The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What Kind/Brand Computer Would You Recommend? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I've had my E-machines desktop computer now for 15 months, and it's time to get rid of this piece of junk! I have had countless problems over the last year involving replacing the hard drive (under warranty, thankfully) and many other countless glitches and operating problems. I've done everything -- reinstalled my operating system a dozen times, uninstalled SP2, and other stuff. Nothing works.

So....I am thinking of buying a new computer system. I only spent about $750 for my new E-machines computer, and now I see that I need to spend more (about $1500 or so) to get a decent, RELIABLE, STABLE machine. Does anybody have any recommendations on a good computer to get? Any certain specifications? Any and all comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I need a system that can reliably handle some of the newest computer games, surfing the Internet, and other basic general usage. Probably don't need the highest-ended system out there but something still powerful and, most importantly, NOT going to break or go haywire after a few months like my E-machines computer did!
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
With that budget and being in Cali, you can afford a fair amount!

If you have some experience w/ computers, I'd recommend putting one together yourself (ie picking the pieces out individually so you know each component is good quality).

Start with a good motherboard and processor that will suit your needs. Both AMD and Intel have good offerings - and both are quite reliable these days. If you want to play a lot of games, you will need a better processor, but more importantly, a good video card.

You may want to spring for a decent sized hd as well if you're gonna be doing a lot of downloading (plus its not terribly expensive).

NCIX.com is a great place to look around.

Hope this helps,
a.
Logic Defied
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I would have recommended an IBM but now that they have been sold to a company in China I don't know what the quality is now (this is not a slam against the Chinese just the fact that the company has changed).
The fact that you have asked this question I believe that you may not be up to the task of assembling your own system, otherwise Aylm gave the best solution.
I think you would be best served to buy a Dell or a Gateway computer.
I have a Gateway G333 (a dinosaur) and have been very happy with it and any problems I have had with it I caused myself.
Because of the fairly poor support that I got from Gateway (they used to be tops) My next computer will be a Dell.
Here where I work we have several different computers and the ones that everyone is most happy with is Dell but I will NEVER buy a compaq because we have had nothing but problems with them and the company finally got rid of them all.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Quote:
handle some of the newest computer games

Based on this statement alone, you must look at Alienware Buy the best you can afford. This company has them all beat for grapic capabilities. I got one tera-byte system (1,000 GBs) Best graphics card made, for about $2,500. Alienware is a gaming system computer, all others are business oriented. (So are some Alienware systems)
Dennis Michael
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
My company leases PC's ..used to be Dell but since we have outsourced the IT support to IBM...guess what? werre getting their kit...just seen one of their desktops..talk about old fashioned1! about twice the size of the previous Dell
model.

Why don't you go to your friendly PC shop and ask them to knock you good one up?
Howard
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
I have to agree with Den, Alienware are the up and coming name in games computers. They have an excellent reputation and use excellent components.

Other than that I would also recommend building your own from scratch as you can build exactly what you want (budget permitting) and you will also learn a lot about how it all goes together which will help you to diagnose any problems in the future.
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I've had good experience with my Dell.
It's not a gamers machine but Dell has a machine for your needs I'm sure.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

I have recommended Dell for many years, however, recently after you add the required extras, you're way up in price. I managed to save close to $1,000 by going with Alienware. Do a comparison of the two, and make your choice.

As for building your own, that is what I always did until I found out it was cheaper to go with Alienware. (I had a corporation Micro Systems Consaultants which built and sold computers)
Dennis Michael
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Etch-A-Sketch
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I am a Mac person, and we are not supposed to argue about religion here at the Café.

The one thing you are guaranteed is that while your friends are cursing the viruses that brought down their machines and wiped their hard drives, you will just keep on running. If you do a lot of graphic work you will like the Mac better. The downside is that while there are many games written for the Mac, it is a fraction of what's available for PCs.

The perception is that they cost too much, but you might like the cheaper ones that Apple has introduced recently.

Yours,

Paul
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Mac People are Loyaled to their machines. And if you planning on making a career in the Graphic design area, you do need to go to a graphic design convention so you can make realistic decisions.

Fifteen Years ago, for every PC there was 100 Macs at those shows. I haven't been to one since, so I don't know what todays Graphic Conventions are like.

Like Paul, who has spent his learning experience and computer life on the Mac, I have done the same with the PC (Exception: Before the college switched from Mac to PCs, I did learn on the 1985 Macs.)

Some people like to entertain Kids and others don't...It's the same with computers.
Dennis Michael
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
The new VTech looks very awesome, have you seen the commercials ?!
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
Hey Glen D are you aware that the VTech is the worst childish videogame system on the face of the planet? lol btw I own a recently new dell laptop, I've only got a 14 incher but that helps battery life and such. that's why I purchased yesterday a 20 inch wide ultrasharp monitor for movies! Dell now owns Alienware. Alienware gets the new graphics cards weeks after dell. and the dells score better,( cnet) I'd try to stick away from gateway or hp b/c the support and recent parts are told to be way out dated.
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Glen,

Take a look at the new Macs (they now have Intel processors). You can load Windows XP and run native software on the Mac! Maybe the best of both worlds?

Regards, Steve
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I am a Voodoo man...simply the best.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I'm a Mac convert. Put it off for years because I had thousands of dollars tied up in PC software. I gave my IBM Thinkpad to my daughter and bought a MacBook since they'll now run my critical PC software packages. I will never go back to a Microsoft system. I mean, seriously..there's as much difference between a PC and a Mac as an 8-track and a CD player. Why did I wait so LONG?!?

Skip Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
GO MAC and you'll never go back!!!

Ellen
(owner of g5)
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I too am a Mac user. But, for gaming, I would use Alien or George's Voodoo machine.
POOF!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I have a Dell destop and a Sony Vaio laptop. So far, they have proved to be very reliable and easy to use. I really like the Sony Vaio and I'd not hesitate to buy another one again.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
I've bought a number of Sony Vaio's over the years and I'm very happy also. There's an online company called Tiger Direct that often has good buys on brand name computers.

http://www.tigerdirect.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What Kind/Brand Computer Would You Recommend? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL