The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting your foot in the door (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
I am searching for a restauraunt gig in my area and I was wondering how to go about having a meeting with the general manager of a restauraunt, to be more precise, I would like to know what to say. I have already spoken to an Applebee's however they already have a form of entertainment and recomended me to another that as of now dosen't have anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on what are some good things to say, I did create a script of what I would say but I would like to add something to it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
I don't have anything to say since I don't, nor have I ever, done any table hopping magic. I would warn you to think carefully about what some of these poeple reccomend since it is easy to be an authority on a subject when you don't have to back it up. There are however some very smart guys on here that work in the trenches and can give you some great advice. But whatever anybody says make sure that you are fine with it and that the approach will be similar to how you will act and present yourself while working. In other words don't go into the interview acting very serious and restrained and then when you get the job act like a goofy fun-filled guy. This is not backed up by actual experieces with magic but I have seen guys that have gone into a job interview wiht one attitude and demenor and then once they got the kob they acted very different and the bosses usually were not happy.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Do a search of the forum, this has been covered and re-covered more times than my granny's sofa Smile
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Kinesis that was funny!!!!! LMAO

when approaching a new restaurant, I have always actually entered the building as a patron with a few friends first. I eat a couple of meals, perform a couple of tricks for the waitstaff and leave my waiter or waitress a GOOD TIP!!!(extremely important)

The next time I come in, the waiter will recognize me, and give me excellent service, but also bring over other crew members and even the manager. Once you are in good with the waitstaff and management, it's a short time before you can interview for a Kidz Night style event.

I have to say, it's easier to convince a locally owned restaurant to hire entertainment then it would be to get on to a franchise, but hey, you'll never know......

Hope it's useful,

Eric Jones
Prestidigitator
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
FTAMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of FTAMagician
I got really LUCKY with this just TODAY!!

Been doing free gigs at a candy store in the semi-small town where I live...and on the answering machine a while ago I find a message from a resturaunt that WANTS ME (!!!!???) to come and do magic for customers there!!!

I know this isn't the way it usually works...but sometimes...pays to do good FREE stuff and see who notices!!!
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Steve J, check out this site with free resources for all kinds of stuff including a long write up of how to get a restaurant job. This advice is golden if you ask me.
http://www.julianspeaks.com Click on "free stuff."
Dann
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
Get your stuff togeother don't think to hard about what you wanna say you know what you wanna do there ask for a 1 hour audition if the the patrons at the restaaurant like your stuff they will tell the manager or maybe have the mananger aproach them after you have done your thing if your impressive enuff you'll get the job.Dont worry so much about what to say to owners or managment just ask for an audition.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Eric Jones,

That was a good tip to tip well. Wait staff work hard for their money.

Creating a positive environment with them is very important. Of course it has been many years since I worked this market. I do more strolling at conventions than in restaurants.

Be well and safe.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
FTAMagician, just make sure your restaurant doesn't expect free gigs like the candy store.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
One time about 4 years ago I was performing magic for a group of my friends in Red lobster and the next thing I knew everybody in the restaurant waitstaff,managers and everybody sitting in that corner section were being bedazzled by a half drunk magician I performed for about 10-15 minutes hell it coulda been an hour and as we were gathering our things the manager came over to thank me for holding up service then asked if I wanted to do magic at the restaurant once or twice a week he then said he had a neice that was having a birthday in a few weeks and asked if I was available.anyways the moral to the story is just perform magic anywhere at anytime and opportunities will open up because you can just never know who anybody is.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Getting your foot in the door (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL