The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy Stand Up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
I want to do three comedy tricks standup. Doens't have to be pure comedy because I can make it my own. I quite like the Arm Chopper, Lady Rope Routine by Michael Finnay and Linking Coat Hangers but any other ideas will be great.
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
I do a comedy routine here in the states and found out that the revolving head or head twister gets a good laugh. I also use the sword through the neck trick with a volunteer I know and slip them fake blood capsules. After the initial shock, people have approached me after the show and pointed out that these were their favorites.

I have posted on another thread regarding the...I'll call it "the rising crotch"
It's a cotton napkin and a butter knife held near your mid section. Knife concealed behind the napkin and held between the thumb and forefinger. Pinch the blade part not the handle. With a slight wrist movement...you have "the crotch rising."
Believe in yourself and the magic will come.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2005-04-01 16:52, STEVIE D wrote:
I WANT TO DO THREE COMEDY TRICKS STAND UP. DOESN'T HAVE TO BE PURE COMEDY COS I CAN MAKE IT MY OWN. I QUITE LIKE THE ARM CHOPPER. LADY ROPE ROUTINE BY Michael FINNAY, LINKING COAT HANGERS BUT ANY OTHER IDEAS WILL BE GREAT

Hey, Stevie,

Your CAPS LOCK is stuck again; that's very annoying for the rest of us.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Stevie,

You can't "buy" comedy magic, regardless of what any dealer ad says. Comedy is not bought, it's "earned" by repeatedly getting in front of an audience and seeing what works. If they laugh, it's probably worth keeping. If they don't, ditch it.

Now they may laugh and it (the bit, the line, the gag, etc) may STILL not be worth keeping, but that's a subject for another day.

But keep in mind, just obtaining a trick won't make it funny, even if you buy a "funny script". Example: Mike Caveny is hilarious juggling plastic arms. About a year ago I saw an otherwise very respectable pro die using this routine. Now, am I saying "don't buy Caveny's routine"? No. I'm saying it will take plenty of LIVE WORK to make it or any other routine consistently comedic.

So if you want to be funny, think in terms of YOU, not the tricks. Only by know YOU will you be able to know what tricks are suitable for your character.

Just my two cents.

Working hard,

DD

PS: I second Mr. Wayne's comment re: all caps.
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
I've tested my comedy on open mic nights at comedy clubs. Even thought those crowds are sparse, other comedians do know a good joke and will always give you a compliment or some productive critism. I've learned that comedians are a somewhat honest breed of entertainers and are willing to better your act with an idea or share some sort of secret they have experienced.

Go to these clubs, sign up on the open mic list. Watch the other comedians. How do they present themselves? Being a comedian magician, that puts me in the category of semi-prop comic. The Amazing Johnathan is a good example of funny magic...to an extreme!

Remember a good story behind a trick is always gold.

Try your act on your friends first...then the clubs....always Experiment.

Magically Delicious,
Sonny

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Thank you for the good reply sonny. however I would like to say to others that I understand comedy tricks cant be bought. I have been doing magic long enough to know this, however not done stand up before I was looking for help and ideas. not a lecture on buying comedy. for instance the vanishing bandana is comedy and I was looking for tricks that are in the same catogory however I do appreciate that you make tricks funny there is only so much you can do with it. imagine trying to make twisting the aces funny, a very hard job indeed. any other advice on comedy stand up ais very welcome
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
**I hope this is the same trick I'm thinking of...
Twisting the Aces might be switched with Queens. You could put a story to it about asking each Queen/Girl out for a date and each one turns her back on you. Punchline: "Ok, I got a credit card, who wants to go shopping?" Now they all face you.

I do the Ghost Kings with Queens and use that guideline for some loose comedy.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy Stand Up (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL