The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busk Pittsburgh~ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
The Busk Pittsburgh Committee

The Busk Pittsburgh Committee is launching an educational campaign that will run throughout the winter and which is designed to foster street performing.

Efforts include working with performing artists and venues to facilitate the growth of street performance throughout the city and gaining public acceptance, by informing the community as to how busking enhances the vitality of city streets.

Busk Pittsburgh is working with local City Council officials to write an ordinance to make street performances officially permitted in the city. Busk Pittsburgh believes that street performing creates art entrepreneurs and is a great way for artists to get exposure. Buskers enliven city streets and make abandoned streets safer to walk on, fostering an increase in activity and creativity.

The Busk Pittsburgh Committee encourages street performers, actors, theater groups and musicians to participate, performing artists interested in busking should email their name, talent, and phone number to: buskpittsburgh@yahoo.com. More information about the committee can e-mail eric_sloss@hotmail.com or call 412.661.0676.

About Busking:
Busk –(intr. v. busked, busk·ing, busks)
Busking is a centuries-old tradition, consisting of entertainers performing in public places for tips.
[Orig. unknown.] buscare--Lat., to look for--busk'er n. One who busks.

Busking is a centuries-old tradition of entertainers performing for tips in public areas. In medieval Europe, local merchants would invite entertainers to their storefronts, plazas and public squares to attract pedestrians and increase business.

The roots of the American busking tradition lie in the numerous circuses that once migrated from coast to coast. Barnstorming from town to town, circus performers adjusted their comic, sword swallowing, acrobatic and juggling talents for street corners and soon became a mainstay in American street culture.

This unique form of street theater is always spontaneous and improvisational, as buskers must rely on their skills in a street-level, always changing performance setting. If the crowd has enjoyed the show, always provided for free, they show their appreciation to the performer with a most traditional compensation: a tip when the “hat” is passed around.

Artists have been performing on the streets of many metropolitan areas throughout the throughout the world, for hundreds of years. Cities such as New York, San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Phoenix, New Orleans, Minneapolis, Barcelona, Paris, and Hong Kong have adopted extensive busking programs.

"Bob Dylan did it like a Rolling Stone."
"Cirque du Soleil jumped through hoops doing it."
"Penn and Teller made magic doing it."

Many now famous artists used busking as a means to promote their work and make money doing it.

For more information about Busk Pittsburgh please e-mail buskpittsburgh@yahoo.com or call 412.661.0676. Busk Pittsburgh is a project of Ground Zero Action Network.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Thanks for the info friend.

I am only a couple of hours away from Pittsburgh, and lived there a couple of dreadful years back in the 70's. But things are much better there now, and I would love to be a part of "busking in the pitt"... Well maybe that is bit to negative Smile, but seriously, the creaton of The Busk Pittsburgh COmmittee is encouraging, and I will be there before the summer is over, God Willing... and if the Busk Pittsburgh Committee will let me Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Good Deal!

Glad the info could be of use!

Pittsburgh is a nice town, despite its dreadful name (SOrt of like the Iceland/Greenland thing)
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Hey I tried to email to both addresses and got it returned. What is the correct address for the buskpittsburg committee?

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
Their site: http://www.buskpittsburgh.com is gone...
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
O wsell, it sounded good while it lasted.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
delbmarcs
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of delbmarcs
Hey Zack, I'm in the city/southside area...hit me with a PM, it'd be sweet to see you work.
The thing about doing the impossible is that you've got no competition.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
That might be tough, since I live in Hollywood right now! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busk Pittsburgh~ (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL