The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Looking for SUPER sticking stuff.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I'm renewed taking up some old routine I loved to do 20 years back.

The stuff I used as an accessorie made me never really happy, it worked, but there always was some chance for a devasting failure.
Here's what I'm looking for, maybe some of you guys have 'the' solution re what to use.

I'm looking for some sticky stuff, that can be reused a couple of times, BUT this stuff should be able to stick/bind on ones 'flesh', inside ones hand, which not always is completely dry.

Now, please, don't tip me re Blue Tack, Scotch doublesided Tape, or even the thick tape that is uses for wigs or carpets, I've used it all and sometimes it worked.
I'm actually looking for something more secure/failsafe/more sticky.

Also, when peeled off, it should be able to get reused, at the same spot of that material then it was attached, not after rolling it into a ball, whatever, it should simply allow to get peeled off and attached again as it was earlier.

Maybe there is some better, thick doublesided tape known to you, that is more sticky then the one used for wigs or carpets, or some SUPER blue tack..
It doesn't have to be tape, it can come in any form of formable substance, like Blue Tack is.
So far I didn't find it, but maybe somebody knows and has 'the' solution.
Please let me know..
TIA
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
I can think of "3M (110) DOUBLE-SIDED URETHANE FOAM TAPE". This tape is very sticky & strong. I only hope it is not the same stuff you are referring to as "the thick tape that is uses for wigs or carpets".

I have not tried using it on the skin. You may give it a try. But be careful, pealing off the skin might be a problem.

Hope this helps!

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-03-30 13:42, ustaad wrote:
But be careful, pealing off the skin might be a problem.
Thanx for the tip..I'll try to get some.
IF it's peeling off the skin, it's exactly what I have in mind re sticky ability Smile
Problem is, a lot of otherwise good sticky stuff that binds incredibly well on most materials, doesn't so on the skin.
Cyanoacrylate glue (10 seconds stuff/crazy glue) does Smile
But that is not what I can use..I should be able to remove and replace it..anyway that stuff you mentioned might be good..

PS. I've used similar then what you mentioned, but as they are all different, this one might be better.

Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
For better adhesion (of the DOUBLE-SIDED TAPE) to the skin, use any suitable cleaning lotion (or you may use astringent) and wipe / clean the skin before applying the tape.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Werner,

If I understand correctly, you are looking for an adhesive substance that can stick securely, even to damp skin (such as a sweaty palm), but be detached easily and re-attached at will, is that correct?

I have two different substances that will meet these requirements; PM me and tell me exactly what you want it for and I'll see if I can help.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hi Werner,

This may help, but it depends upon your actual application. Go to a trophy shop. there is a brand of double sided tape that is about 1/2" wide, and very thin. It is commonly used to stick engraved brass name plates to trophy bases (marble, etc.)

I worked in a magic shop that also had a trophy business in the same company. I've can tell you for a fact that handling this stuff over and over, such as attaching many name plates, can eventually take the top layer of skin off your fingers.

I made a trick years ago called, "The Palmed Quarter", in which this tape was used to attached the flat edge of a quarter that had been cut cleanly in half to your palm. The idea was that during a coins through table routine, one coin being slammed through the table didn't make it, and ended up half imbedded in your palm (I was more into the geek stuff back then!).

The tape would hold extremely well, even allowing the quarter to bend flat against the palm, only to pop upright again, and again. This was with a piece of tape only the diameter of a quarter in length, and the thickness of a quarter in width!

I was also able to remove it and re attach it a few times over before it needed replacing. The only problem is which surface the tape wants to stick to more when detaching two stuck-together objects. I can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but it does for me.

The stuff I use (and for many other projects, too) has a yellow paper backing.

My source tells me he buys it under the name, Tuff Tape. He also tells me he has gotten it from both Innotech Products in Minnesota, and from GML Enterprises in Atlanta, GA.

If you PM me your mailing address, I will be happy to send you a sample from my stock so you can test it before spending the money.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
How about moleskin or some adhesive tape?
They're not double sided but could be modified and they are intended for use on skin.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Just a note but think about the actual properties of what makes something sticky...

Nothing super sticky will stay sticky for long because of dust, oil, ect.

The only things that are re-usable for a decent period of time(blu-tac, ect) rely more on the compressability than on stick.

What I want is some of tiny animal fiber tape(millions of tiny hairs that static cling to just about anything)... anyone know if that is on the market anywhere yet?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
You want 3-M Scotch 9472LE. Its only drawback: $32 a roll.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Thanx for all the tips re diff. materials.
I'll have a go trying some out..

GEMINI
View Profile
Regular user
WA, USA
193 Posts

Profile of GEMINI
The double sided tape Ustaad mentioned is very good. Give it a try.

Sam
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
260 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Have you tried dexters putty?
amazingmace
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of amazingmace
I bought a baking pan that had a cardboard insert. The stuff used to stick this was amazing. I peeled it of, stuck it on my fridge, and I use a piece every now and then. I find this stuff everywhere. Sometimes junk mail will have it, especially when they send you a cd. I don't know what it is, but it looks like snot and boogers all over my fridge.
Also, If you can find a pharmacy that sells dressing supplies there is something called DUODERM. It is real sticky, especially to wet skin. It matches skin. I cut out a small circle, use one of those rare earth magnets and fix it to my finger for watch-stopping effects. It's undetectable.
www.amazingmaces.com Father and Son magic team.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-07-13 06:15, amazingmace wrote:
I bought a baking pan that had a cardboard insert. The stuff used to stick this was amazing. I peeled it of, stuck it on my fridge, and I use a piece every now and then. I find this stuff everywhere. Sometimes junk mail will have it, especially when they send you a cd. I don't know what it is, but it looks like snot and boogers all over my fridge.

Lol ... that's just rubber cement.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
amazingmace
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of amazingmace
No Lol,
I have rubber cement. Some of this stuff is so incredibly sticky that invis. thread on a coin wont pull away even with violent shaking.
www.amazingmaces.com Father and Son magic team.
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
Hello Werner

I may have a material that fulfills your criteria. They are called "Tack Pads". They have a higher adhesion than the double sided tapes and if used carefully are reusable. They are available in half inch squares, three inch stripes, and four inch by four inch squares. If you want an unbiased opinion please ask daffydoug here on the Café about them. He just bought a few packages from me.

Take care and take cards
Antony Gerard
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
OOPS! Forgot to mention that they are designed to go on the skin.

Antony Gerard
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Antony,
In case you were not aware, Werner is no longer with us.
Look here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......36&5

Bill
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Fortunately, the information on adhesives is still good for everyone.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2006-06-20 17:21, Antony Gerard wrote:

I may have a material that fulfills your criteria. They are called "Tack Pads". They have a higher adhesion than the double sided tapes and if used carefully are reusable. They are available in half inch squares, three inch stripes, and four inch by four inch squares. If you want an unbiased opinion please ask daffydoug here on the Café about them. He just bought a few packages from me.

Antony Gerard

Tony,

I received your name from Daff and he recommended that I contact you about the "Tack Pads" you sell and also about your "Card A Tack" booklet. Would you please be so kind as to provide me with details (including pricing) about each?

Thanks a lot.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Looking for SUPER sticking stuff.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL