The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ok, I've got about 50 bucks... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DeadRinger
View Profile
New user
long island
55 Posts

Profile of DeadRinger
The first trick I ever bought was scotch and soda when I was first starting out, and that got me into Bobo because I wanted a totally clean trick. Once I got Bobo, I, for the most part, eliminated gaffs from my coin close up.
*POOF*
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
To learn the Crazy Mans Handcuffs, goto Michael Ammars site. He has a manuscript that will teach the trick.

If you are new to magic, spend $25 or so and buy Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic. It has some great tricks (complete with good simple presentation) He does such a good job focusing on the effect and giving simple presentations to accomplish a strong effect.

A great routine for someone who likes coins is a Two in the hand, One in the Pocket routine. The first one I ever found was in the "Complete Idiots Guide to Magic" and was called "A bird in the hand". I perform it all the time as it can be done completely impromptu and you can even use something besides coins. People love it. It also gives you a great routine to practice with new coin sleights.

my two cents worth, no I put in three cents this time.
Magic is fun!!!
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
I really like the levitating matchstick or orbiting objects. They're really easy to learn and they are quite inexpensive.
Vinnie Anderson
View Profile
New user
atlanta
84 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Anderson
My 2 cents. Black and White Surprise is totally examinable and has a good "wow" effect. Its biggest drawback however is that it does not instantly reset.
Vinnie

Smile Smile
Giuseppe
View Profile
New user
Atlanta
70 Posts

Profile of Giuseppe
Just try to learn lots of card tricks. There are many sources (internet, library!!) that are free and you could save the money until you needed it(for new decks). Smile Smile
rusty151
View Profile
New user
West Palm Beach
18 Posts

Profile of rusty151
Speaking of books I really misss Tannens Magic catalog Hard back with a ton of pages. Are there any Magic dealers that have this type of catalog anymore?
When I was starting about 40 years ago my grandfather gave me his It was number 3 and the cover was missing but in my mind that was the greatest book ever written at the time.
Rusty
Shortelz
View Profile
Regular user
I am proud of my
132 Posts

Profile of Shortelz
LOL I got mark wilson's cyclopedia of magic at a garage sale for 25 cents Smile
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
To reiterate on the sensible posts only;
Get yourself a deck of cards, some loose change, and a book (Like Tarbell, or CCIM) and you're basically set for life. You won't ever NEED anything else (except fresh cards), ever.
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
NabsS
View Profile
New user
Geneva (Switzerland)
97 Posts

Profile of NabsS
Strangely nobody mentioned Sponge Ball transposition (which happens to be the best trick I can do). You can do it both in your hands and in the spectator's hand. Yep, it's examinable. Then there is cups and balls (been around for thousands of years).

Then, to repeat on what's been said, Royal Road to Card Magic. Then, if you have $80 to spare, get the DVDs with the same name from L&L Publishing.

L&L also sells the World's Greatest Magic series. Get the one on Matrix (the trick with 4 cards and 4 coins), and you will learn a great trick, which is relatively easy to do.

There's so much to get in magic, and even I don't know what to get.
HMAC
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of HMAC
I perfectly agree.
A deck of cards, coins and sponge balls is all you need.

For fancier or no-sleight effects, tricked decks can be very fun. I would second the invisible deck. And you just need 1 second, a good joke and a pocket to make it entirely examinable...
mindfreak2.0
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of mindfreak2.0
Go out and get some cards and a package of LOOPS
jjduck
View Profile
New user
Chesterfield, Virginia
78 Posts

Profile of jjduck
Spritemoogle,
I'm sure you have figured it out by now that books are the way to go instead of props. Remember, when you purchase a trick, you are paying for the secret, not the prop. If you purchase a book and get 1 effect out of the entire book, you have probably gotten your money's worth. Just think, if you where to get 3 or 4 effects out of the book, you would be way ahead of the game. I know it's hard to pass up all of that eye candy in the display cabinets but you will be well rewarded starting out with the books and you will still have change from your $50.00 to get the props to go with the books ie: cards, sponges, silks etc.

Best Wishes and Good Luck with your decision
Joe
AlienSpaceBat
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of AlienSpaceBat
Not sure the poster will be reading these replies, since the OP was a drive-by and their ONLY post, and it was SEVEN YEARS AGO ...!

:bg:
jjduck
View Profile
New user
Chesterfield, Virginia
78 Posts

Profile of jjduck
Hmmm! That's twice, I've done that. Smile
Joe
magicbjl1970
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of magicbjl1970
Spritemoogle hasn't posted since 2002!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8854 Posts

Profile of funsway
After getting a couple of books from Amazon and following a lot of advice her, also pick up a finger ring from a pawnshop. You can do most coin sleights with it plus many others including ring on sting effects. You can put on an hour show with a ring, shoelace and handkerchief -- and you are always prepared.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8854 Posts

Profile of funsway
As to dealers, check out Aldo Colombini's -- every package is $10 -- buy three and get one free. Get the DVD's, which include all of the other packaged tricks you can make yourself. If you need help deciding, just ask him -- very personable.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ok, I've got about 50 bucks... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL