The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Wow, This is a good trick! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Samelei
View Profile
New user
Calgary, AB
16 Posts

Profile of Samelei
Well, The color changing knives! I just bought this easy trick two days ago. When I found out how it was done, I felt empty, because it is such a simple trick for the effect you pull off!

It's just amazing that the people don't notice how it's done, and even though you know how easy it is, they think it has something to do with the knife itself, "A button, a switch" When in fact it isn't at all.

Anyone else have this same experince?

1. Seeing a COOL trick.
2. Wanting to buy it.
3. Buying it.
4. Figuring out the trick.
5. Angry because the trick looks dumb now.
6. Happy because your confusing people. Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3988 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
It's very interesting. I have a trick by John Kennedy that is based on the same principal or "move".

I showed it to my very astute wife, then gave the paddle to her to examine.

Now... GET THIS....

She said that I must be turning it somehow, THEN ACTUALLY DID THE PADDLE MOVE HERSELF A FEW TIMES, but then said, "But I would have seen it if you had done that."

Sometimes the most amazing tricks are the simplest.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Jay
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern New Jersey
400 Posts

Profile of Jay
Chessmann: I love that story.

Smile Smile Smile

Jay Smile
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2320 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
That is pretty darn funny Chessman! Smile

And to Samelei:
I believe most people starting out in magic have had that experience before. Sometimes I still get that feeling. You think up some method of how an effect is done, then your disappointed really that it's much simpler than you thought.

When I get a trick down pat, I don't think it looks dumb at all. In fact, realizing how simple it is makes me want to use it more and more on the public. Smile It does however give you that happy feeling to know your fooling people. Simple trick or not. I agree with you on that.
Samelei
View Profile
New user
Calgary, AB
16 Posts

Profile of Samelei
Can somone please tell me where I can get the explanation to "The Penetrating Bands"? I will pay $$ if I have to. I'm sure I will, but I can only do so via PayPal!

Please, And thank you. Smile
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Try a magic dealer who takes PayPal. It sounds like what you are looking for is in the book, The Magic of Michael Ammar, and is known as the Crazy Man's Handcuffs. You will pay $$ for the book, but it's a good book to invest in.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3988 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Here's another one from Chessmann Smile

A few weeks ago I bought Michael Skinner's Ultimate Three Card Monte after seeing a demo at my local shop. Didn't know how it worked.

When I got home and opened it up and discovered the secret...I literally burst out laughing. I couldn't believe it was so simple! But it stuns everyone I show it too - including my wife, who graduated #1 at her university's business school.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2320 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
If you can't get a hold of Michael's Book or notes, Slydini came out with a set of notes called "The Linking Bands." It sells for about 10 bucks.

If, after reading that it still confuses you, check out Michael Ammar's video on the effect. The video is called "Classic Renditions." It is Vol. 2 in a series of three videos.

The video also includes "Broken and Restored Rubberband," and "Traveling Cash." Both very good rubberband effects. I would suggest you go to http://www.ammarmagic.com/store/index.ph......3772a2a2 and check it out. Smile

Magically,
Brian Proctor
:magicrabbit:
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Get Dan Harlan's rubber band with Mark Fitzgerald's back together in it plus the vanishing of the one band.
Samelei
View Profile
New user
Calgary, AB
16 Posts

Profile of Samelei
I Am looking for the trick David Copperfield did, where two rubber bands go through one another, RIGHT IN YOUR FACE! Smile

How the heck?
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I do "I'll Start again." A Paddle move trick with chalk. I bought it because I thought it was a classic trick, but I didn't think that it I would use it much, as The principle is in every magic set, and, who would be entertained by a paddle and a bit of chalk in these days of Playstations and computers? Answer, Just about everyone. It goes down great, everywhere. I use it all the time.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
942 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
To be honest, a majority of package effects give me that feeling, and that is why I almost never buy them now. Perhaps I am missing out on some good stuff, but that's ok. I'm doing fine.

I will say that Skinner's monte is the thing I have used, and always will. That's just plain good thinking.
illusionfreak
View Profile
New user
Michigan
18 Posts

Profile of illusionfreak
CMH is quite easy to do, but takes some practice to get presentation and timing down. Smile
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Cool post Samelei...
I have to agree with you, I often buy tricks that look cool when I see them performed, and a lot of times I don't know how it's done, or "the secret" if you may.

It can be a packet trick, or something gimmicked in some way, and I always make up an idea of how it is possible beforehand, but when I open the package - it's going to be a suprise almost every time.

Sometimes I feel stupid, and think: "is this what fooled me?". other times I feel relief, and think, "what a great invention!"

Still I think it is important to think back to the time you didn't know the secret, because that is what laymen will see.

Of course every magician has their unique style, and we cannot perform all the same stuff, cause tricks I like, you might dislike.

But do everything you can not to loose interest in the trick, because if you belive it is magic, it will look like magic.

best!
-e-

Smile
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Agree with Eirik, got that feeling all the time.
It's all magic when performed the right way, doesn't matter if you know the secret or not. Smile
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
Highpockets
View Profile
New user
Dearborn, MI
55 Posts

Profile of Highpockets
These comments illustrate why you are doing people a disservice when you show them a trick then reveal the secret when they say, "How did you do that?". They will often get that same disappointed feeling. Some of the magic will have gone out of their life. It is one of those "loss of innocence" experiences.
Regards
age is a steep price to pay for maturity

www.yourhealthadvantage.com/
JesterJ
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JesterJ
I know that when I first started buying magic, I mostly picked tricks that amazed me. I'd want to know how they could have done it and when I got it, I'd often be disappointed or I'd think the secret was cool, but it wouldn't be much use to me for the magic that I do.

Now, I try to focus on buying magic that I can see myself performing for people. Before I buy something, I think about the magic I already know or have and I try to see if I could accomplish the trick myself, based on what I already know. If I can't, then I'll consider buying it. Occasionally, I'll buy something that I already knew the secret (but didn't know I knew it Smile. Instead of feeling cheated, I'll feel lucky for learning a new application of an idea.

Jester J
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
I got started in magic back in the early 1970's by accidentally finding Abbott’s Magic Shop while on a family fishing trip in Mich. Duke Stern (well known comedy magician) showed me Multiplying Rabbits, Professor’s Nightmare, and the Color Changing Knives. In his hands they were pure magic!! I bought all 3 effects (spending my whole allowance) and couldn't wait for the long drive back to Illinois when I would be able to sit in the back seat and discover the mechanical marvels that made these "miracles" possible. MAN, was I surprised to find 3 normal pieces of rope, 2 normal knives, and a bunch of sponge rabbits. I felt like I had been taken, but here we are 30 years later and these 3 "classics" are still among my favorite routines. Thanks Duke, for teaching me a valuable lesson. The magic comes from within you, not from the props that you use.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2002-10-02 02:54, Jeff Dial wrote:
...is known as the Crazy Man's Handcuffs.

One thing I should point out: CMH is the UNLINK move only. It's a much better effect if you can go both ways (link and unlink). Some versions teach both moves. I know Slydini's does.

The "link" move is a bit more difficult but well worth the time and effort.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Reinforces the point... "It's not the trick, it's the presentation."

My motto (one of several) "Simplicity is the Keynote to Success."

Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Wow, This is a good trick! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL