The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Room 101 a Rip-off of Bill Tarr's BTs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Wells34
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Wells34
I do not have Room 101 so I don't know for sure, but the ad sounds EXACTLY like Bill Tarr's BTs - EXACTLY. Word for word. I sure hope it isn't because it would be a real shame for someone like Bill to get ripped-off like that. In addition being quite unethical of dealers and distributors to sell it. I'll be interested to see how, if any, it differs from Bill's or if anyone can clear this up.
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
I've never heard of Bill Tarr's BT. Can you direct me to an ad?
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
I too would be interested in hearing about this effect, but I'm sure Luke Jermay would never knowingly rip off anyone.
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6450 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
It's funny you would mention this because when I reread the description I instantly came up with a way to do it using Bill Tarr's method.
Hmm?

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Brandon Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Louis, Missouri
293 Posts

Profile of Brandon Delgado
According to the following pages from MagicTalk, the BT's are explained in Bill's Now You See It, Now You Don't Notebook p. 200. I may have to look it up when I get home...

http://www.magictalk.com/cgi-bin/reviews.cgi?read=93
http://www.magictalk.com/cgi-bin/reviews.cgi?read=125

Brandon
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Quote:
On 2005-03-29 15:31, Wells34 wrote:
I do not have Room 101 so I don't know for sure, but the ad sounds EXACTLY like Bill Tarr's BTs - EXACTLY. Word for word. I sure hope it isn't because it would be a real shame for someone like Bill to get ripped-off like that. In addition being quite unethical of dealers and distributors to sell it. I'll be interested to see how, if any, it differs from Bill's or if anyone can clear this up.

I think the "real shame" is posting a comment like this when you admit that you don't have Room 101.

Bill Tarr's BTs are a utility item that allows one to do plenty of amazing things and Bill Tarr's book is excellent. Greg is right that you could use it to come up with a similiar effect however it is not used in Room 101 which is an excellent effect in it's own right.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bill Tarr's BT's are actually a variation on one of Swoger's mental gimmicks. I like the Tarr idea better, though, but it can be more difficult to conceal. The Swoger gimmick was built into the pen rather than added on. I can't recall the name of the device -- maybe Synonymental.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2242 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi,

Just to put the record straight. Luke’s Room 101 uses a completely different principle to Bill’s effect.

So, no you will find no Rip-Off here!

Regards

Peter Nardi
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
Bill Tarr's NYSINYD was the first magic book I bought. Is the "notebook" version an expanded edition with mentalism? Looks like another trip down to Hank's.
Brandon Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Louis, Missouri
293 Posts

Profile of Brandon Delgado
The Notebook is third in a series of NYSINYD. There is also "The Second Now You See It, Now You Don't."

Brandon
tommid
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of tommid
Peter.... is this effect described more accurately in the advertising than Eliminator?
Thanks!
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2242 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Tommid,

The effect is describe as the spectator sees it the same as Eliminator and in fact almost all magic effects. I think Eliminator is described accurately.

Peter
Roki
View Profile
Special user
London
743 Posts

Profile of Roki
Re Peter and tommid ,
Im simply a humble customer but Eliminator is to me a completely different effect from the one described . I spent ages excited and wondering how the descibed trick could be achieved yet when actually saw it performed I didn't even recognise it .
This is probably the wrong topic area to discuss this and I personally love Alkazam
but I think many dealers are now happy to misdescribe tricks to fool magicians .
I don't trust any trick description now and I would spend a lot on tricks if I trusted the seller .
I only buy tricks Ive actually seen in person . At Blackpool I bought several Alkazam
tricks that were awesome . But I could have got them months ago if there was a genuine mgicians review on them .
Is this topic discussed somewhere else on this forum ?
Roki
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
It seems a lot of dealers also employ a certain marketing idea......
let post it on our website..."coming soon".......
for a couple of weeks
combine this with a description of the effect which could be , lets say, rather "loose" to the actual effect
and....
WOW!
we get lots of pre-orders from all the suckers that can't get genuine reviews (because it hasn't yet be released)
because they believe the trick to be better than it really (often) is
this may sound a bit harsh, and of course does not apply to every dealer that has list an effect "coming soon", but I beleive this is getting more common and is making it harder for genuine clients to find the effect they want
thank goodness for the magic Café review threads, eh!
mind spy
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of mind spy
I think if you check some of the reveiws regarding Luke lecture tour in the U.S you will see room 101 mentioned. Room 101 was one of the hits!

Regards

Peter
RussH
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of RussH
Who is this 'mind spy' character suddenly claiming to be Peter Nardi? Peter, why post under your regular ID, then suddenly change to using 'mind spy', but carry on using your regular ID? It makes no sense. It's obviously being done with your knowledge as the ID is still active. Perhaps you could enlighten us as someone of a suspicious mind may think that the Café is being used for underhand marketing methods here!

I've had a look through 'mind spy's previous posting and he does claim to be you (see his posting on 'Corporate Close Up' as just one example).

Russ
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
(sigh....)
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2242 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi,

It is me hence I sign off with the name Peter Nardi. The reason I have two is one account was set up at my home and when I set it up I had no idea what my password was so I created a new account.

Regards

Mind Spy
zmagicleez
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of zmagicleez
Like you even had to grace that with a response Peter!
It's a small world... but you wouldn't want to hoover it.
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
I don't know...we hear that "The Beast" or "He that walks backwards" (aka Peter Nardi) is the very embodiment of deception...could be a clever ruse to rob us of our precious humors...?!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Room 101 a Rip-off of Bill Tarr's BTs? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL