The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The Magic Menu - Jim Sisti (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Acextreme
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Acextreme
Hi, I was considering buying The Magic Menu but with only one problem. I only have enough for one of them as I have other things which I will be buying too. I would be getting the other compilation some months later.

So the question is, which would be better to get first? The "Years 1-5" or "Years 6-10"? I understand it's gonna be hard to choose, that's why I am here to consult those who owns both compilations. My intention to buy The Magic Menu is to aid my research into the business side of restaurant magic, especially how to market/sell myself to the restaurant managers and ways to penetrate into markets that's new to such concepts (I live outside of the US and restaurant magicians are yet to be seen but I believe it can be done if I have the right resources...).

As my focus is more on the business side of restaurant magic, which of the 2 volumes have more great business oriented articles that I should study? I was thinking of getting the "Years 1-5", any better recommendations?

Thanks a million in advance!!! ^.^
Scott Wells
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
993 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
I am partial to Years 1-5 since I contributed more to that volume Smile But there is invaluable info in both. I might suggest you start with that volume then after you have digested the material, you will know what you are in store for with Volume 2. It's like Tarbell...I always suggest starting at the beginning and buying Volume 1 and progressing in your purchases with Vol. 2, etc. At least that's my two and a half cents worth of advice.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
n3cromanc3r
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of n3cromanc3r
I don't own them but have thought about getting them as well. In just my little research I see people talking up 1-5 more than 6-10. I will probably get them in that order. From what I understand, it's hard to go wrong with either, but doing it in order makes sence anyway.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Get years 1 - 5. If my mneumnoic...neumon...nmunomic...if my memory system serves me correctly pages 9 and 18 have good tips on writing letters to restaurants. There's a ton of invaluble advice throughout the whole book too.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Darren Kidby
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
291 Posts

Profile of Darren Kidby
Isn't this out of print?

Darren...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-03-31 02:11, TheMagicMan wrote:
Isn't this out of print?

Darren...

It's been re-rissued in book form.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
The book is out of print too. But I am sure that there are still copies lying around.
Darren Kidby
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
291 Posts

Profile of Darren Kidby
If any one knows where I can buy both , that would be great.

Darren...
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
@ TheMagicMan
In the UK, you can buy both volumes here: http://www.magicbox.uk.com

Which volumes should you buy: of course both, but if I had to choose one, I think I would go with "Years 6-10", because in this book you can find an excellent series of articles on finances. But it is really hard to decide which book is better.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Volume 1, by all means. While volume 2 has some really wonderful stuff, for me, the first volume is just a shade better, but I'm not too sure as to why. Just my gut reaction to the question.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Acextreme
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Acextreme
Thanks a lot, I sure hope Volume 1 is still available. It would be VERY SAD if such a great classical reference is out of print and unavailable to future magicians. It would be a great loss of the magic world.

Everyone who owns both please post your opinion/suggestions, I can greatly appreciate all your help, guys! Thanks to all those who replied...
Darren Kidby
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
291 Posts

Profile of Darren Kidby
Thanks Calexa I ordered them both and they will be with me Monday morning.

Darren...
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
You are very welcome. As far as I know, they have the cheapest prize in the UK.

Magixx
Darren Kidby
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
291 Posts

Profile of Darren Kidby
Hey Calexa,
they arrived this morning, I have only had half an hour to have a quick read, they look to be a great investment, just wish I had bought them many years ago.

Darren...
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Everybody wishes they'd bought them years ago, better late than never LOL - Enjoy!

Hey Darren

I had a quick look at your website...err, you don't appear to have any contact details on your site (apart from your guestbook maybe.)

Maybe adding a way of contacting you will increase your business. Smile

Derek

FACEBOOK
Darren Kidby
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
291 Posts

Profile of Darren Kidby
Hey Derek,
This is an agent friendly web site (purely a tool for agents), the agents I work with can give the web address to a client (without fear of losing a sale) on the phone and they can go directly to the site and see who they have booked while waiting for my brouchure to arrive in the post.

Darren...
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
That's cool, just a bit frustrating for people that stumble across your site looking for exactly the type of thing you offer and having no way whatsoever to contact you or your agents.

FACEBOOK
Removed
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Removed
I do have another site with all my details on, but is down at the moment, same as this one but with a hyperlink to a contacts page.

Darren...

ps It is me The Magic Man, after typing my previous post I went to edit my profile and while I was doing it one of my kids came in and distracted me, now I can't log in, so I had to re register.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
LOL, that's kids for ya!

Cheers Darren

FACEBOOK
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Hi Darren, I like the website. And I'm glad that you liked the books. Theu are indeed great!

Magixx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » The Magic Menu - Jim Sisti (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL