The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Is a flash effect acceptable? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
This is different than my other post re: fire effects at a childs party. But what are your thoughts on flash paper into silk production.?
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Some people will disagree but I'm in favour of it...you may wish to consider asking the opinion of the person who's booking you...the usual reaction I've had is no problem and thanks for asking...you're a magician and flash and pizzaz are part of the package...no right or wrong answer here just a personal preference...kind of like the line you draw in terms of humour that uses farts and so on...you make the call
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
If the people hired you, they trust you..You are a PRO...(or so they think) I doubt any customer would be upset you did ANY KIND (within reason) of a fire trick... You are a magician... Its what we do, in their heads, you couldn't of produced that silk without the fire... you know??
magicalmischief
View Profile
Loyal user
Massachusetts
239 Posts

Profile of magicalmischief
Thanks for the opinions. Now...anyone know of a good silk flash appearance...LOL
Seems to me that death is just natures way of telling us to SLOW DOWN!
The Bonnie Kids
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden (Västerås)
267 Posts

Profile of The Bonnie Kids
I also perform flash cotton into silk at kids shows. I started recently just to try and it worked fine. They are really amazed.
I also had some doubts regarding "fire at kids show". But I tried because the effect is very good. I don't think it's bad. I also don't think I should warn the kids "..don't play with fire! Only magicians can!" It looks like an invitation in doing it.
I do not perform any "eating" tricks (I don't eat coins etc..), any "rope tricks around the nack etc:", I am very very carefull with balloons if they blow up etc, but I think I will keep performing the "rope in the silk".
I agree with Smartini. It is difficult to set the borders. it's up to you, it depends on how you show thibgs and on how you tell them.
/Andrea
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hello magicalmischief,

I used to do a dove pan with fire in my kids act and plenty of other fire effects in my other acts. These included flash paper and flash powder effects in my stage and club act as well as the Flaming Match for walk around and restaurant shows. It is not a question now whether or not it is appropriate for me. It is my liabilty insurance policy that dictates what I can and cannot do.

Here in Canada, we do not qualify for the magician's liability insurance offered by the IBM. We have to seek our own coverage elsewhere and it can be difficult and expensive to find. I pay $1000 Canadian per year. The only way I could even get this was to have a clause that prohibits the use of any and all fire, inluding flash paper etc... in my act.

If this is not an issue for you (the insurance) then try a finger fl***** with fl*** cotton that has a rolled and weighted pa**ed silk attached. Flash, release, voila. The neat thing is when you remove the silk, the fl***** is attached and goes with it and you are clean. I'll PM you another method to produce 2 silks that is very visual as well.

Enjoy,

Rob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Is a flash effect acceptable? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL