The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Animal Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rosewoodmagic
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of rosewoodmagic
Hello Everyone,

I have been building illusion for a number of years now, and am finally ready to bring some ideas to the market.

My question is as follows...

Do you, as an animal magic user, see a space in the prop world for effect that are basically miniaturized stage props that use animals, as opposed to human assistants, that are suitable for birthday parties, and that area 100% angle proof?

I'm interested in everyone's responses.

Best,
Rosewood
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Can you give much of an example without exposing what you're trying to do? I'm not exactly clear with what you're looking for.

Dave
rosewoodmagic
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of rosewoodmagic
RECAP:

My apologies Dave, for not being more clear.

Here is an example:

Say, for example, I wanted to create an assistant's revenge in the miniature, that would use say, doves instead of an actual person.

Imagine the effect: a blue dove is strapped into all the restraints, you whip a curtain around, and the dove has switched places with say, a red dove.

I'm interested in developing some of these ideas further, I'm just curious if anyone who works with doves, rabbits, etc, would ever actually be interested in using such small illusions in their performances.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Rosewood
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I think that is a great idea. It would need some routining, but the ideas are cool. Here's one I'd do if you made it... strap the dove into a holder, and pass a parakeet right through its chest. :o)

Dave
rosewoodmagic
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of rosewoodmagic
Oh my goodness Dave! You gave me shivers when I read that!

That is a great idea. Perhaps I shall look into it;)

Best,
Rosewood
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I would prefer that you use rabbits for your miniature illusions. Like cutting in half, floating in mid-air, transpositions, appearances, vanishes, etc. Rabbits are still the best type of animal children love to see in a magic show. They are also available everywhere.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
You would want to tread very carefully with some of these ideas. With today's attitude about cruel treatment towards animals - most audiences would look down and be offended by any magic trick that makes it appear as though the animal is being harmed in any way. There is a definite different attitude between things like that happening to a human and things like that happening to an animal. Modern Audiences know that you don't actually saw the human assistant in half. THey also know that the magical assistant is going into the sawing box willfully. In contrast - To use visible restraints on a bird or animal against their will onstage would not go over well. You don't want to offend potential clients with percieved animal cruelty. You may make the props as safe as can be - but the audience WILL percieve it as cruel.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The best thing to do is post pictures of your current props you have using in your current shows. Post with a discription of the effects as you have been using. Then ask if there is a need/use for them.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
This is a great topic Rosewoodmagic! I have built several prototype illusions to be used with smaller livestock such as doves, parakeets, and even a chinchilla. I have played with the idea of releasing these effects to the magic community. I have been researching the rights to each effect. Eventhough it may not be an exact clone of the larger scale illusion which spawned the idea, it is still the same concept and performance. Another hurdle I have stoped at is, How many do you plan to build? Many of the people who own the rights to many of the effects that have been redone (per se) have allowed builders such as Chance Wolf... to build a limited number of illusions. And last, Would a not-so-known builder such as you or myself be appetizing to the consumers? When it comes to marketing your product, will your name spark visions of a well polished performer who just walked away from FISM or PCAM with awards in your desired field of magic. In this case, bird/stage magic. I really can't give too much advice because I am in the same delima as mentioned. I wish you the best in your venture. As I remind myself each day, keep your passion for the art and don't ever let a dream or vision die.
Best of luck,
Bryan Gilles
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
There are already Dove levitations and a dove zig zag so it's not a completely new concept.
Nick
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Very few magicians that work with children would be interested in anything that you “strap” a bird or rabbit into.

Every point that “damien666” about this is on the mark.

Bob
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I think you have a good idea.
There is also a zig zag illusion for the Rocky Raccoon puppet.
Daniel Faith
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I think it sounds like a great idea. However, I echo the cruelty concerns, because you might have some kid try it at home on his own pet. So I would stay away from the sawing and other dismemberment illusions. But vanishes and transpositions and levitations would be terrific and charming. You could really play this as camp for the adults who are present too.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I too would have to agree with the posters that mentioned you will alienate your audience if there is any suggestions of possible restraining of an animal. Vanishes and Appearances would work but restraints..personally I wouldn't do it.

My thoughts anyway and good luck with your business venture.

Chrystal
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lucy and I have done animal magic with everything from horses to goldfish. The need to "strap" one down has never been part of it. It scares me more than it interests me. I don't want to be at the mercy of a scared and struggling animal during the show. There is enough of that in real ranch work to last me.

However, I do understand your interest in miniture illusions. Two people on The Magic Café that are real craftsmen at making professional stage props are Tabman and Ricker. They also enjoy making minitures for other reasons. Make contact with them. You can catch both here on The Café or on PMZZ. Here they will be found usually in the Workshop or Not Very Magical. They have a wealth of knowledge to share on stage, off stage and behind stage.

Enjoy!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Animal Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL