The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Awesome Portable Case At Home Depot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I had been toying with the idea of having a new suitcase table built to replace the current one I use. I wanted something that had either shelves with little cubby holes or something bigger that I could fit everything in and put back into place once I done with an effect.

Yesterday I went to Home Depot to look around and spotted something I immediatley bought. It's called a rolling workshop and is made by Stanley...they've been around forever. It has everything you could ever want in a portable case plus some. The price is not bad either....about $80.00

Go to http://www.homedepot.com and in the search box enter 20626

Let me know what you think. I love it! I used it in a show I had yesterday and it took my setup time down dramatically. It usually takes me almost 20 minutes to get my birthday show ready. Now it takes about 5.

It holds almost my entire show in and the nice part is that its lightweight and has a built in dolly.
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Wow! That looks Great. I might have to go by Home Depot myself anad check it out!!.

Did you find the bottom compartment large enough for your big props?? I know that was a concern of yours, and I have almost the same problem myself.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
What are the dimensions of the unit? Couldn't find them on the site.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
JJP161
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
509 Posts

Profile of JJP161
Todd75,

Thank-you, great looking case, I'm heading over to Home Depot to have a look.

Joe
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Looks pretty nice. Is it very heavy?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
LOL, I don't know about that one...for me anyway.
Maybe you can do something with it to make it look more professional.
I am sure it wouldn't hold my show.
Daniel Faith
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Six thousand cubic inches (6000 in3) is a LOT of space! Your show packs bigger than that?

Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
But it looks like a tool chest..........
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I would imagine you can dress it up to make it not look like a tool chest.. I am interested to know what the dementions of the top are..ie, to use as a table.
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Yes it does look like a tool chest, but you could always hang something off of the back so people don't know what it is. (I.E. blanket, ribbons etc.)

I actually did a search for this item on the Canadian Home Depot site, and guess what. They don't have it!!!

After an internet search I managed to find a similar one at Canadian Tire.

Click Here

Unfortunately, this was is made of plastic as opposed to metal.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Yes, I went to Nome Depot and looked at it. It is really nice except for one thing. It is only 30" high.

I am only 5' 4" but yet I would have to bend over to use the top as a table. Nuts, it looked like a good idea to just roll in and start the show useing the open drawer in back as a savante.

Peter

todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
FYI: You are all right....it does look like a tool chest. However, you can very easily fix that problem as I did. Wal-Mart sells some all purpose carpet in the automotive section. It comes in different colors and is sold by rolls. I covered the entire unit with the carpet and hot glued foam stars all over it. Now it is very bright and very colorful.

It is also very lightweight. The nice part is that it comes with a built in dolly. The bottom compartment will hold several big props.

I am not using mine as my main table. I use this as a side table.
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
538 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
For years I have been looking for a close-up case. and have bought dozens of possible boxes and cases, but have never found one that suits my needs! Here is one I bought a few years ago from the local DIY. It opens like a toolbox, so everyone can look inside, it takes up twice it's area on the table when it's open, and it doesn't have a performing surface! - Complete waste of time!!!

http://homepages.manx.net/johnfcain/magicstuff/case13.jpg

..I had to adapt it a bit.... Now it looks like this!

http://homepages.manx.net/johnfcain/magicstuff/case14.jpg

...and from the magician's side...

http://homepages.manx.net/johnfcain/magicstuff/case11.jpg

(Make your own, but commercial manufacturing rights reserved!!)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The plastic one will probably hold up better than the metal one.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
You think the plastic one would be better Bill?? I guess it really does not matter what it looks like as I was thinking of just covering it with a material similar to what todd has done. I don't know about covering it with carpet, but I'm sure I can find something.

Now....if I can just get off my lazy butt and actually go out and buy one LOL

Well, so much for that idea. I finally went out to take a look at it, and much to my dismay, it is too small for my needs.

It was less than 30" tall and the bottom storage compartment was not as big as I had hoped. (Will not fit some of my larger props) Now if they make one just like that only about 2 times the size, it would be perfect.

Oh well. The search for the perfect prop storage container continues!!
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
FYI: I am using this as a second table to help organize my props. I set it right beside my suitcase table and so far it is working out really great. I put multi-colored stars all over it to make it look better. Now it looks like a magicians table instead of a tool chest.
p:m
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
230 Posts

Profile of p:m
Magic john, How long did it take you to build that? it looks great!
p:m
<BR>www.petermckinnon.com
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The best type of table that I have found to suit my needs is a mobile kitchen cart. They are on castors for easy mobility and they often have a number of drawers, cupboards or trays underneath that hold all of your props quite neatly. When you buy one of these carts, they are open on all sides. That's an easy fix. You can even put on small cupbard style doors on the back to prevent the props from falling out during transport.

The only caution comes in the original packing of your props into the table. Chances are, you will need to tip the table on its side to fit into the trunk of an average car (if you have a van, this problem is avoided in its entirely). Make sure the props are packed properly to avoid damage during transport.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'll keep using a plastic tote on top of a restaurant tray stand. It's easy to carry anywhere, even on stairs. It's very light and so much easier to work out of than drawers or shelves.

I have my props already setup in dividers, so most of my show is set before I arrive at the gig.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Quote:
On 2005-04-30 00:14, Alan Munro wrote:
I'll keep using a plastic tote on top of a restaurant tray stand. It's easy to carry anywhere, even on stairs. It's very light and so much easier to work out of than drawers or shelves.

I have my props already setup in dividers, so most of my show is set before I arrive at the gig.
What is a plastic tote?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Awesome Portable Case At Home Depot (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL