watching for it. If they still can't figure it out or see anything that would expose anything then it can actually be stronger to them then the first time.

The trick is to know what tricks and moves can be repeated. In card magic a double lift can be done over and over if the move is done well. in fact when I do an ambitious card routine I tell them I'm going To do it again very slowly and, "I want you to watch very closely and tell me if you see anything suspicious." Now they are really burning my hands and they still don't see how it's done.

On the other hand if they ask to repeat a trick that isn't the type of thing that should be repeated. Do a variation of the effect but one that is different in sleights and outcome. For example let's say you caused a card to appear in your pocket (simple enough) they wanna see it again. This time have an extra card already in your pocket before you start. Have them select another card. Pull the card out of your pocket. Place it on top of the deck and double lift. The effect is the same but this time you didn't palm anything.

That's just one example of a repeat that looks the same but has a different method. Or you could go a different route and make it appear in a bottle or something like that. The effect will look the same until the end so the person who asked you to repeat will think you're going to do the same trick. But the outcome not only fools your new spectators but also the one who asked you to do it again.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I think by using misdirection ( talking and engaging the audience ) and using very good technique, you can repeat effetcs. Look at Doc Eason with card under drink.
~Joe
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
As Jaxon has mentioned, sometimes letting them see it a second time will make it even more amzaing. Take Leaving Home by Jay Sankey, for instance. I tell them the trick is done by me secretly ripping the key off, and holding the gap made by the string. Then, when I show them that it isn't ripped at all, it gets even bigger reactions!

You should always have a backup trick ready, even if it is just a double lift or a pass. This way you can just say 'But this is even better!' and move on. Smile Hope this helped.

Adam
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Jaxon said:
All the talk they say about never doing a trick more then once isn't always accurate. Sometimes a trick can be stronger the second time because now they are watching for it.

It all depends on the situation. If you have the feeling that they want to see the effect, and not only the move, then you can repeat it.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
ToPher
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere
120 Posts

Profile of ToPher
I Only perform 3 effects than stop an let them beg for more.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
If you can repeat the same effect with a different methodology ur always safe. I've done that a number of times when requested to repeat an effect. It is the effect that blew them away, not the method. Many effects can be accomplished by more than one method. If possible learn different methods of achieving the same effect, so when put in a position like that, it is no problem.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Jluvlace
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Jluvlace
I always run into that kind of response, and I've learned to not give in to the pressure. NEVER repeat a trick unless it is with an entirely different audience. I've had a lot of effects exposed this way.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Well, I always keep several tricks on me. Most of them can be repeated. Sponge balls are a staple, so easy to carry. I always carry my chop cup, it's a mini so no problem there. I can repeat the chop cup all day long and unless they are lying on the floor they'll never catch it. My ITR is always in my jacket. That's enough for a short show. I often carry my 5" rings as well and usually a small pocket trick or two.

Do it again? Maybe. Maybe I'll just say, "Nah, I'm bored with that, watch this instead."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "woah! hold on, let me get my friends! do that again!" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL