The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Exercises (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Here's a general question for the room.

Suppose you know a young person who is interested in doing magic. To start with she will be doing mostly card tricks at first and then move on to coin tricks.

What regimen of sleights would you prescribe to such a person to enable them to truly develop dexterity and adept handling of cards and / or coins?

Say the person in question is about twelve. Have at it! =)

~M.V.
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?
GEMINI
View Profile
Regular user
WA, USA
193 Posts

Profile of GEMINI
For a 12 year, to start with:

Card magic:
Double lift (very important)
Elmsley count
Classic Palm
False Cuts

Sam
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
A force, a control, a false shuffle and as many revelations of a card as their brain can handle.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I'm not sure I understand but..
(Exercises for dexterity development and NOT as primary sleights?)

Cards:
Charlier Cut.
Side Slip.
False riffle shuffles.
Kelly Bottom Placement.
Diagonal Push Thru.
Elmsley Count.
Double and Triple Lifts and Turnovers.
The Classic Pass.

Coins:
Coin Rolls.
Thumb Palm.
Back Palm.
Tenkai Pinch.
Deep Back Clip and recovery.
Classic Palm.
mentalvic
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of mentalvic
Thanks, all!

I've been practicing some effects on a friend and her family and her daughter is very interested in magic. My friend wanted to know of "a good book on magic" she could get her daughter and I suggested Mark Wilson's "Magic: A Complete Course" and Ogden's book in "The Complete Idiot's Guide to..." series.

But neither book covers all of the sleights. I've got hundreds of dollars worth of books on magic and some the above mentioned sleights aren't even in them!

Thanks!
There she was, a dodgy old prune in a tiara, rushing at me waving a sword. Do all knights suffer this whilst being made?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
At one time I said to a fellow magi that all I needed for cards was Lorayne's "Close Up Card Magic" to be effective. This may still be true but of I now have many other books about cards.

My post above may have been out of place and the exercises were chosen more for strengthening and developing flexibility in the hands.

From what I've read here at the Café' the books you mention are good sources.
Other beginner books are suggested throughout the Café'.
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
A beginner should start with all basic sleights and principles. If I were to start all over again I would have practiced just DL for 2 years straight. But back to the question cards, standard shuffles, false shuffles and card controls. Coins all basic palms classic, finger, downs and thumb clips.
Astonishment as Therapy...?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Exercises (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL