The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling openers: quick, visual, non-interactive? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I used to open a walk around set with the hot rod. I introduced it as a small magic wand encrusted with different colored gems.
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
Thank you for the response Michael. I use a Hot Rod for children when they're present. I'm talking about those high class snotty business people who look down on most people, let alone a.....magician.
What would be quick and impressive enough to warrent me diverting they're attention to honor my obligation with the host?

gician
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Why non-interactive?

Anyway, sponge balls are great because they have many small climaxes along the way, and if it is obvious that the spectator doesn't like the magic/you, you can always say thanks, and leave. I wouldn't do anything that takes more than a minute for the audience to see any magic.

(i've never done table-hopping so this isn't coming from an experienced guy)
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
298 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
I had an old magician friend who was my mentor. We would hang together while strolling restaurants and bars. He would never ask anyone if they would like to see some magic... instead, he made them ask him if he would show some. Here's how... While sitting at the bar smoking, he would touch his cigarette to a wad of flash paper, tossing it into the air above his head. Looking startled, he'd turn and ask everyone at the bar, "Did you see that?" They'd say something like, "Yeah... maybe I've had too much to drink. What the H___ was that?" He'd say, "Actually, you're not seeing things... my name is Rajah. I'm a magician, and I thought it was getting a little too boring in here." He would then look back at his drink and continue minding his own business as before. Invariably, one or more would say, "Hey... do that again... or show some more..." At that point he would bring out his sponge balls, ropes, or cards... and the show was on.

Another tactic he'd use in a restaurant was this; He'd use a silk reel and attach the end of the line to a ten dollar bill with some wax. He would then drop the bill on the floor by some tables... when someone would eventually bend down to pick it up, he'd zip it up to his hand and say, "Sorry, that's mine. You see, I'm Rajah, the magician... and I need all the money I can get." He'd then put the bill in his shirt pocket and he'd pull out a deck of cards... and start shuffling, non-chalantly... They would always ask to see more.

Sometimes he would just sit at a bar or table and pull out a deck of cards and start shuffling or doing simple flourishes until someone would ask, "Are you going to play poker with yourself? (or similar remark)" He'd say, "No... I'm a magician, and I'm just practicing some of my moves."

I miss my ol' buddy, Rajah (Tom Kepler)... but I thought I'd share a little of his ideas and style... maybe 'food for thought?'

Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
All screwed up rocks...lol. It is a great opener because people are left totally speechless.

Chris
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
Great story Dave!
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1687 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I like All Screwed Up - but can it work standing up, i.e. no table?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
9 times out of 10 I open with Sponge Balls
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
Thank you for sharing your memories MagikDave. Your friend Tom sounds like he kept you in stitches. The attitude surrounding the flashpaper and "What the H#@% was that?" have me laughing now. I also appreciate the "Too boring in here" tag.
Usually it is exactly that, or at the very least, awkward at the beginning of a party for guests as they stand around near the bar area sipping their first cocktails.
Thanks to Chris for the "All Screwed Up" tip, as well as Kinesis regarding sponges. I most often open a set with Sponge Bunnies, however I am working with moving them to the end - hard to top that finish from the spectators point of view. I am going to work on Nuts & Bolts as the set opener and see how that goes.

As for the early arrivals at the party - those initial sippers, I'm going to give Mark Jenest's Short Hop (Poor mans Hopping Half) a try, as can also be seen on Carl Andrews' Strolling Magician tape. I believe that if I've hooked them, and they'd like to see more, I will go into a "Would you like to learn a trick" invitation similar to what Carl does, though not his routine. In the end, all in fun of course, they haven't really learned anything, and the selection ends up on my forehead.
With this approach of "Hey, can I show you something...no, that's not it, I think it's...no, it was, well, I 'll figure it out later. How about I teach you a trick, would you like to learn a trick? Sure you would - you can be the life of the party...." looking around very tounge in cheek at this point toward the six couples currently present and the big empty banquet room.
This way they have seen some very fast magic that came out of nowhere - and went -as well as a pseudo lesson, culminating with me becoming a magic billboard to the other onlookers that "He's the magician".
WOW, this place is like therapy; I feel so vulnerable.
Thanks again all,

gician
Alchimest
View Profile
Regular user
Alchimest
133 Posts

Profile of Alchimest
I use several rubber band effects that lead into my ring and string routine. The rubber band effects (broken and restored, CMH, and a couple others) are very fast and good attention getters.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Holey Moley is also an attention getter. Take two washers and move the hole fom the one in your hand to join the one in their hand.

Quote:
On 2005-04-17 12:09, gician wrote:
Thank you for the response Michael. I use a Hot Rod for children when they're present. I'm talking about those high class snotty business people who look down on most people, let alone a.....magician.
What would be quick and impressive enough to warrent me diverting they're attention to honor my obligation with the host?

gician

try a gold plated hot rod with real semiprecious stones.
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Yeah all screwed up works great standing up. Its a stone wall killer trick.

Chris
johnjack
View Profile
New user
Staten Island New York
38 Posts

Profile of johnjack
Hey Ross, I just bought these tear no tear papers, they are quite comical. They are the size of a business card and state,"MAGIC TRICK tear this card into little pieces and I will restore it. Of course they can not, but b4 you know it, they are showing it to one of their friends to come over to try it, bringing you a small crowd to perform 2,wa...laaa! I also like to use #2 pencil, hoppin halves, hundi 500 and a flash wallet. Hope this helps:)
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Why not try out Ammar's "Did you order salt or pepper?" It's in his book, "the magic of Michael Ammar"
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1687 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On 2005-04-19 00:53, brianclementsvatua wrote:
Why not try out Ammar's "Did you order salt or pepper?" It's in his book, "the magic of Michael Ammar"

Yeah - nice trick, except those little salt and pepper dispensers aren't at all common this side of the pond.

Chris - All Screwed Up standing up? Where do you put the things? In a spectator's hand? It then fails the non-interactive criterion which I'm keen on because it's less pushy as an opener. Kinda lets you size them up before getting them involved, and let's them see you're not a jerk without making a huge emotional commitment. That comes later...
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-04-18 07:45, kinesis wrote:
9 times out of 10 I open with Sponge Balls

And the tenth time?
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Ross,

Sorry to hear you gave up on the TT. Shake it up a litte with a FT. That way if someone thinks they know how you've done it you can show them your T's and that really blows them away.
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
What is the effect of "All Screwed Up" by Eason?
Thanks.
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
My favorite opener is my flash paper to lollipop effectquick,visual,non interactive but stunningly amazing.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Darren Paul writes: "What about Doc Easons 'All screwed up' its nice and quick and it does not include cards ?"

Actually, while Doc Eason made the trick well known, it was actually created by Gary Frings and published in Genii magazine in the '60s.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling openers: quick, visual, non-interactive? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL