The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Consumer Behavior of Magicians ... 10 Questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a favor from all of you. My name is Stephen Loureiro and I am currently a Junior at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island. I am taking a Consumer Behavior class and we get to choose a topic for our final project. I decided to survey as many magicians as I know and develop some results based on their input. I have already spent a couple of days at Hank Lee's in Boston and Diamonds Magic in Peabody, MA interviewing some magicians. I would like your help. If any of you can please take 10 minutes of your time and answer the following questions as thoroughly as possible. I would greatly appreciate it.

If typing out the answers seems daunting to any of you and you live in the RI or MA area please email and I would be thrilled to ask the questions via telephone (it would take no longer than 15 minutes). I just want to thank everyone in advance for helping me with this project and I will be sure to post the results of my study and the grade I receive on the project as soon as possible.... and remember...please expand as much as possible on the answers. One-word answers have little value in a study like this.

1) When did you get started in magic and tell me about your first magical experience?

2) Currently, how are you involved in magic (professional, semi-professional, hobbyist) and what clubs/organizations are you a part of (Society of American Magicians, International Brotherhood of Magicians, etc.)?

3) How do you select new tricks, videos, DVDs, or books for your next purchase?

4) How do you find information on a trick before you make the purchase?

5) What was most recent trick you purchased? Can I see it? How did you feel about the purchase before you bought it and how did you feel after you opened the package? Let’s talk about why and how you picked this trick?

6) Who are your favorite creators of magic and why?

7) If you could perform only three tricks for the rest of your life, what tricks would they be and why (please cite the source if the trick is located in a book or video)?

8) Do you buy magic online, by phone, or at a shop? Why do you use that channel of retail and why not the others?

9) What qualities should the perfect magic store have?

10) What do you do with products that you no longer have a use for (resale, donate to club, storage)? If storage, how and where do you organize your collection?
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
2) Semi-Pro, Member of SAM and visit/talk with IBM but not a due-paying member.

3) Visit online magic shops and check the Café board to look for something that lines up with personal taste. Usually intrested in stuff that has been out awhile, I try to shy away from brand-new things.

4) Talk to one of the 2 magic shops in the area to see what they have heard or if they have it, ask for review on Café and talk to friends who've had it or seen it done.

5) Most recent was actually Jim Pace's Igniter... saw what it was at lecture so obviously was impressed enough to buy it. Although, since you phrased your question more towards an effect type purchase, it has been a long time since I bought a "trick" type thing, mostly books and video's. And 99% of the time I won't purchase a "trick" unless I know exactly what it is, so I haven't really been suprised on opening up something... Usually I pick an effect that I think fits my character and taste and research it before making any purchases.

6) Darwin Ortiz, Larry Jennings are just some that come to mind, I love all the greats but those have given me a ton of usable material.

7) Geez.... Card to Box(Destination Box), Fiber Optics(Rope routine by Richard Sanders) and perhaps a combo card routine that uses parts of ambitious, card to pocket, deck vanishing, stranger-card(opposite backer)... That last effect was just because I can't imagine throwing away so many great card effects.

8) Usually online, though at a real shop if they have it in stock. Online for ease of use and cheap prices and usually large inventory, at shops to support the shops.

9) Billionares for owners, because you can't make money and have the perfect magic shop imho. A knowledgable and proffesional magician staff, a selection of many great effects from a long period of time, the ability to preview something before buying, a large numbers of magicians who frequent it.

10) I try to only buy what I can use, but generally I give away to a magic friend, possibly resale if no-one need's it, or just keep it in a bin or drawer somewhere.... Mostly storage in plastic bins with many other things, badly organized.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22821 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
7) Cigarette thru quarter, Sponge Rabbits, Cig thru Hank.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Howdy Stephen, I will keep this as short as possible, it would be very easy to write a small book here but I will spare you the agony Smile .

1. Got started at age 10. My first real magical experience was at the toyshop at Knott's Berry Farm in southern California in 1961. A small corner of the toyshop was devoted to Magic and had a wonderful young man demonstrating the Magical items on display. I have only seen Magic performed on TV until then. I was instantly hooked on Magic.

2. My only involvement at this time is being a student of Magic after 25+ years of not doing anything with Magic. I am currently in my 2nd year as a member of I.B.M. and a member of Ring 339 Ring Of Fire here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

3. I don't buy very much at this time, money is very tight for me as I am a single parent living with my beautiful almost 8 year old Daughter. Ring 339 has an excellent library of books, video's and lecture notes available for it's members and I take full advantage of this privilege.
When I do make a modest purchase it is usually word of mouth that convinces me to take the plunge.

4. As stated in #3 word of mouth or sometimes reviews in magazines or online.

5. Mini Blendo. I have performed Blendo in the past but my main interest now is close-up Magic and when I saw an ad for Mini Blendo I jumped at the opportunity to purchase it for myself (all I really needed were the small silks).
I was excited to find silks so small and when they arrived in the mail I was just as excited. No disappointment with this purchase.

6. I have no favorite creators. But I do appreciate quality props, there is too much stuff on the market that is cheaply made with poor materials and poor craftsmanship. Some of the video's that are available are poorly put together also.

7. 1. A good Sponge Ball routine. 2. A good Cups & Ball routine. 3. A good Linking Ring routine.
All for the same reason. They are all "Classic" effects and have a long history of entertaining audiences from different time periods and cultures. Also I just Love watching a capable Magician perform these effects.

8. All the above. I prefer going into a shop and making a purchase because I believe in supporting your local Magic dealer but the only shop that I know of in my area (30+ miles away) caters to tourists and I have always had a hard time getting any real attention from the guy behind the counter.
If something is broken or you have a problem with the purchase it is nice to be able to walk into the place of purchase and ask for assistance (something you can't do online or on the phone).
Conventions are an excellent place to make purchases and when I do get to go to one I try to take as much money as I can in order to be able to patronize the dealer's booths.

9. Besides being well stocked they should be friendly and willing to help the customer before and after a purchase.
A good dealer will try to find out what a person's skill level is and only sell things to that customer that they are prepared to learn. In other words don't sell someone new to magic an effect that requires multiple sleights. When I worked in a shop I never sold sponge rabbits to a young child because I knew that they would not be happy with the purchase (unless the child demonstrated a certain skill level) I did the same with all my customers young and old, first find out what they are capable of handling. A happy customer will always come back.

10. Give away to someone I know who is into Magic or in the case of books or video's I donate them to my club Library. If it is something that I think I might use at some later date I will throw it into a drawer or loan it to a friend letting them know that I might want it back someday (I have never taken anything back yet).

11. OK it wasn't so short after all. It isn't easy keeping it too short Smile

Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3448 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
1) When did you get started in magic and tell me about your first magical experience?

I started at age six. My dad was interested in magic and had learned a few effects. The first ones I remember was the card matrix effect 21 and the broken match in the hanky. I could do both of them well at age six.

2) Currently, how are you involved in magic (professional, semi-professional, hobbyist) and what clubs/organizations are you a part of (Society of American Magicians, International Brotherhood of Magicians, etc.)?

I have been semi-pro but currently use my skills to entertain friends and illustrate sermons in church. Close-up and parlor magic are my interests. There are no organizations close to my location that I desire to belong to so I am not a member of any organization.

I like to see a video demo and determine if it is something I will use. Sometimes I will buy stuff I know I will not use just to study the method.

Advertising is sometimes deceptive so I like to see what the magicians on Magic Café says about it. Otherwise I will have to travel a distance to get to a magic shop.

5) What was most recent trick you purchased? Can I see it? How did you feel about the purchase before you bought it and how did you feel after you opened the package? Let’s talk about why and how you picked this trick?

I recently bought some card marking fluid. You could see it if you came to my location. I was pleased with the purchase because it was reasonably priced. So, I felt excited to get it and was excited with it after I opened it. (This is not the case with much of the magic I buy).The only reason I purchased it was because a fried of mine was into marking cards and I wanted to create a system that would stump him. The system did just that and he was puzzled as to how I could read a card from 25 feet away.

I lean toward amateur creators. They are usually more up front with what they sell you and will often refund your money if the effect just doesn't work for you.

7) If you could perform only three tricks for the rest of your life, what tricks would they be and why (please cite the source if the trick is located in a book or video)?

I don't have time to look up the source of the effect but:

Card Warp or Ultimate Card Warp
Coins Across
Beer Mat Scam

8) Do you buy magic online, by phone, or at a shop? Why do you use that channel of retail and why not the others?

I usually buy online because most of the magicians I deal with are highly trusted, love magic, and will answer you questions. I do not buy from shops because many of them are only demonstrators who have one goal---sell the effect.I also find the prices better on line, especially when buying second-hand magic.

The secret is told before the effect is sold instead of the secret is told when the magic is sold. I may be a little biased here and realize that not everyone who wants to know the secret plans to buy it. My problem is that unless I know the working of some effects, I do not know if I can use it in real life situations. Consequently, like many other magicians, I have a lot of stuff I have never used.

10) What do you do with products that you no longer have a use for (resale, donate to club, storage)? If storage, how and where do you organize your collection?

This becomes a real problem after a while. Magic accumulates because I hate to part with it once I own it. It becomes sort of collectable for me. I devote an entire closet to storage of magic.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235

I first got started in magic when in orlando, florida. the first trick I ever saw live and close up was the floating dollar bill, and I was hooked. needless to say I bought it along with my good friend the svegali deck. I got home to the uk and eventually managed to perform the trick for my video camera, not live, I had no confidence yet.
I then persued my interest more by getting into card magic, and eventually joined my club.

currently, my close-up magic only goes as far as friends and occasionaly family. allthough recently ive performed in 2 magic competitions with my club (for the public) and you would be suprised how fast my confidence has shot up.
I am still an ametuer at 1 and a half years and would only consider myself a hobbiest. ive more recently became a member of merlins junior club , but for over a year now ive been apart of my local magic club, doncaster magic club.

well, I only ever really buy dvd's videos and books, I'm not a gimmick kinda person (but I wont get into that now). I make my desicion on my next purchases very wisely, after all the crap ive bought. ill probably take a look at themagiccafe for some reveiws and to make sure the things I buy are gonna be worth it.
my method most certainly works because unlike many many magicians , my ' draw full of old unused rubbish' is only very small.

themagiccafe, friends (magic ones that is), and othere places on the internet, id like to think I'm very wise when it comes to knowing what to buy.

5) What was most recent trick you purchased? Can I see it? How did you feel about
the purchase before you bought it and how did you feel after you opened the package? Let’s talk about why and how you picked this trick?

the most recent trick I purchased hmmm, it was a while ago and I think it was a hand flasher (almost 4 months I reckon), it was hard for me to be dissapointed beause id seen the gimmick before I even bought it, but as usual id just bought it cos I thought the concept was very good, and now its in my 'draw of crap', I never knew what to do with it but I remember ive got it incase I ever ned it in the future. it was actually at that convention that I decided not to buy so many tricks and gimmicks and to stick to dvds and books etc.

I have no favourite creators of magic, but I certainly like a lot of jay sankeys stuff. I appreciate all creators of magic that create or share with the magic community because they think it willl help, and not just to make a quick bit of money

ok, daryls rope routine is definetly on the list, allthough ive changed the routine a little bit for myself. this can be found in daryls rope magic series volume 3 (highly recomended).its on the list because of the amount of magic packed in there, and the entertainment value is just so high . my second favourite trick is one that I havent even performed and only practised very little, a card in banana routine,i can allready see the potential in my head. its one of those tricks that gets you exited thinking up a presentation for it. (im sorry but I don't have a sure source for it, I think its in a book called our mysteries but I don't even know the author)
my last favourite is one of my own creation, a comedy spectator does the mindreading effect, very strong, very funny.
the source? on a little notepad in the corner of my room.

I buy magic very little as said before, but when I do it is usually from conventions, so as to get a veiw of what I'm buying , and usually a good rate.

hmmm, one quality that any store should have wether it be magic or not, is soe good customer service, to me , this is a very important aspect. of course if the price is low then that's good to Smile.

all my old unwanted products are in my wardrobe , in a little tub at the bottom, hidden and forgoten.
I usually just keep them incase I ever need them later. I also have some of my first magic tricks there, and I shall never sell them (or no-one would buy them).

hope this helps, because my fingers are killing me.

all the best,
ollie
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien

I got started when I bought a cheap bargain book on card magic. I originally thought it would be fun to know a couple of card tricks. I had no idea that it was going to grab me so strongly and turn into something that has now become so much a part of life. Now, I am a big, big nerd.

I am now a professional magician, full-time. I work for a magic store in Chicago's Navy Pier. I also work with a non-profit organization called Open Heart Magic that trains volunteers to perform close-up, bedside magic for sick kids in area hospitals. I am not a member of any of the local IBM or SAM rings. They just don't seem to offer what I'm looking for in a magic organization. Too many "look at me" hobbyists with vapid personalities. Don't get me wrong, there are some great people there, too, but not enough for me to want to be actively involved. Oh well.

I mostly just keep my ear open to any feedback about the newest stuff. If enough people are buzzing about it, then it may be worth checking out.

I look it up online, try to find a good description or maybe some reviews. If I'm still stumped, then I'll ask about it in a forum like this.

I got several new effects for Christmas. My favorite has to be Presto Printo. I saw it performed once and absolutely loved it! I had to have it, but it was a while before I finally got it. After learning it I was more than pleased with it. I love this effect! And, no, you can't see it.

I'd say Paul Harris. Most of his stuff has a silliness to it that I can appreciate. Also, a lot of his card stuff involves ripping up cards or folding them into funny shapes and for some reason I love mangling playing cards. I'm sure there is the makings of a deep psychological study in there somewhere. I may need help.

Red Hot Mama
Presto Printo
A good Matrix effect

I prefer going to a good old-fashioned brick and mortar shop. I like to support the store owners and I like to be able to browse things on the shelves, and talk shop with the owners. Also, I'm far too impatient to wait for things to be shipped to me.

Atmosphere. A wide selection of merchandise is good too. But I really like a shop with a special atmosphere. I don't think a magic shop should be as bland as a K-mart. You should feel like you're walking into a place that is specifically made for you and your fellow magicians.

I've given some stuff away to fellow magicians who may have a use for something that just isn't any use to me for whatever reason. But most stuff is kept in the hopes that one day I may find a use for it. Needless to say, I have shelves full of strange looking apparatus. It's the one thing that I'm a bit of a pack-rat about.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
You guys are great...Thanks you so much for the taking the time to make such detailed posts. I also want to personally thank Bill Palmer for PMing me some great data that I can use in my project.

Please keep the answers coming

Magic Café definately is about Magicians helping Magicians
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
1)When did you get started in magic and tell me about your first magical experience?

While on a family vacation in the early seventies when I bought a mental photography deck and some 5 inch linking rings at the Magic Cave magic shop in Knott's Berry Farm.

My first magic experience was either watching the Magicland of Alakazam on TV or a Magician who came to my grade school and did a show.

2)Currently, how are you involved in magic (professional, semi-professional, hobbyist) and what clubs/organizations are you a part of (Society of American Magicians, International Brotherhood of Magicians, etc.)?

I am a part time professional performing mainly at Libraries fairs and Festivals. I do private parties as well from time to time.

I belong to a local club, The Lynnwood Ring of Fire but I do not belong to any national nor international brotherhoods or societies at the moment.
I also am a member of a small enclave of like minded magi who meet once a month to discuss this and that and also produce a monthly free magic show featuring many local magicians at a local bookstore.

3)How do you select new tricks, videos, DVDs, or books for your next purchase?

Usually by what type of show I'm currently developing. Last year was a cowboy themed show so I obtained a couple of effects that I thought would play well for that theme. Every so often I will buy something on spec or a trick that peaks my interest with no intention of ever presenting it onstage.

4)How do you find information on a trick before you make the purchase?

I usually just buy it if it's what I need. I generally don't seek out information.

5)What was most recent trick you purchased?
Can I see it?
How did you feel about the purchase before you bought it and how did you feel after you opened the package?
Let’s talk about why and how you picked this trick?

Was a used set of Rice Checker Orange Cylinders and a Tayade Rice Vase.
You can see it here http://members.aol.com/payne/checkers.jpg
I thought I "Boy this is going to take a lot of work to make presentable"
I picked it because the guy wouldn't sell me the Rice Vase without the Rice Checker Cylinders.

6)Who are your favorite creators of magic and why?

I don't have a favorite creator or manufacturer. I buy what I want or need from whoever makes it. There are vendors and manufacturers I will not purchase from as they are known knock off sellers.

7)If you could perform only three tricks for the rest of your life, what tricks would they be and why (please cite the source if the trick is located in a book or video)?

Sword Thru Neck
Cups and Balls
Linking Rings

8)Do you buy magic on line, by phone, or at a shop? Why do you use that channel of retail and why not the others?

Usually online or via mail order as we don't have a shop in town that caters to magicians.

9)What qualities should the perfect magic store have?

Atmosphere, wide selection and a back room for the locals to hang out in.

10)What do you do with products that you no longer have a use for (resale, donate to club, storage)? If storage, how and where do you organize your collection?

I keep everything as I will eventually find a use for it someday. I keep my props in trunks, chests and cigar boxes.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I was about ten, and a school magician performed. He produced a rabbit from a hat, hypnotize it and floated it. He won my soul for life! I knew I would be doing magic!

I am professional, belong to SAM 4-Vice President, IBM 165, MAES & an Executive Staff member KIDabra

It's more of a gut feeling of an effect that will work with me. Something I would like to do, and it has a sense of humor in it. Major purcheses are usually at KIDabra or from Denny & Lee. I consider Denny Hanney a friend, and his advice has saved me thousands of dollars, so I listen and support this dealer. Illusions are personal in nature to me and the choice is based on how I want to use it and in what kind of show.

I have a cirle of trusted friends and we discuss different effects. Denny Haney is one of them, Ron Geofferies is another as well as members of my clubs.

The most recent purchase was the Dancing Cane from Precision Magic. I alway have liked the dancing cane, and Jeff McBride's Stage Magic videos (Commando Act-Dancing Cane Routine). I have the dancing pool cue stick, and other expensive dancing canes. This one is aluminium with retractable thread, it has an excellent DVD. I knew what I was getting, I knew a lot about dancing canes, and I am now practicing a brief routine with it. I am completely satistfied with it. The Dancing cane is a classice and just looks beautiful when done correctly. The only purcheses I am disappointed in are usually auction buys. Sometimes a winner, other times, trash (Beat or Broken parts).

• Steve Taylor because he puts emotional and powerful meaning into his educatioanl routines.
  • Arthur Stead because his music is what is missing in most magical routines.
  • Duane Laflin because he has meaninful routines like Steve Taylor.

This is the toughest question of them all.
For Kids: it would be A Rabbit Production, Pro Viper II, Wiz-Kote, Miser's Dream, Vanishing Bandana, and Chair Suspension (Sorry can't count or eliminate)
For Me: Dancing Cane, Linking Rings, Coin Matrix, Cups & Balls, Rabbit Production with Levitation
For Stage, 3-in-1 Levitation, "Improved" Sword Suspension (removal of third sword), Comedy Head Chopper

Online, by phone and at the shop: Denny & Lee. Because I get great sound advise and assured the purchase is quality merchandise.
At Kidabra, because it is New, focused on children entertainment and a successful history, and I get to see it visually performed by the creator.

Skilled professional working entertainer running it. One who can relate to my needs.

I rarely sell any magic unless I have doubles. Storage is difficult. I have built an addition to my house which is a Magic, Movie and Music Home theater with a practice stage. I built bookcases to store my visual props, I have a shed and a trailer to store my illusions, and I have a plastic storage oraganizer to store my smaller props, sponges, ropes, comedy props, silks, etc.
Dennis Michael
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Keep them coming....less than a week till I have to stop taking responses so I have enough tim to evaluate the answers for my project.

Thanks in Advance
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Keep them coming guys.....PLEASE
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii

I bought Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic in a discount store. It sat on a shelf for several years until I had kids and lost my job. We hired a clown for our children's birthday party (their birthdays are close together) and although she was fine I thought I could do better. So a few months later I started performing for my family.

semi-pro, looking to turn pro in about a year. Not yet in any clubs but likely to join the Magic Circle in the UK at some point.

I used to trawl the internet looking for great new products but was always disappointed when the stuff arrived. I now stick to the classics and Jay Sankey!

This is really difficult because even reviews aren't really helpful a lot of the time because different people of differing levels of ability find different products exciting. The best thing for me is to go to a magic shop in London and talk to the people there but on a tight budget this isn't always possible.

I knew I was going to do a children's party and I needed an ending to my show so I bought a dove pan. I knew what to expect because I knew how it should work and have seen many people use it. When I first got it I was a bit panicked as the mechanics were sticking but after a little practice it loosened up and worked fine. It still sticks in cold weather but it's ok, still far from perfect. I chose a pan with a double load because I had ideas that I knew would work really well with it.

I don't have much of a budget so I don't buy a lot of magic but I have been very happy with everything I've bought from Jay Sankey. Why? He seems to have a clear idea of what works for him and why it works. I have his 3 Ring Circus, basically a pocket version of the linking rings and it is beautiful. I can carry it in my wallet and perform it anywhere. So much thought has gone into it at Jay's end that very little has had to come from me! I routine it differently and I have changed a few things from his presentation that I didn't like but that's as it should be.

My own Ambitious Card routine, my own Cut and Restored Rope routine and the linking rings. I am still working on the linking rings but the other two are excellent for different situations. Working mainly for kids they love the rings and the rope and I can routine them together. Cut and restored rope - ring on rope - linking rings. But I can't take them to the pub. I can take a deck of cards to the pub and impress with the Ambitious Card. This is enough to convince people that I am a magician and I have got bookings for kids parties by impressing their dad in the pub!

Out of preference I would go to the shop and talk to someone who knows what they're talking about but if I know what I want I'll find the best offer online. Online is usually cheaper and usually quite quick, I've never had to wait more than a couple of days oredering from UK companies. But if I need advice I will go to London to talk to someone in person. On a couple of occasions I have gone to the shop with a very firm idea of what I wanted and have come away with something completely different because the guy at the shop convinced me to buy something else. Unlike most 'sales people' they don't want to sell me the most expensive thing, they are really helpful and try to sell me the best thing for me, even if it isn't as expensive as the item I thought I wanted!

friendly and knowledgable staff. The shop I go to has a few different people who specialise. It is not uncommon for one guy to show me several items and then call over a colleague who better understands something else that I might be interested in.

A lot of the products I have bought are small so I store them in a big box under 'never likely to use this but the technique might be useful someday'! The actual products aren't really organised, just thrown in the big box but I file the instruction leaflets and sort through them occasionally to see if I'm missing anything that I could now use.

PS Good topic, good thread and good luck!
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Ok, here goes.

My interest in magic began when I saw Lance Burton live. That was when I was about 6. Since then, I've always had an interest in magic, but I didn't begin performing magic until I was 10.

Semi-professional. I perform almost on a daily basis, but I only do paid shows occasionally. I'm currently looking to get a job at a magic shop nearby. I'm a member of IBM, and used to be a member of SAM, but they don't have any rings here in Vegas. I also go to Gary Darwin's meets occasionally.

Magazines, websites, stores, or recommendations from other magicians.

The Magic Café. Where else?

Trick, book, or video? Since you said trick, I'll assume you mean an individual item. I honestly don't remember the last time I've purchased one. For the past year or so, I've only been getting books and videos.

Gregory Wilson, Edward Marlo, and Dai Vernon.

Professional Card To Wallet
Everybody's Lazy (Simon Aronson - Simply Simon)
The Luckiest Cards In Vegas (Michael Close - Closely Guarded Secrets)

I buy from my local magic shop whenever possible. However, sometimes they don't have the item, in which case I'll purchase it from one of the many internet-based magic shops.

Good service, good selection, and good prices.

I keep all my magic on two large bookshelves. The top shelf is for DVDs and videos, the middle shelf is for books, and the bottom shelf is for props. Also, scattered randomly throughout my house are several hundred decks of playing cards. When I get around to collecting some of the older decks, I'll put them away in a drawer where I'll retrieve them later for making gaffs

Shane Wiker
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me out on this project. I am now closing my project to new data. If you would like to post your answers to these questions now, they will not be used in my project. Feel free to do it to share your views on buying magic with everyone else on this forum.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted on how my project turns out. You guys are great!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
1)
I started magic after I found Tenyo's magic corner in a department sotre.

2)
I am a professional writer of magic. Curently, I am preparing a beginners magic book for a publisher.

3)
I create myself.

4)
I rarely buy tricks.

5)
Recently, I bought some card tricks and I am disappointed by them, and decided I would not buy anymore.

6)
Dr.Sawa because he is wonderful.
Mr.Maric, because he can change common tricks to astonishing ones.

7)
My version of Everywhere and Nowhere.
My Unbelievable.
Classical Ace Assembly with Kohler equevoque. (No other Ace Assembly can top this one).
You can't find them anywhere.

8)
I buy card magic books on line because they are not in Japan.

9)
Not to sell bad tricks.

10)
I always put them in trash as soon as I decided I didn't need them.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20517 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-03-28 23:23, MagicSteve84 wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a favor from all of you. My name is Stephen Loureiro and I am currently a Junior at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island. I am taking a Consumer Behavior class and we get to choose a topic for our final project. I decided to survey as many magicians as I know and develop some results based on their input. I have already spent a couple of days at Hank Lee's in Boston and Diamonds Magic in Peabody, MA interviewing some magicians. I would like your help. If any of you can please take 10 minutes of your time and answer the following questions as thoroughly as possible. I would greatly appreciate it.

If typing out the answers seems daunting to any of you and you live in the RI or MA area please email and I would be thrilled to ask the questions via telephone (it would take no longer than 15 minutes). I just want to thank everyone in advance for helping me with this project and I will be sure to post the results of my study and the grade I receive on the project as soon as possible.... and remember...please expand as much as possible on the answers. One-word answers have little value in a study like this.

1. What I claim as my start in magic was at age 16 when I started actually buying tricks from magic suppliers in sufficient quantities to become a budget item. My mother had started me doing magic tricks from a much earlier age, perhaps from age six or eight. My mother had been an entertainer.

2. My classification would be professional and over my forty plus years in magic I have belonged to IBM, SAM, Wizards of the Ozarks, and PMZZ. I have held offices in several of these. Wizards of the Ozarks is now closed and I am not currently a member of SAM. My membership in IBM goes back to 1967.

3. I virtually never buy a book anymore that has not received good reviews from professionals I respect. The same is true of videos. Conventions are my primary exposures to new material.

4. Conventions and personal contacts with vendor/inventors are my primary sources of information on new offerings. (Occassionally, vendors use me as a center of influence for introducing new products.)

5. Ricardo Rabbit was my last purchase. It was custom made for me by Michael Baker, a prop builder. He had demonstrated the trick to me before and has an excellent reputation for quality among pro magicians.

6. There are many. Some have retired. The membership at PMZZ is representative of most today.

7. A. Dove in Balloon (No source available.)
B. My rope routine (My material)
C. Paper to Egg (No current vendor of props)

8. Most of my purchases (dollar-wise) are made at conventions. There are a few things that I buy online. Most of those are just refill items.

9. The staff of the perfect magic store would be professional magicians prepared to demonstrate any effect in the store.

10. Our storage is fairly systematic. We have about 4000 square feet of indoor storage space. Sealed labeled boxes on warehouse shelves account for most of the items. Grand illusion props are free-standing in a heated and cooled area. Items that we cull are usually auctioned off.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
kamus
View Profile
Veteran user
Silver Spring, Md
369 Posts

Profile of kamus
My uncle did a simple coin trick based on HCP but I didn't start doing magic until I was 35

Used to belong to IBM, but the membership and meetings were pretty stale

The Café, magazine reviews, sometimes I just impulsively buy based on the ad. I've gotten pretty good at sniffing out the stinkers over the years.

See above

Nana's Necklace. I was happy about it. I picked it because it was a Dean Dill product

Max Maven, Dean Dill, Derren Brown, Dave Williamson, Paul Harris, Ben Harris and many more. Because they create and think outside of the box

Hmmm, just three eh? Triumph (I learned it from Brad Burt's video) Honest Abe (Greg Wilson) Flash Fold (Paul Harris)
Really hard to limit it- I'm very conscious of a lot of great tricks I'm missing

All three- mostly online and at the shop. Somehow ordering by phone, I feel oddly slightly embarassed.

9) What qualities should the perfect magic store have? The obvious- comprehensive stock, good demos, good customer service

I keep everything but will probably sell or donate a lot of stuff eventually
il illegetimi est non carborundum

http://www.davidkanemusic.com
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
1. Got started in magic at age 10. First magic experience was a card trick my brother showed me at/about age 9.

2. I am an avid amateur. I perform when and wherever I want. I don't belong to any magic club as I have a hard time with rules and regulations, etc.

3. I select books and material by author and by style. When I see historical references in other books, and I keep seeing the same name pop up again and again, I'll invest in those whose material continues to speak to me. I only buy videos and DVD's when I don't understand the written instructions and want to see the work "live."

4. I don't really like to buy "tricks" anymore, unless I can foresee multiple uses. I'd prefer to find props that satisfy this need. This habit has evolved over time.

5. The last trick I bought was a cheapy ball and vase. I bought two at the same time. I bought it because the one I had got lost in the move somehow. I felt complete when I bought it. I really don't remember the last new "trick" I bought. It was more than 5 years ago. I don't still do the trick.

6. My favorite creators of magic include Alex Elmsley, Jon Raucherbaumer, Max Maven, Michael Close, Tommy Wonder, Jonathan Townsend. Why? Because their work helps me think of solutions to my own problems in routining and effect. Their work is rich in history and resource. It sends me in directions I want to go.

7. I can't really answer this question because I don't want to think of only three. Times change, tastes change, and audiences change. Things change. Sorry.

8. I buy magic in the shops. I use a credit card. I only buy magic online when the local shops don't have what I want, or won't order it. I only buy magic in the USA.

9. A good magic store should be cluttered but not dirty. It should be chock full of books, magazines, pamphlets, back issues, especially old books. It should have props and things I can use in more than one way.

10. I keep everything. I don't/won't donate, sell, trade...nothing...not even the garbabe. I keep instructions always. I consider it all resource material. And just because I'm not using it today doesn't mean I won't tomorrow. (Again, things change) I keep the stuff I'm not using in boxes. My kids will inherit it.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
Thanks Again Guys for all the help

I'm presenting my project to the class tommorow....wish me luck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Consumer Behavior of Magicians ... 10 Questions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.59 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL