We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Pouches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
These days tuxedo says "Waiter". that's why I don't have one. But I wear the pouch with a suit all the time on walkaround gigs. People don't see it. Its invisible. As magicians, we're fascinated by containers and suitcases and the like. Layfolk don't share this fascination. Many's the time I've commented on an interesting piece of luggage, only to get a blank stare.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-03-30 13:41, Zack wrote:
But I wear the pouch with a suit all the time on walkaround gigs. People don't see it. Its invisible.
Black trousers and a black pouch will work very well I think (makes the pouch less visible)...even probably with a jacket, just not with a tux..a vest though is surely the best solution, black trousers and a fancy vest..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Werner,
I'm still planning on being in CPH about the first week in June. I'll be the one wearing black trousers, black pouch, and a fancy vest.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-03-30 14:35, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Werner,
I'm still planning on being in CPH about the first week in June. I'll be the one wearing black trousers, black pouch, and a fancy vest.
Then I'll guarante you a big hat if you do decent loads Smile
I'll be there saying hello and I promoise not to spoil your act Smile
I don't promise to wear a tux though Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Everyone looks different in a Tux. Some look like waiters and some look like overstuffed penguins.

But some of us look maaaaavelous in our tuxes....Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I had an interesting conversation with Jonathan Pendragon about tuxes a few years ago. He and Lance Burton are friends, but he wouldn't even try to pull off the style Lance has in his tux. I think he even mentioned "overstuffed penguin" at least once. That was when he adopted his double breasted jacket and leather trenchcoat look.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2005-03-30 14:35, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Werner,

You're going to Chen Ping Han in June?

Isn't that some place that Jay Sankey made up?
I, personally don't think you're really going there.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
When I use a pouch for a show, I put the whole show in it. I use a small pouch to, the Pouchers Pouch. So it is only logical that I have a pouch to the spectator it is where I keep everything.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2005-03-30 17:10, Frank Starsini wrote:
You're going to Chen Ping Han in June?

Isn't that some place that Jay Sankey made up?
I, personally don't think you're really going there.

I wouldn't dream of going there... but I am going to Copenhagen, DK (CPH in airline speak)to debut my street act. Your pouch and dice cup will be my costars.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Good luck and have fun!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks everyone for your feedback regarding pouches. It was great to get so many people to reply. I guess I will maybe try out using a pouch for myself and see how it goes.

BTW, thanks to those who sent me a PM too.

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
I second the thanks as it once again allows us to understand a little bit better about misdirection, timing and the need to practice before a live audience.
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
Paul G
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Paul G
If you're not busking but working a parlor situation in casual clothes--would putting a pouch on just before the routine work as well as it does on the street? Is using a pouch in this situation just as credible as on the street or would using pocket or some other loading sequence be more appropriate? I recall Gazzo saying once that he wouldn't do the same loads if the group he was performing for was small. Does anyone else recall this? If your audience is smaller would you get more bang from no pouch, and using just pocket loads?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Think about how appropriate pouches would be for what you are wearing. If they fit, no problem.

But close-up, I use different methods for doing loads. When you can get into the secret sessions, go to the thread called "Final Load Logic." You may have to use the search function to find it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Here's how I overcame my fear of the pouch. (Incidentally, I call it a "pouch" or an "apron" -- NEVER a "gibieciere") I was working a gig with a swing band. I was an avid swing dancer at the time, and since I wasn't on yet, I hit the floor with ahep kitten. We were dancing for a while, and the pouch became uncomfortable, and I said "Hang on a minute, let me take off my apron." She stepped back a few feet stared at me, and said "Why are you wearing an apron??" We'd been touch dancing, the *** thing was right up against her, and she hadn't noticed it. Its like a glass of water on the table--they just don't see it.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-03-30 01:05, Gazzo wrote:
Just the other night a magician walks on stage and switches a one dollar bill into a hundred and he used a thumb tip but I can see that he has a fake thumb on it was so obvious I just don't know how he gets away with it.

You'd be surprised what people will and will not notice. My kid found my thumb tip in the drawer and wondered what it could be good for. I showed him a vanishing and reappearing dime. Even though he knew I had the tip, he was still surprised at the reappearance from the "wrong" hand.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Just a thought and my two pence worth...
It has been said one should wear the pouch all the time so as not to draw attention to it upon getting into the C+B...some say it telegraphs where the stuff comes from.Me..I put I put it on when commencing the C+B and carry on.People ask constantly where does all that fruit come from, and also importantly how do I get it all under the cups and the hat...Surprisingly, when Im not sharing a pitch and doing back to backs I can be putting the loads back in the pouch and attract and edge..take the pouch off and lay it at the side...launch into the routine and end up with all this fruit on the table that the front edge has seen me load in and then wear the pouch,STILL they ask.
but then again I suppose its personal preference.
Just my two pence worth.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Act as if it is something "special", and people will take note of it.

Act like it is "nothing" and people will react to it like it is "nothing".

Keep the banter going with them while you are putting it on. Don't turn putting it on, into an event. It should should happen in the "flow", as if it is nothing special. Then, since there is no break in the flow of your interaction with the crowd, the pouch will soon be totally forgotten, if ever noticed at all.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Pouches (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL