The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Sources for a cool effect I have seen?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
I saw a magician do an ambitious card routine, when the card traveled up the deck he actually made the edge do a riffle from bottom to top. I had never seen that, many times a magician will say "If you look closely you'll see the card run up" but it never does, this time it did I was floored. I am sure it's a simple move I have toyed with running a finger or a nail up the deck, but either I am off track or not nimble enough to do it. Is there a source for this little touch?
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
My good buddy Lee Asher does this in his lecture. I think he may have it in some notes as well. I am sure there are a few other places to find but I don't know off top.

Check out Lee's site and ask him for some info on it.

leeasher.com

Hope this helps
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
MnemonicaRedux
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of MnemonicaRedux
It's called "The Ripple", and is taught in Lee Asher's "Le' Asher" notes. The move itself does not belong to Lee, but he has a VERY cool handling of it, called "Riding the Ripple".

Get the notes, man... you've already seen how good the stuff can be Smile

-Kev
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
I believe that it was taught in an issue of Genii or Magic Magazine a few years back.

K.C.
CardConjurer
View Profile
Loyal user
South Florida
202 Posts

Profile of CardConjurer
It is taught in Daryls Ambitious Card Video under the name "Ambitious Movie" I think its called.
I like cards.
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
You nailed it kev. I just was hanging out with Lee about a month ago and we were talking about it. I was drawing a mind blank the other day with my post and just could not think of the name. Yea, lees add on is the grip, and the car production at the top. Very nice.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
"It is taught in Daryls Ambitious Card Video under the name "Ambitious Movie" I think its called."

If Dr. North is talking about Lee's "Riding the Ripple" it is not taught on Daryls video. You are correct though about Roy Waltons move "Ambitous movie", it is taught on Daryls Ambitous card video.

Jason
MnemonicaRedux
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

While the appearance to laymen is the same, the grips for "Ambitious Movie" and "The Ripple/Riding the Ripple" are quite different... the former is held in a small spread, while the other(s) is held in a position that-I-am-too-lazy-too-describe-so-I-won't. And yeah, if my memory doesn't fail me this time either, The Ripple belongs to Tom Mullica.

-Kev
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
"And yeah, if my memory doesn't fail me this time either, The Ripple belongs to Tom Mullica."

Close, it actually belongs to Tom Allen from Sacrmento, California.

Jason
artwo
View Profile
Veteran user
South England
332 Posts

Profile of artwo
Is the move a bit like the raise rise?
MnemonicaRedux
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

D'oh! I just got JasOWN3D Smile

Anyways, artwo... the move itself is not like raise rise, where the card is outjogged and rise up section by section, but makes for a less-skilled solution Smile The impact is still "1337!!!!111oneshiftone!!!!" though Smile

-Kev
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
The effect is that the deck is displayed between thumb and middle finger, as it is said that they may see teh card run up, a ripple slides up teh deck. It's very very cool
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Sources for a cool effect I have seen?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL