The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Under Water SJ Success (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Just thought I'd let you all know that my first attempt at the under water sj escape has been a great success. I must thank all of you who have taken the time to sponser me with this. I have decided to extend the challenge to an outdoor escape from an old quarry to take place this summer. So if you haven't sponsered me yet you still can!

Thanks,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Way to Go Ros !!
It was a Rush was'nt it Smile

El Cind
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Congratulations! And you should have plugged the video. Modesty gets you nowhere in this business.

Yours,

Paul
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Congratulations Ros! That is awesome!

Allan
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Well done, Ros...there was never any doubt in my mind that it would'nt work out.

~Rick~
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Mazel Tov! I'm glad you've reached your goal, and for a good cause. Just keep swimming...just keep swimming.... Smile I've got the thing stuck in my head!
If it is to be, it is up to me.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Well done Ros Smile

I want to hear all about it at the UKEA meeting mate!

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Thank you all very much. This was my first big escape and I'd like to take this chance to say a massive thank you to Steve Baker for all his help with the preparation and training tips. I couldn't have done it without you Smile

I'll be posting pictures of the escape on my site as soon as I've got time to do so.

Also, stay tuned for the next phase planned for later in the year as I venture outside.

David, you can be sure to hear all about it. I've also got a little surprise that is being sent to me from Ian. I won't say any more, but you cuff collectors will love it!

Cindi, major rush is an understatement. The jacket clings like sh** to a blanket and the sense of fear is just so powerful I couldn't believe it. It took me 30 seconds just to gather myself, calm down and begin thinking about getting out. It took just over 2 minutes in total. My lungs felt like lead, but with all the training I'd done before hand I was ok and managed to drag myself out.

The warnings that come with strait jackets about not doing them underwater should be listened to and this escape should not be attempted unless you've had proper training. I'm glad my first attempt was done in a swimming pool under controlled (?) conditions.

Thanks again one and all,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Ros,

Great job for a great cause! Keep up the good work!

Clyde
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Great Ros. Congratulations.

Daniel - Stay away from the finding Nemo DVD.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ros congratulations. is it possible that you could be in the Guinness Book now ?
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
Nice work Ros! Smile
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Don, I don't know. There's loads of paper work involved with guinness. So I'll have to see.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ros go for it. and see if anyone else has tryed a uw sj escape.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
Some time back received a text message from Weasel Dandaw . . .
"Just jumped off Boscombe Pier in a Straitjacket . . and survived!"

OK, so I was crazy when I was his age Smile

Riley
WEASEL DANDAW
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of WEASEL DANDAW
"The jacket clings like sh** to a blanket and the sense of fear is just so powerful I couldn't believe it."

I can totally empathise with you here. You also neglected to say it weighs a ton.

Way to go Ros. I can't wait till next weekend to discuss it at the U.K.E.A meeting.

Once again, well done mate.

P.S.

Thanks Riley!!!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Ros, congratulations. Some escapes may be seen to be dangerous but THAT ONE REALLY IS. If anyone hasn't tried it, try cleaning a soiled blanket (LOL) to get an idea. It nearly killed Alex Lyall in a Water Torture cell by in 1980.

Instant legend Ros, your courage for just trying is great but to have been successful outstanding.

Stay alive in 2005.

all the best

Ian McColl
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Thanks to everyone who has posted after the last thank you. Your kind words are greatfully recieved. I am in talks with another pool here in the UK to try and do it again but with far more coverage from the media etc. I got a little scared last time as I didn't want to be seen to get it wrong. Next time I hope it will be big. Leading up to the massive escape from the dissused quarry!!
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
I don't know why todays EA doesn't use the Houdini set-up for the underwater escape - long chain LI's above the elbows, chains from same held with a padlock in front at chest level, and hands cuffed behinf the back. IMO it looks far more impressive than a SJ but less risk - that's why HH did it that way . . any comments?

Riley
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Riley, that was the set up for Robert Gallup's Yarra river bridge jump back in 2000. I told him I had a photo of Houdini doing which he said would be good for the publicity. Robert asked me if I could get the book to the TV studio for the photo to be used as an insert still shot during the live feed to Robert's escape.

Only after the escape did he see the photo and saw that Houdini dived in head first, where as Gallup jumped. He said it would have been far better to dive.

I agree that the shackles would be an impressive look and certainly a lot safer but more people could relate to the strait jacket, not that they had been placed in one but I assume many people will have either been in water with clothes on or have had to remove rain soaked clothes and knows how 'difficult' that is.

Ian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Under Water SJ Success (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL