The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Website Video Feedback (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Hi..

I just got a professional video camera and went out with a friend of mine for 2 weeks, to gigs I had booked and just fooling around in the streets and bars.. the result is 2 videos I havent really seen (concept wise) before.. I don't think they are effective selling tools for potential clients.. But I still love them.. I'd like some feedback on them.. what do you think?? Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks much

http://www.ericleclerc.com/video_e.html
Pants99
View Profile
Loyal user
El Paso, TX
230 Posts

Profile of Pants99
Hey Eric, Alls I got to say is man good job!!! You look like you're having fun and so do your specs!!! If you ask me, I'd say the vid would sell you very well!!! I love the bottle cap in a bottle effect!!! I'm still in the process of scoping out yer site, so if you got a vid explaining some of yer routines I'd gladly take a copy!!! Hope this helps!!! Take care and keep up the awsome work- yer doin' great!!!

Pants~!~
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Nice videos man. Great work. I agree with the post above as well. You and your spectators look to be having much fun.

Kepp
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.... I am still not convonced that its a powerful selling tool.. It looks kinda amateurish even though the magic is decent... What about the hip hop accompanying it?? too much?
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
559 Posts

Profile of Nick23
The content and style is good, I'm just not sure about the choice of music. Normally for showreels of any type (im a animator so I know a bit about it) its normally best not to have music with singing. Funky chillout normally goes quite well, also try not to pick something many people will instantly recognise.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Pants99
View Profile
Loyal user
El Paso, TX
230 Posts

Profile of Pants99
Well, I personally can't stand the cleche funk style music- so it's good to hear something different. However, I'm not too fond of rap music either, so I'd suggest maybe the music without the vocals??? I dunno- good demo though!!!
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
559 Posts

Profile of Nick23
Chillout more than funk... I only say "funky" just so its not the really slow kind of chillout. Of course, you probably wont find music that everyone likes, so ultimately whatever you use, its going to be your call.
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7424 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Eric -

Who would be your type of potential customer? Think about who you have worked for, not the audience, but the customer who handed you the cash.

What elements might they be looking for? What results do they want from having your show? Can you show this on your promo video?

Are they looking for someone who does close-up in cars, or something on stage, or something at bars?

Would they listen to this type of music, or would it turn them off?

Remember, when David Blaine or other performers make a TV special, they have a different end goal in mind, than if they made a promo video. Your goals might have been a little unclear with what you made... it seems you were trying to be cool, or do street-style magic for a TV special, rather than showing customers how you can help them solve their problems. This might be different if this were a video with you auditioning for a reality show.

You look like you have many different personas, depending upon the audience. Different performer when doing a kids show, as opposed to an adult show, as opposed to a strolling show. You could consider making one promo video for each type of persona (show) to let the appropriate "you" be shown. I found the videos seems to clash with the classiness of the rest of your website.

Let me absolutely clear about this. It's not that the magic is bad. Its the "purpose" of the videos that leaves me unclear, which is something you already hinted at. Its like filming a movie without a script.

Try honestly to see things from the customer's point of view, then work from there. I hope that this helps you.

- Donald

P.S. In my personal opinion, the music turned me off, so did not hearing people react to the magic. I also thought that the zombie was too redundant on the one video... remember you wouldn't repeat it in a show (for a few reasons), so it might be a poor idea on video. Also, it looked like you were a mean practical joker with the scene where you shot the flame at the waitress using the microwave... that might turn some potential customers off as unprofessional behavior, especially if you are going after cruise ships and such.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Thanks for the feedback!!

This is exactly why I posted all this in the first place..I know the videos don't really show what I can do for potential clients and is more of a casusl laid back approach. I was literrally fooling around Ottawa for a week and filming it.

Now to post them on the website, may have been a bad call but I really wanted to do something different and I think I did that with the hip hop and the unusual setting and tricks..

This is by no means a promo video, its just to showcase what I can do and how people react to it. I DO think some of the stuff in there is pointless, but fun at the same time. But you are totally right when you say it wont get me any gigs just by watching the video. I think they are fun videos to watch.

The one I am working on now will be the traditional promo video with all the stage shots and trade show settings that WILL show to my clients what I can do for them..

But I certainly don't think they hurt me as a magician.... Thanks for the feedback..let's hear more!!
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
I was going to mention it the other day Eric, if your trying to do some big name show and client I would change the rap music to something a little lighter. Those songs are great if your showing friends/family ect, but if you say get a job from a huge company like sony for exmp. They may get pushed away by the music and not hire you which is just lost money you could have had but now don't over something that shouldnt really matter. I don't say you should make it some classical or nothing on that lines, just tone it down a little. At least it wasnt talking about smoking blunts, drinking 40's and smacking ho's

Hahaha, you know how some of the rap music is. At least you chose something decent and not harsh.

Kudo's to you my friend. Still nice demo never the less. You could always make a new demo video consisting of only your shows and keep those on your site as just extra silly stuff.

Kepp
www.chriskeppel.com
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
That's the idea.... would I even WANT to keep those videos on my site when I produce my professional promo vid?? I think the clash would be too big,,

and you are right.. it was mild enough hip hop.. no swearring and no blunts...
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7424 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Another question for you Eric. Have you arranged for payment of royalty fees, to use the music on your site (SOCAN in Canada)? Just don't want you getting into trouble, if you don't need to.

- Donald
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I have not.... These guys are underground, and I think the publicity would flatter them more than anything...But you are right, I really should have paid my royalties...
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Do you know how much is costs on average?
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
Put it this way. I was making a street racing dvd about a year ago. I still may put it out. Me and a friend were putting it together to be sold nation wide. I had it all set up and some of the songs we used just killed us with the manufactures. It would have been sold at places like Best Buy, Circuit City, Maybe even Wall Mart, stores along them lines. I got in touch with a distributer that contacted one of the bands that we used there songs. The record label wanted 10 grand to play up to 45 seconds of there song. Keep in mind this wasnt even a huge band. They were big but not super big. Still wanted the high. When we turned down the offer to pay that much the said they were going to keep a sharp eye out for a dvd of that nature to hit stores and would file a major copywrite lawsuit against us if we went ahead and used it. I would just be carfull. I would contact that band, ask what they think, if they say its cool make sure you get a legal paper stating that its ok to use it. don't just take a yes because stuff can always come back.

Hope this helps
www.chriskeppel.com
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I am saying.. If ever I get a problem with it, it takes 20 seconds to take off my site.. you know?? I don't know if I want to go out and email them and say "check out my site I used your music" and point them directly to the source..

To tell you the truth I am thinking of changing the songs.. From the feedback I have heard..not just magicians....
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7424 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2005-04-01 20:31, Eric Leclerc wrote:
Do you know how much is costs on average?

Hi again Eric -

About paying royalties. You can do your homework by checking on this site: http://www.socan.ca/

(I am suggesting SOCAN because you are a fellow Canadian. There are two different organizations to deal with if you are an American. I think ASCAP and BMI. This is explained quite well in "The Professional Amateur", by magician / illusionist Toby Travis.)

I think that SOCAN charges a fee of $35 for using music in a live show (comedy or magic show, where the music is not the main focus), per show, but that might be older information.

I don't know the cost for using it on a website, or on a promotional video. It will most likely be a different amount, like a one time fee, or a fee per use.

There are lots of threads touching on the topic of music royalties in the FX area of the Café, I think.

- Donald

P.S. Please note, I am not legally accountable for any of this advice, and neither is The Magic Café. I understand that the fines are pretty steep if you get caught. You will need to do your own research here. Thanks. Smile
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
559 Posts

Profile of Nick23
There are probably a lot of bands who don't have record contracts that would give you permission to use their music for free, just to get the exposure and some free advertising.

Royalty free music is another way to go. You normally pay slightly more for the CD but then you are free to use the music for whatever you want.
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Your choice of music limits your audience.
Dennis Michael
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
limits?? do you think it affects what people will think of the magic they see?? I don't see how if I played rock, (which a lot of magicians do) would limit my audience. Just because its hip hop (no swearring) and is relatively unknown and unappreciated by "older" generations.

So if I change the music, you guys think no words is best for this type of thing?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Website Video Feedback (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL